Broken down within 24hrs of purchase

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Borat1987

Broken down within 24hrs of purchase

Post by Borat1987 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi,

I ended up purchasing a used XF (as I felt the Xe was a bit too small for me, but the XF forums aren’t anywhere as good as this). Anyway I picked up the 66 Plate, 2.0 diesel on Sunday afternoon the cars covered 24k miles. On the way home from work on Monday afternoon (24 hours after I got the car) the engine warning light has come on! Car seemed to drive fine but I contacted Jaguar assist, they were really good and sent an AA van to me within 20 mins. He was doing diagnosis with Jaguar on the phone for about an hours but in the end couldn’t find the fault with the car but said it needed to go to Jaguar and they would arrange for a courtesy car for me (which they did). Overall service was excellent and I really appreciated the hire car.

Jaguar are saying it could be the wrong quality of Adblue has been added by the garage (Independent non Jaguar). But they’ll investigate this week and if it’s a non warranty job I’ll have to pay.

Now what would you do? Under the consumer rights I think I could have a case to return the car. I don’t want to be stuck with a ‘pup’ that continues to have faults, the Jaguar warranty runs out this month and the additional warranty the dealer has provided I doubt would be anywhere near as good as Jaguar’s, and I wouldn’t get a courtesy car. I’ve asked Jaguar if they can tell me what faults the car has had to see if it’s been in numerous times for engine issues, but they’re saying they don’t have access to that information.

I’ve spoken to the garage via phone (and email so there is a written audit trail), and they’re aware of the issues and have been asked to be kept up to do

If Jaguar repair the car do I keep it and hope for the best. Or do I just try and shift it back to the garage as an engine fault within 24 hours isnt worth the risk of having an underlying issue with the car?

Thanks in advance

Dan

mrb

Re: Broken down within 24hrs of purchase

Post by mrb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm

I bought a Jaguar XJ in 2012 from an independent trader which had a jaguar extended warranty. It needed reverse sensors fixed. Took it to a Jag main dealer and they wouldn't honour the warranty as I had bought it from a non Jaguar dealer. If I had bought it privately it would have been ok. I did get the £300 it cost back from the dealer selling it eventually. The sale of goods act is very good in this respect!

Otherwise - how much do you want this particular car?
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Borat1987

Post by Borat1987 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:22 pm

I really like the car, but this has soured the mood and I don’t want the thought at the back of my head that it’s going to keep breaking down....it also bitter sweet that the courtesy car is a brand new top spec’d Range Rover Evoque with literally every option you could think of!

That said the Jaguar warranty has been great I don’t want to think of not having it either.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

No such thing as wrong quality adblue... it appears to be the standard dealer response these days to avoid the cost of replacing faulty sensors or software... see this post https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7723&hilit=Adblue&start=60
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

mrb

Post by mrb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Indianajons wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm
No such thing as wrong quality adblue... it appears to be the standard dealer response these days to avoid the cost of replacing faulty sensors or software... see this post https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7723&hilit=Adblue&start=60
I agree - my warning of wrong quality came up after Jag dealer had topped it up. They said it was probably overfull, drained it and reset sensors and it's fine now. However if that was the fault it would have said that in the dash and not just come on with an engine light I would have thought.
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 am

This Adblue incorrect crap is the now current fob off by some dealers. Adblue is Adblue https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/adblue
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

mrb wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm
I agree - my warning of wrong quality came up after Jag dealer had topped it up. They said it was probably overfull, drained it and reset sensors and it's fine now. However if that was the fault it would have said that in the dash and not just come on with an engine light I would have thought.
My thoughts too.
I thought the "incorrect AdBlue" had it's own specific warning that comes up.
The generic yellow engine management fault light is just that - generic.
It needs the fault codes read.
Most of the time it's to do with Nox sensors that can go t*ts up and that can be an intermittent warning but it should still log a code.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am

I had a bad quality Adblue message with a 500 miles countdown to when the car wouldn't restart. Fixed by a software upgrade courtesy of Jag assist.
The following day I had an EML amber light on, no other message - fixed by Jag Assist who 'primed' the DEF system by running some sort of utility process, they said the DEF feed pipe had an air lock.
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:39 am

I really wonder if some cars are never properly serviced and the Adblue is not topped up until it becomes ready for a new owner. The seller then actually tops it up and introduces an airlock and the warnings start. I keep mine topped up and so far in 4 years have not had any Adblue warnings.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm

I do wish that Jaguar dealers would stop using the feeble excuse of wrong type Adblue - this is very annoying.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”