New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Tomb

New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Tomb » Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi folks

Second post & I just got her a couple of days ago!

I picked up 2015 180D Portfolio (32k on clock) about 10 days ago from main Jaguar dealer.

When I got home I noticed aircon wasn't working & engine management light was on (amber).

Car went back to dealer for a few days & aircon regassed & software updated.

Got the car back 3 days ago and after 3 x 50mile round trips to work (mostly fast B roads) the engine management light is on amber again today.

Obviously going back to the garage again but wondering if you have any thoughts / advice.

Cheers.

Vespa

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Vespa » Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am

Ask what is causing it from the codes thrown up. It is possible that the DEF system is playing up but that usually is within the first 1000 miles. It can occur at higher mileages. That is a bit of a long shot though. (SSM 72608 DTC P20E8 is a reference for them)
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

Engine management light is most commonly associated with O2 sensor failures which aren't a huge job.
But the codes need to be looked at by the dealer and sorted out.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm

I bought my car (9 months old), when I drove it home I noticed that air con wasn't cooling the are. Car went back next day and was sorted. A few weeks later amber engine warning light came on. I phoned up the dealer and booked it in for a week later. They said it would be safety drive until then. After a couple of days the light went out but reappeared after another couple of days later. Car was fixed but light came back on almost immediately. Car went back again, for the same thing to happen. It took a third visit to sort out the issues. Which were supposedly a sensor, then a split turbo seal.

The warning light is a common issue and it can be caused by a number of issues which seem to throw a wobbly with the sensors. It can be frustrating but hopefully it will be sorted which you should still have a warranty. I have had the car for 2 years since and all is OK.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

Tomb

Post by Tomb » Sat May 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks all

Car is back with the dealer now & waiting to hear the verdict.

I'm now driving a courtesy XF (which I also considered getting) & glad that I opted for the XE, much nicer drive IMHO.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Tomb wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Thanks all

Car is back with the dealer now & waiting to hear the verdict.

I'm now driving a courtesy XF (which I also considered getting) & glad that I opted for the XE, much nicer drive IMHO.
Same here. When I took my car in for it's service and a minor repair which would take 2 days. The service department cocked up and didn't have a courtesy car available. They gave me an XF off the forecourt for a couple of days. It was only 6 months old and with a very low mileage. It had the 250 petrol engine. I thought the engine was a lot noisier (probably because you had to drive it at higher revs than my 250 diesel. I also didn't like the general ride and handling as much as my XF.

As an aside and not really related to the model but probably software. Another annoyance was the mileage display. When I picked it up it showed 18 miles range. So I put £10 of petrol in it to make sure I got home. The mileage didn't change. As I did a few miles the next day and I didn't want to risk running out of petrol, I put another £20 in it. The mileage still didn't change. Then as I was driving the car back to the dealers it suddenly jumped up to about 50 miles.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 pm
As an aside and not really related to the model but probably software. Another annoyance was the mileage display. When I picked it up it showed 18 miles range. So I put £10 of petrol in it to make sure I got home. The mileage didn't change. As I did a few miles the next day and I didn't want to risk running out of petrol, I put another £20 in it. The mileage still didn't change. Then as I was driving the car back to the dealers it suddenly jumped up to about 50 miles.
Mine behaves in a similar way. When I put fuel in, the distance to empty does not update immediately, but takes a while. Not as long as your loan XF took though, more like about 20 minutes.
MY20: S P250 RWD in Portofino Blue and Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seats; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 am

Fuel update on my 2015 180D is as soon as the ignition is on and engine running. There are so many little quirks to the XE over 5 years of production. Mine is now behaving perfectly after a few earlier jobs. I too looked at several cars inc the XF which, although a nice car, just didn't quite feel right after the XE. Since the purchase of my XE I have had a few loan cars and some are very noisy compared with my R Sport diesel. To be honest I cannot say which models they were.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm

A few days ago the engine management amber light came on. The car is running perfectly with no indication of a problem other than the light being on. Today I took it in to my local garage and was surprised to be told that when they plugged in their computer, it is indicating poor quality DEF. I have had none of the usual dashboard messages about quality which I always thought was the only indication of a DEF problem. I didn't know it could just bring on the engine management light. They told me they have had a few XE's in with the same problem and a software update at the main dealer has cured them all. The fault code has been reset and the light is now off so I will wait and see if it re-occurs. If it does, I shall be contacting Jaguar and requesting that the software update is done at no cost as this is a well know ongoing problem with numerous cars.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm
A few days ago the engine management amber light came on. The car is running perfectly with no indication of a problem other than the light being on. Today I took it in to my local garage and was surprised to be told that when they plugged in their computer, it is indicating poor quality DEF. I have had none of the usual dashboard messages about quality which I always thought was the only indication of a DEF problem. I didn't know it could just bring on the engine management light. They told me they have had a few XE's in with the same problem and a software update at the main dealer has cured them all. The fault code has been reset and the light is now off so I will wait and see if it re-occurs. If it does, I shall be contacting Jaguar and requesting that the software update is done at no cost as this is a well know ongoing problem with numerous cars.
I smell bullcrap from a dealer desperate for some income....
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot