Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
mr.madonsims

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by mr.madonsims » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 am

I think people don't realise that it isn't a basic system it monitors a lot of vehicle parameters ie. Air conditioning wether the vehicle requests cold air if it wants hot air is the drivers seat belt on, drivers door shut is the foot brake on is it in drive or neutral/park is the battery at a voltage level where the system knows it will crank and 're start all these things will stop the car going into eco stop start

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 am

All those points have been mentioned, but thank you for the reminder.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:37 pm

mr.madonsims wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 am
I think people don't realise that it isn't a basic system it monitors a lot of vehicle parameters ie. Air conditioning wether the vehicle requests cold air if it wants hot air is the drivers seat belt on, drivers door shut is the foot brake on is it in drive or neutral/park is the battery at a voltage level where the system knows it will crank and 're start all these things will stop the car going into eco stop start
We do realise, but we don't understand why it will work on one car that isn't used everyday, and then only for short trips, but doesn't work on another car that is used everyday with long motorway drives that should charge everything up to max.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 pm

An update on mine, since the warranty replacement if the battery the stop/start is still working all the time, so that’s two months now lol, same mix of driving as previously so on the face of it the problem was a substandard battery in my case.

Cheers
R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, jet/red seats with jet headlining, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot (previously not used, now keeps children entertained on long journeys) electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 am

I think that all the earlier batteries were standard and we have been fobbed off. Luckily I have been giving mine a bit of use and at present theS/S is working fully at present. I did give it a recon again about 10 days ago and since that last recon it has been OK. I am not bothered if the battery packs up as i will get the £189 (95Ah) one from Halfords with the 4 year guarantee if it does. They can fit for £15 and connect it to the car electronics.

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 pm

latest in my saga
I have been in again to dealer, and they tested battery which they claim is fine, and did some form of software update (did not tell me what and receipt does not show), and 3 days later, S/S has started functioning correctly, only time it doesn't work is if you have aircon on auto and it is pumping air thro at a high rate.
Time will tell how long it lasts
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am

Since my treble dose of regen my S/S is working perfectly.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:28 am

As regards the dealers testing the battery, didn't I read somewhere that there was a recent notice sent out to them to use a different testing unit ?
Could explain why so many were being told it was ok only for it to fall on it's arse a few days later.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 am

Yes, and I still think the basic problem is that the battery is underpowered for occasional users.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:18 pm

I think Vespa is right. I've been doing longer drives lately and mine is now behaving itself. I'm back on short journeys so this week we will see how long it lasts.

Return to “Faults & Technical”