Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Mikeyjd

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Mikeyjd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:15 am

clivetay33 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 pm
Wish I had got mine fixed as was in a 2 hour jam yesterday on M2. Must get it done whilst in warranty
I would imagine 2 hours of constant stop start cycling would really hammer the battery. Maybe it would have stopped working in those conditions anyway.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am

It should stop 'stopping' once the battery gets below the specified voltage. Prior to that situation I would probably have turned it off anyway.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

wdig

Post by wdig » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:27 pm

The final solution ?

Our 380S built July 2017 was bought by us in August last year.
On our test drive the S/S was inoperative but I was assured that this would be fixed by a long run. Needless to say, a 60 mile trip home after purchase failed to change the situation. The dealership had left a note of battery testing in the glove compartment showing the battery was OK some 3 months before purchase but with no note of subsequent testing. I therefore concluded that the battery had been damaged by standing without the requisite recharging. I charged the battery at home a couple of times and the S/S worked for a day, then fell silent on both occasions.
My main concern was that I would shortly be on the hook for an expensive battery.
Taking the car to our local dealer late last year they charged the battery and did some "upgrades" to the software and pronounced the battery OK (however using the discounted tester). One again, function for a couple of days then nothing.
I left matters until last month's year 2 service at Dick Lovett, Melksham. They checked the battery out with the new tester and pronounced it OK, and organised some software updates.
Lo and behold the S/S has functioned faultlessly since, cutting in after 1-2 miles with temperature halfway to normal and A/C running.
I can only conclude that their updates included a new JLR resetting of the voltage requirement for S/S operation. I would be interested to hear whether anyone else has had a service / update in the last month with the same result.

The only downside is that I now need to press the "no S/S" button every trip (after the first S/S intervention which will give me an early warning of eventual battery failure!)

mrb

Post by mrb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 pm

I thought it might have been battery on 2016 XE but then it starts working again despite no long runs. It is booked in to be looked at.
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:39 am

I've never been that concerned about the stop/start not working till now. My wife bought a Skoda Citigo in March and the stop/start is still working perfectly, despite her never doing a journey longer than ten miles. She's rather smug about it, so I've decided that my dealer will see me regularly till they get it sorted. The XE is with them even as I type this response.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Mine seems to still be doing just what it should after just about a month. Having said that, I have yet to notice even the slightest difference in fuel consumption, good or bad. I suppose I should be content with that.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm told that my battery and my gateway module weren't talking to each other, and the module thought that the battery was very low. It's been fixed.

Time will tell.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm

I remember when batterys only talked to the dynamo or alternator and passed on the info to lamps, ignition and other items of electrical influence. I hate these farcical electronics with more things to go wrong. :x
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Vespa wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm
I remember when batterys only talked to the dynamo or alternator and passed on the info to lamps, ignition and other items of electrical influence. I hate these farcical electronics with more things to go wrong. :x
Ahhh nostalgia!! The good old days when you had an ammeter flicking away on the dash :D :D
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:59 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Vespa wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm
Ahhh nostalgia!! The good old days when you had an ammeter flicking away on the dash :D :D
Ah yes, and tomorrow, just for nostalgia's sake, I will be working on one of them, a ubiquitous Moggie! At least I will know exactly what everything is supposed to be doing and how it does it.

Return to “Faults & Technical”