Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Wastegate84

Re: Reversing Noise / rumble / vibration

Post by Wastegate84 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:23 pm

JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 pm
Nick900 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm
Having watched some other topics on vibration and watched a YouTube video where another forum member had a similar thought I am now thinking engine mounts?

I am becoming very tired of the XE in 3 months of ownership its had:

New battery completely understandable

New starter motor at 21K

and now quite possibly engine mounts.

My weekend car is a Brera S seems more reliable!

Nick
Seems unlikely that the engine mounts would only be an issue when on an angle though? Also not sure how common the engine mount issue really is so should be fairly unlikely. From what I’ve seen online the engine mount noise and vibration isn’t subtle at all and would lead to the whole car shaking fairly violently.
Engine mount issue has been fairly common on early cars which this is. The slope could be causing the revs to drop slightly lower than normal. The whole car doesn't shake when the engine mounts go wrong but it normally causes the exhaust or heat shield to vibrate.

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 pm

It seems the engine mounts are not conventional, in that that are fed / regulated by a vacuum system. I noticed today putting the car in reverse holding it on the brake the rumble occurred albeit it softer than when actually moving. I know it sounds counter intuitive in that it would suggest the gearbox but in a threat about noise I watched a YouTube clip and it was exactly that engine mounting not able to maintain their vacuum.

Does anyone have a guide on how to replace them. My mobile mechanic is self isolating for a month. I have just purchased both sides and am hoping its quite easy. Would also benefit from having the torque settings too.

Thanks

Nick

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Nick you can get a copy of the workshop manual from this post.............
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6914&hilit=workshop+manual

The job seems a bit large tool orientated ie garage lift equipment

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Does look like a big-ish job. OP, do you have a recording of what yours sounds like, or did you get this diagnosed anywhere yet?
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Haven't had it diagnosed but listened to similar noises on YouTube recordings and other posts. Only occurs in reverse at the moment or on first start up when coming to a junction. You can just detect it moving from reverse to drive. Had it testing at a high street outlet. They confirmed noise is not driveline related nor steering or suspension.

I have looked at the repair manual guide and am thinking it might be possible to complete but just unbolting each mount at a time and jacking the engine slightly and removing rather than actually moving the mount location on the engine.

Nick