Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Britannia

Re: Stop/start permanently off?

Post by Britannia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi I am sorry to say one who likes the stop/start feature. Yes it does have a mind of its own but i like to save fuel if stopped for more than a minute and it saves the environment at the same time. I have paid good English money for my Cat and would like it to work as sold and not to be told that the battery needs to be trickle charged literally weekly to maximise the charge on a 3 year old battery. To me it has lost its holding charge capability. Most lead acid batteries give good service for about 6-7 years then fade a bit. I fitted quire a few in my time.
I do a 60 mile trip monthly and every 3 months a 340 mile trip and yep it works for a week or two then stops again. I am not keen on buying a new battery to have it working. I gather Jaguar replaced batteries under warranty but mine is now 3 years and 3 weeks old, so no warranty. I will look at extended warranty anyway. I did not buy a Cat to have it on charge ..its the job of the alternator and battery. The Battery to hold the charge for starting in the first place and the alternator to run the electrics when the engine is running. I remember starting cars with dynamos and disconnecting the battery and with slightly raised revs the engine kept running..

Wastegate84

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Wastegate84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:30 pm

There is no issue with the battery capacity and no solution is required as the system works as expected.

The dealer's comment about the charging system is inaccurate and comes from someone who clearly has little knowledge of how the system actually functions.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm

I have just done yet another recon and charge on my battery and no sign of the s/s working. I've had the car for nearly 7 months and in all that time it has worked for just three weeks and that's only after being in the dealership on two occasions. It worked for two weeks after the first visit and one week after the second visit. Even 100 mile trips make no difference.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I am giving up on this now as it appears that 98% have problems and they apparently are designed to be there as per the instructions in the manual. Basically it will not work as expected because of several built in safeguards that will kick in to stop it working on nearly all cars but for the lucky few.

PhilB can you close this thread now and lock it as spending 3 years putting ideas forward from observations and getting some results on my car it appears the thread has got too involved with too many factors. I see some have no problems and others do. That's the way it works.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:23 pm

I think for the majority it works fine. If you do short journeys then what can you expect.

There may be a few people who have had strange scenarios, maybe the car sat idle for a while or apparently there were a few 'suspect' batteries but on the whole it looks ok.

Like I said I've had at least 15 different loan cars and it always worked fine. That is more than just luck.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Vespa wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm
PhilB can you close this thread now and lock it as spending 3 years putting ideas forward from observations and getting some results on my car it appears the thread has got too involved with too many factors. I see some have no problems and others do. That's the way it works.
Of course.
I think we are still going round in circles and there's enough info on here for people to try fixes etc.
Thread closed.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 am

Whilst this topic is locked, it's still important to add any new information that comes to light for future reference.
Some very good downloads about battery condition and stop start in this topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7251&start=30
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 am

Realising that trying to keep stop start from perpetually appearing on new topics is a bit like herding cats, I have unlocked this one.
Please only add NEW information that hasn't already been posted.
:D
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm

The latest for MY17 0n SSM73948-D7a...................... it's on Topix "Access denied" It is the latest on Stop/Start.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am

Disaster!
For the first time in 20 months of ownership my stop start has started working.
Every bloody time!
Even when the engine is cold.
I should have smelt a rat as when I drove away from the dealer last week after having an O2 sensor replaced the digi dash was on another theme and the tyre pressures were now in Bar instead of PSI.
So I think those scallywags did some tinkering with the software on the dash (it was due one according to topix for the dash going blank (never has)) and maybe some kind of S/S update too ?
Should have noticed as on start up now I get a green "A" in a circle on the left side of the dash showing the feckin thing is working.
Going back in on Monday for another headlamp washer unit so I'll do some "interrogation" and try and find out about what they did to the S/S.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.

Return to “Faults & Technical”