Sewing machine FIX FIX FIX

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
ant_in_wales

Re: Sewing machine FIX FIX FIX

Post by ant_in_wales » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Hmm - I'm embarrassed to admit failure, but I couldn't get the earth bolt off.
I removed the one from the overflow, but it gave me less play than I'd hoped - there's a surprising amount of wires attached to it.
I got a spanner to the earth bolt, but couldn't shift it.
I accept the lads in Solihull might be stronger than me ...
2015 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

AAAARRRGH! Ha ha ha!
I've done it, and it's completely amazing.
Those of you who've had this understand.

When I test drove the car, I noticed straight away, but I loved The Jag so much I just thought "That's diesels."

This has really worked, thank you for this superb post!

I found I could pop the overflow tank out, that gave me another inch, so I could get a bigger spanner in there, and suddenly I was in the game.

May I ask a few more questions, for the sake of all of us who are sortof handy, but afraid??

1. When I removed the top end of the original strap, it had a nice fixing that went onto the post. That nice fixing is now joined to the Halfords strap, while the post now just has the Halfords strap and the original bolt. Is that OK? Here;s how I've got it fixed:

Cable 1.jpg

2. Do you think I should wrap my join in electrical insulating tape?

3. Should I cable-tie the Halfords strap to something? I can see a fat pipe below (pic again)

Cable 2.jpg

However.
A huge thanks to AndrewNigel for the original post and continued support.
If anyone thinks "I love my The Jag, but I wish it didn't sound like a sewing machine" then this really is the best £6 you'll ever spend.
The dealer said this would be 0.5 to 0.75 hours work, plus the part, and although I'm sure they'd do the job a lot quicker and less stressful than yourself, I do feel a quiet (actually, quite loud) satisfaction out of kinda doing it myself.

Best wishes to you all.

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Great news and I'm glad you overcame the tightness of the bolt. It is a bit awkward to reach and hence moving the expansion tank suggestion. In regards the terminal connection on the Halford cable then no problem whatsoever, trust me it makes no odds.

As for taping the cable it really shouldn’t be necessary because after all it is an earth strap and I cannot recall anything nearby which might make a live connection.

If you do cable tie it to somewhere make sure there's some slack left and you don't create a secondary noise path. I simply gave my Jag strap a slight kink to make sure it couldn't contact and rub on other "soft" components. I check it now and then to ensure it's not fouling anything.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 pm

That sounds very sensible, BRC.
I went for a spin, and the cable hadn't moved.
As you say, a quick look whenever you open the bonnet sounds wise.
:D

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”