Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Vespa

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 am

Without any recharging mine is still working when the engine gets to about 1/4 up the temp scale.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am

Vespa wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:25 am
After a deep recharging of the battery with the CTek charger in AGM/ Regen mode the stop /start has worked everytime since even after just a few hundred yards from cold. I delved into the scientifics of these new batteries that are now in modern cars and they seem to require a special charge and regeneration at least once every 12 months or more if not getting good charging from longer trips. They were originally developed for use in aircraft to avoid acid leakage. I suspect JLR have realised this after replacing hundreds of perfectly good batteries for no reason other than a regeneration charge. My car is booked in next week for 2 days to have the battery charged and to see if the charge holds overnight. I am sure it will now as I carried out the regeneration charge on Saturday and it took 9 hours to complete. Normally it takes about 3-4 hours to top it up.
The assessment in my starter post was off mark as the battery could not get to it's peak charge even after such long runs, until the regeneration was carried out.
Just spotted this so I have put mine on a CTek recon - it does state in the CTek guide that it should be done annually :)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Chris, since then and much hair pulling I replaced the battery with a 90Ah version and it works perfectly now. Don't give up with the recon it may work as it did on mine for a while.

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm

So... I've got something to add... It's something I've noticed after doing some short journeys... And thought I'd share...

Two weekends ago, I drove to York (120 miles one way) and during the week did short journeys. At this time, S/S was reluctant to work. Battery, I assume, would have been nicely charged and to its maximum charge capacity. During the week, doing short 6/7 miles to and from work, S/S remained a no no.

Last weekend, did a few short journeys, around 2/2.5 miles, stopping the car completely and double locking both times (I always double lock btw). First stop, the car was rested for an hour, then second stop for around 5 minutes (petrol station visit). During these short drives, no S/S. But upon starting the car after my petrol station visit, driving around the corner and then stopping at traffic lights, S/S kicked in. Then again half mile down the road (another set of traffic lights)... And again after a 45 mile drive.

Never touched a battery charger, but thought I'd share this.
Could the car be learning shorter journeys and request the S/S works? Also assuming the battery is adequately charged?

Still confused..
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Interesting and another thought on the vapours of S/S. I think there will be a feature film made on this subject with it's mysterious ways of working or not working. Sci Fi probably. :lol: :lol:

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun May 12, 2019 5:19 pm

kkrazy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm
Edit : -
Last weekend, did a few short journeys, around 2/2.5 miles, stopping the car completely and double locking both times (I always double lock btw). First stop, the car was rested for an hour, then second stop for around 5 minutes (petrol station visit). During these short drives, no S/S. But upon starting the car after my petrol station visit, driving around the corner and then stopping at traffic lights, S/S kicked in. Then again half mile down the road (another set of traffic lights)... And again after a 45 mile drive.
That has striking similarities to my experience the other evening, see my previous post! :o

Five minute stop with a full locking and afterwards it worked, a couple of times.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Philtrum

Post by Philtrum » Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am
Vespa wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:25 am
After a deep recharging of the battery with the CTek charger in AGM/ Regen mode the stop /start has worked everytime since even after just a few hundred yards from cold. I delved into the scientifics of these new batteries that are now in modern cars and they seem to require a special charge and regeneration at least once every 12 months or more if not getting good charging from longer trips. They were originally developed for use in aircraft to avoid acid leakage. I suspect JLR have realised this after replacing hundreds of perfectly good batteries for no reason other than a regeneration charge. My car is booked in next week for 2 days to have the battery charged and to see if the charge holds overnight. I am sure it will now as I carried out the regeneration charge on Saturday and it took 9 hours to complete. Normally it takes about 3-4 hours to top it up.
The assessment in my starter post was off mark as the battery could not get to it's peak charge even after such long runs, until the regeneration was carried out.
Just spotted this so I have put mine on a CTek recon - it does state in the CTek guide that it should be done annually :)
When I asked CTEK about this I was surprised by their reply:
“AGM batteries and GEL batteries does not get stratified so RECOND are a waist (sic) of time! GEL batteries can even be slightly harmed by using RECOND. Best regards CTEK Support”
When I checked my Ctek MXS manual it did state: Recond option 15.8V/1.5A Use to return energy to the empty WET and Ca/Ca batteries - no mention of AGM.
XES 3.0L V6. Glacier White. Panoramic sun roof.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 pm

78 pages on this thread now and still nobody can explain why stop start does/does not work
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am

Indianajons wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 pm
78 pages on this thread now and still nobody can explain why stop start does/does not work
Hence my talks with Netflix to make a film about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ratman

Post by ratman » Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 am

Vespa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am
Indianajons wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 pm
Hence my talks with Netflix to make a film about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :D
2017 Jaguar XE 2.0d 180 R-Sport Auto Caesium Blue pictues here -->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7637

Return to “Faults & Technical”