FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Pongo

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Pongo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Jagxesmn wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm
The noise on mine was quite mild, only noticeable when above 2000rpm with the radio off but annoying once I got sensitized to it and spoilt the fun of using a few more revs and flappy paddles - in D it didn't notice because the gear change points are at low rpm.
Thanks Steve. This sounds very familiar..... so much so that I try not to go above 2,000 revs (hence, partly, the reason for using Eco a lot). Very noticeable when lifting off throttle from, say, 5,000+ revs on the overrun. Find myself grabbing the right hand paddle to change up to kill the revs rather than letting the drop naturally. Interesting that it revs quickly (whips round to red line) but then loses revs more slowly. Maybe a heavy flywheel ?

Anyway, the weird noise completely spoils what is otherwise a superb car (creaking and clonking near side rear suspension aside).

I'm going to be gutted if the Halfords earth strap doesn't fix it. Jaguar technician thought it was entirely normal. In which case Jaguar test drivers must all be deaf !
2016 XE-S 340

Jagxesmn

Post by Jagxesmn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Undo the BOLT holding the reservoir

20181020_113145.jpg

Reservoir boly
Earth strap BOLT hidden under reservoir you can see the braided Halfords strap here too

20181020_113350.jpg

Hopefully this posts OK and gives an idea where to look.
Rgds
Steve

20181020_113029.jpg

Earth strap under here

XES, MY17, IRR, red interior, 20" alloys, black pack

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks Steve.

So I'm literally extending the length of the existing strap. Is the issue that the strap is too tight / taught then ?

I'll have to give if a try. Is there a particular Halfords strap I need (length / thickness etc) ?

Thanks again
2016 XE-S 340

Jagxesmn

Post by Jagxesmn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes extending the existing strap by a few inches. I don't know whether the issue is the length of the original or the stiffness of the original or both.
Can't remember which one I bought but was only £5 so probably this one

I assumed that it was isolating the stiff standard cable from the body with a more flexible braided so went for the shortest. Don't forget you'll need a nut, bolt and washers to join the two. I cable tied the resulting overlong assembly to a convenient place too.

I think the strut is aluminium so was careful not to overtighten the bolt and strip the threads.

Rgds
Steve

Screenshot_20181020-184323_Samsung Internet.jpg

XES, MY17, IRR, red interior, 20" alloys, black pack

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Bought the Halfords strap this morning and fitted it without too much fuss and hey presto it appears to have worked! I say "appears" on the basis it's pretty warm weather right now and that seemed to have some bearing on the noise value. The acid test will be first thing tomorrow morning but I'm feeling pretty confident problem solved albeit I will ask Harwood to apply the official fix.

Thanks to all on here for sharing their wisdom.

If I may can I also add (if it hasn't already been mentioned) that undoing the turret earth bolt is made considerably easier if the single bolt securing the expansion tank is removed and you can then pull it to one side to aid access. :D :D :D

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Took the car out this morning and lo and behold not even the merest hint of a ticking sound! To say I am pleased is an understatement. Cars into Harwoods sometime soon for rear bumper re-alignment and now of course the official strap fix and thereafter I should have the car pretty well ship shape in all respects.
Got to say this car has been in for more warranty work than any other I have ever owned but I'm still well pleased with it and the overall package.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi BRC

I have my fingers crossed for the same result when I try the Halfords strap in a few days time. I have a horrible feeling though that my noise is a different thing. If it does fix it then it will be like taking a stone out of my shoe !

What age and model is yours ? Is your VIN outside the range shown on the TSB pasted at the start of this thread (2016: 9000001 - 929283 & 2017: P000001 - P0000259) ?

Thanks
2016 XE-S 340

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello Pongo
Mines a November 2015 and amongst the noted VIN numbers. Got to admit I was a tad sceptical that the noise is/was caused by sound transmission through a cable but the Halfords strap confirmed the problem and at the same time provided the solution.
For the sake of a fiver and 15 minutes spannering the results are truly amazing. Hope you enjoy the same result and remember to remove the single bolt securing the expansion tank as that will make your task so much easier.

Brian

richmond

Post by richmond » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 pm

This useful information is exactly the reason why sensible people join forums like this one.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Sherlock Ohms

Post by Sherlock Ohms » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 pm

As I live quite a long way from a dealer, I decided to buy the replacement strap to fit myself.

However, everything is aluminium so I dread stripping out the bolts when tightening.

I can’t find the correct torque settings anywhere.

Does anyone know what they should be?

Thanks.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”