Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Ian d

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Ian d » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Is the stop\start disabled in sport mode? Some cars I've driven with stop\start have it auto disabled when sport model is selected.

Seems to be random if it works or not reading this thread though.
2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY, Loire blue, ICTP, 380w Meridian, 350mm brakes, climate pack, parking pack, sports pedals, keyless, power-fold mirrors, 10 way seats, 4 way lumbar, extra sockets. Black/Oyster interior.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm

51mes wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:11 pm
Question if you don't mind, when you do a regen charge do you disconnect the battery from the car? Not sure how the Jag electronics take to having the battery removed...

I have a ctek that I've used to maintain my boat/sportscar batteries over winters over many years, but much simpler systems.

S.
I watched the dealer just connect the very large chargers to several cars in the showroom and saw that they connect it mainly to the battery terminals. Only once did I see one chap connect the earth to the earth post in the engine compartment. So as the car is under warranty I did the same and have done several times since. The CTek charger has electronics in it to enable safe charging, without disconnecting. Mine came with 2 cables of which one set were croc clips style and the other for permanent fixture to be bolted on the terminals. I gave mine a regen charge some time back and then a couple of weeks later another regen charge. Since then I just give it a top up charge if I haven't driven it for 3 days or more. This usually takes around 3 hours. I suspect that this is unecessary and is just what I do. The S/S has functioned flawlessly ever since. I put mine on normal battery and AGM as the batteries are AGM type ( Absorbant Gas Mat). The AGM batteries need regeneration to release hydrogen around 2x per year. I have the CTek MXS5.0. The Jaguar branded item is a CTek charger of lesser spec and can be permanently fitted to the car.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Ian d wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm
Is the stop\start disabled in sport mode? Some cars I've driven with stop\start have it auto disabled when sport model is selected.

Seems to be random if it works or not reading this thread though.
Ian have a look at this for the better answer than I can give. It works in drive and sport but NOT paddle shift.
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/documen ... c/G1660254

Fair2

Post by Fair2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 am

That is my understanding also. If using paddles and you want to use stop/ start ,say whilst having a long wait ,just hold up right paddle i.e. Back to drive and it will switch back on.
Robert :D
R-Sport,Petrol 177kw,8speed automatic,IRR with jet/red with red, 18 Matrix 7 spoke silver, Meridian 380 W sound system, 60 / 40 folding rear seats ,Spare wheel saver, Park assist , Auto Parking ,Rear Camera ,10 x 10 way electric seats

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:28 am

Vespa wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm
Ian have a look at this for the better answer than I can give. It works in drive and sport but NOT paddle shift.
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/documen ... c/G1660254
Number 6 on the "why it won't work" list is interesting.
It mentions demand on the climate control system requires the engine to be running.

I remember a member posting on here about a chat with a techie who said that stop start won't work until the internal temp in the car has reached the temp set on the climate control system.
I would think that the car having to heat the car until it achieves the set temp is a demand and does need the engine to be running.
Might explain a few failures.........?
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

richmond

Post by richmond » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:24 am

Yes, I think 8 reasons why it starts again automatically and 9 reasons why it won't work at all must cause a lot of mistaken cries of 'Fault'. It's very complicated and that's why they called it 'Intelligent'. To my mind complicated means more chance of going wrong.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 pm

richmond wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:24 am
Yes, I think 8 reasons why it starts again automatically and 9 reasons why it won't work at all must cause a lot of mistaken cries of 'Fault'. It's very complicated and that's why they called it 'Intelligent'. To my mind complicated means more chance of going wrong.
Exactly.
There are so many variables with the thing that it's not surprising there are many suggestions of a fault when it's actually working (or not as is the case) within it's design parameters.
I went out shopping this morning.
On my screen I get an icon when it isn't available.
Unlike normal I left it on and noticed that whenever I came to a halt the logo would come up saying it wasn't available.
No battery issues or anything else but it seemed to be the temp in the car.
I had set the temp to a pretty cool 19 degrees and didn't use the aircon as it was a shortish journey and the old fashioned open a window "aircon" was enough but obviously kept the interior a little warmer than the set temp.
Presumably the difference in temperature (hot or cold) is enough to stop it working.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.

Vespa

Stop start again, sorry!

Post by Vespa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

Well mine has eventually packed up completely now and no matter what I do it won't operate. So it is booked in on Friday for a health check of all systems. JTB00492V2 I will let you all know if it is sorted.

ColinR

Re: Stop start again, sorry!

Post by ColinR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 am

Mine's not been working all week but I suspect that is because the windscreen heater's been on as well as heater etc.

I assume it only works when there is little power drain on the battery?

PhilB

Re: Stop start again, sorry!

Post by PhilB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 am

ColinR wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 am
Mine's not been working all week but I suspect that is because the windscreen heater's been on as well as heater etc.

I assume it only works when there is little power drain on the battery?
There is a big list of reasons why it won't work including the car not being up to the set internal temp, etc etc.
Plus anything that requires the engine running to operate like the windscreen de-icer.

Return to “Faults & Technical”