Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
UV Blue

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by UV Blue » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

irishtaff wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Mine hasn't worked for 3 years...except a couple of times at traffic lights, when it caught me out, I thought I must have stalled it.
My wife won't drive it she says it's unnecessarily complicated, and has a fear that it would catch her out one day..hates the parking brake too.
I have some sympathy...
you raise good point irishtaff - my s/s worked once last weekend (and not since) and it caught me out and I thought I had stalled at the junction! It should either work 100% or not at all.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Santorini Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Nearly every seller of batteries for the XE are offering 95Ah versions and not the 80Ah version that is factory fitted. Halfords seem the best buy at £189 and £15 to fit and mate up to the cars brain. It seems that this is the cure. It is also guaranteed for 4 years.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:27 pm

That is route I will be taking Vespa, if the dealer says on Monday battery is ok, I will get the 95Ah, and if everything works properly, I will be letting JLR have my opinion.
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

irishtaff

Post by irishtaff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Seems wrong Repairman that you may have to stump up £200 for a new battery.... will you keep the 80Ah as a spare ? Interested to know how you get on.
Prestige 2.0D MY16 180 IRR, Manual, Light Oyster,Sunroof, !8" Matrix silver wheels, Nav, Lighting Pack, Towbar, Rev assist, Spare wheel, Folding mirrors, and rear seats, Meridian Audio. (+ Skoda exhaust trim )

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 pm

I do agree its wrong, in the olden days, I am sure many would agree, mechanic would have said lets try a new battery and see if that fixes it for a trial period. In fact with the Mondeo, when me and mechanic were unsure which component might be at fault, it was cheaper for me to buy said components and test. The Jag testing tech seems to be as unreliable as the tech in the car.
And yes I will keep the 80Ah as a spare, will post how I get on.

PS, I would love to know why RAC sell their batteries at over a £100 dearer and only has a 3 year warranty
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 am

Mine is fitted with the 80ah battery, I don't use it for several days at a time and when I do, it's mainly short rural journeys of about 5 miles, and unless I turn it off, it works within the 1st half mile every time.

Isn't it strange that for those who's cars the stop/start doesn't work moan they want it too, and for those of us who it does work for wish it didn't :lol: :lol:
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

mr.madonsims

Post by mr.madonsims » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Make sure your dealer is testing the battery with 3080 tester as the 1080 doesn't test the battery correctly Also make sure they test it with the eco health check within sdd and pathfinder And as a owner switch the air/con heating panel off and see if it works then and also be aware that the petrol version must be in closed loop before the stop start operates

StillStanding

Post by StillStanding » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 pm

What do you mean by ‘closed loop’?

My petrol XE stop start has worked twice in 3 months.
XE Portforlio 2.0L 200PS Petrol Fienza Red, parking pack, folding mirrors, spacesaver spare wheel, 40:20:40 folding rear seat, probably more I haven't found yet

mr.madonsims

Post by mr.madonsims » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:31 pm

When the oxygen sensor is being used to alter the emissions

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:54 am

Furthur thickening of the stop/start plot. :D
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Return to “Faults & Technical”