Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Mike Rometer

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am
That will sort it mine works fine with the new more powerful battery.
That's the first full journey that I've completed in the car, where the S/S has worked to perfection, i.e. 3 times. Well it is only four miles and I did get a couple of green lights on the way back.

I'm thinking about starting a thread on updates, and the policies that drive them. (see added to ICT Pro Updates)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7385
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 29, 2019 3:14 pm

I have been looking at lots of other forums for all makes of cars and it seems that stop start is pretty much a problem for all makes and is usually found on cars over two years of age with low mileages. Higher mileage cars are getting low battery start engine warnigs when the S/S fails even though they otherwise operate normally.Four to six years is the seeming life of the batteries these days. All good to know that it affects other makes by the score. It looks that the cheapest power battery is fitted in production. Strange how the after market suppliers specify 95 Ah for the XE. I bet that means that the chance of battery failure is minimised, as a S/S problem. Probably the extra cost in manufacture, for a more powerful battery, would save thousands overall, in unecessary testing and loan cars, for JLR.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

lexie

Post by lexie » Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 pm

I think you may be right Vespa. My Fiat 500 (now has 112,000 miles so not worth selling) was showing 'stop/start not available' intermittently for about 12 months when the car was about 6 years old. Then on a particularly cold morning the car started, but immediately cut out when I tried to open the frosted drivers window. Dead as a dodo, no sign of life on the dash at all or any interior lights, no solenoid clicks, nothing. New AGM battery fitted and it was all back to normal, the start/stop unavailable messages all vanished. Most amazing was the way the battery died completely, I'd never seen that before.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed May 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 pm
I'm thinking about starting a thread on updates, and the policies that drive them. (see added to ICT Pro Updates)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7385
We have enough topics on updates/ICTPro software updates etc etc for yet another new one.
Please use existing topics as you seem to have done.
Thanks.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu May 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Sorry but I'm going to keep it going (this thread).

After the return yesterday and the actual full trip with working S/S/ I took it this morning to M's for some shopping (5 mile trip, so a bit short for the battery). It worked all the way there, it didn't work once on the way back. This afternoon I went for a 20 mile drive to an appointment, and it didn't work all the way there apart from once where I thought it was about to stop as I lifted the brake to move off. On the way back it didn't for the first short part (cold?) but then worked at most places except roundabouts (???). I realised later that all these roundabouts have bell mouth entries, if you turn the wheel as you stop does it assumes you are manoeuvring so doesn't? At one other place, the lights changed a bit suddenly and I hit the stoppers with enough force to dip the suspenders, but in a dead straight line, again it didn't stop (emergency?). Unfortunately at almost all the places it didn't stop, those were the one where it would have had most effect. When it did it was for no more than a couple of seconds three at the most.

I claim a massive improvement, but not yet Utopia.

I do now seem to have gained a misfire on tick-over. :?
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Wright24

Post by Wright24 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Mine is still working fine since they reset the monitoring system but I still get a S/S cut out for 7 seconds and then it restarts the engine but I think that’s down to climate if anything just seems very sensitive! I’m pretty sure the only concrete fix is a new battery with better CCA

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:14 pm
Sorry but I'm going to keep it going (this thread).
Fine, I was referring to your post about starting another new topic on updates which already has several existing topics.

As regards this saga, I do wonder if more recent members have read back and seen the official list from the manual of when S/S won't work
which has been repeatedly posted throughout this topic.
In many cases of it not working you may well find the reason is one of criteria mentioned in the manual.

There is an ongoing topic on the Velar forums about rollback on a hill when stop start engages.
It should hold on the hill with the engine off due to a "hill hold" bit of trickery but some are having issues.
One "cure" has been to move the steering wheel when stopped which prevents stop start operating and keeps the engine running.
Just another one for the list.
:D
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am

Touching the steering wheel just a tad will start the engine everytime the S/S has been activated and likewise just moving it at a stop before it has initiated will stop the s/s working. You will notice that there is about 1 1/2 secs or so after stopping before the S/S takes hold. That small movement on stopping, of the steering wheel will abandon the S?S initiating.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 am

Just missed Phils latest post before my posting. Similar.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri May 31, 2019 8:58 am

Vespa wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 am
Just missed Phils latest post before my posting. Similar.
Great minds and all that!
:lol:
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.

Return to “Faults & Technical”