Sewing machine FIX FIX FIX

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
ant_in_wales

Re: Sewing machine FIX FIX FIX

Post by ant_in_wales » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Hmm - I'm embarrassed to admit failure, but I couldn't get the earth bolt off.
I removed the one from the overflow, but it gave me less play than I'd hoped - there's a surprising amount of wires attached to it.
I got a spanner to the earth bolt, but couldn't shift it.
I accept the lads in Solihull might be stronger than me ...
2015 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

AAAARRRGH! Ha ha ha!
I've done it, and it's completely amazing.
Those of you who've had this understand.

When I test drove the car, I noticed straight away, but I loved The Jag so much I just thought "That's diesels."

This has really worked, thank you for this superb post!

I found I could pop the overflow tank out, that gave me another inch, so I could get a bigger spanner in there, and suddenly I was in the game.

May I ask a few more questions, for the sake of all of us who are sortof handy, but afraid??

1. When I removed the top end of the original strap, it had a nice fixing that went onto the post. That nice fixing is now joined to the Halfords strap, while the post now just has the Halfords strap and the original bolt. Is that OK? Here;s how I've got it fixed:

Cable 1.jpg

2. Do you think I should wrap my join in electrical insulating tape?

3. Should I cable-tie the Halfords strap to something? I can see a fat pipe below (pic again)

Cable 2.jpg

However.
A huge thanks to AndrewNigel for the original post and continued support.
If anyone thinks "I love my The Jag, but I wish it didn't sound like a sewing machine" then this really is the best £6 you'll ever spend.
The dealer said this would be 0.5 to 0.75 hours work, plus the part, and although I'm sure they'd do the job a lot quicker and less stressful than yourself, I do feel a quiet (actually, quite loud) satisfaction out of kinda doing it myself.

Best wishes to you all.

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Great news and I'm glad you overcame the tightness of the bolt. It is a bit awkward to reach and hence moving the expansion tank suggestion. In regards the terminal connection on the Halford cable then no problem whatsoever, trust me it makes no odds.

As for taping the cable it really shouldn’t be necessary because after all it is an earth strap and I cannot recall anything nearby which might make a live connection.

If you do cable tie it to somewhere make sure there's some slack left and you don't create a secondary noise path. I simply gave my Jag strap a slight kink to make sure it couldn't contact and rub on other "soft" components. I check it now and then to ensure it's not fouling anything.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 pm

That sounds very sensible, BRC.
I went for a spin, and the cable hadn't moved.
As you say, a quick look whenever you open the bonnet sounds wise.
:D

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:22 am

andrewnigel wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:18 pm
Sewing machine noise fix. £4.99 for a braided 22cm short strap from Halfords. until you can get the recall done
Thanks to those who said this could be it !
Transforms the car. No wheezing darth Vader sewing machine in any revs any speed. I will keep the jag now. Really
Amazed by the difference. Jag has a fix out now.
My fix.
Under the rad overflow on the left bottom is a nut on the suspension tower. It’s fastened to a rubbery thick earth strap. This transmits power and vibration from the high pressure fuel pump on load.
Just undo the 10mm nut on the rad overflow bottle (one nut top right on wing side of bonnet) and lift up. Then remove the nut on the earth strap passenger inside suspension tower. Pop out the retainer plastic popper about 10cm along from the car. Replace strap to suspension area but with Halfords strap and link other end of new to old with a nut and washer. Tie wrap the old one to the nearest part of pipe to engine (not the body of car) finish with a slight loop in the new linked one to kill the vibration :D
I dont suppose there are any pics with this fix?
To understand something, you need to explain it to somebody else.

180PS portfolio with 4 wheels, a bonnet and a boot.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am

Steeveyboy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:22 am
I dont suppose there are any pics with this fix?
Yes, in this topic.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Storm grey Pics black pack and a few more bits.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am

Phil
Have a look over the right side of the engine.
You'll see the expansion tank that needs its retaining bolt removing so you can move get easier access to the upper end of the earth strap.
Just moving the tank an inch or two can make all the difference.
As my pictures show, it's not easy to take pictures in the confined space, you need to read all the posts on here, and then have a big look.
It took me a while to work it out, but it's REALLY worth the effort, and the few quid in Halfords.

Find your earth strap, and see if it's the taut, unbraided original one.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:24 pm

ant_in_wales wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am
Phil
Have a look over the right side of the engine.
I think it was Steeveyboy that was asking for pictures.
:D
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Storm grey Pics black pack and a few more bits.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 pm

ant_in_wales wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am
Find your earth strap, and see if it's the taut, unbraided original one.
I don't think it matters which strap you have. I fixed mine with the 'Halfords' fix, then had a new (different) strap fitted under warranty which had the same old problem. So i had to re-apply the Halfords fix. And have left it like that.

It is unbelievable the difference it makes. The tickety tappety noise completely spoiled the car. The relief when it stopped was fantastic.
2016 XE-S 340

rich_959

Post by rich_959 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Advice on this please folks. My 2016 XE S (2017 Model year) was in for some other work doing, and I asked them to check if this technical bulletin applied to my car, as I do get the whirring/rattling noise through the bulkead/vents. Sounds like the fan, with a slight rattle, even when you turn the AC and fan off completely.

Dealer have advised that the bulletin doesn't apply to my VIN, and that the noise is inherent to the car - they all sound like that. If I'm honest, once above 30/40mph, I can't really hear it (even with the radio off). It's more at tickover and low speeds. Should I just live with it? Or push the dealer? Or just do the DIY fix mentioned on this forum?
XE S. Loire Blue. Lots of toys, but even more noise :D

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”