FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
mistral_blue

FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by mistral_blue » Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 pm

So having left my car in at Harwoods Basingstoke to have a couple of warranty issues sorted, I was intrigued to find that despite me not really expecting a fix, the technician had agreed that mine was noisy and applied a TSB which he reckoned would cure it, even though it was outside the expected VIN range. They claim that has fixed it and from what I can tell thus far, it has... :D

The culprit? As mentioned as one of the theories in the sewing machine thread, an earthing strap (causing noise transfer from the high pressure fuel pump)!... I took some pics of the TSB which was included in my document pack (click the images to view the bigger versions on my Google Drive) which will hopefully allow those of you suffering a similar affliction to point your dealership in that direction, even if your VIN is outside the TSB range... Clearly it could be something else, but it's a cheap initial fix for them to try! NB the XE is an X760 (260 is XF, 761 FPace).

Note also that there are several variants of the XE affected, not just the XE S...

Last edited by mistral_blue on Sun May 07, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Geoff 11

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Geoff 11 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info, i am sure it will help with members and there ticking noise, luckily mine is OK so far at 7600m
Glad that you have yours back , i bet its quicker than the XJ , just love the XEs in paddle mode off the lights , seems more ferocious than
in Ds as you pull away in first rather than second-enjoy :D
XES Italian racing red , oyster & Jet seats, park assist & camera , folding mirrors, heated steering wheel sun blind, panoramic roof, keyless entry, road sign recognition, 14 way seats, heated screen, lane assist, privacy glass

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm

I've not tried it with the paddles in 1st. If you're in S I would have thought it would use 1st from rest too...? I know my old XKR uses 2nd in D so it's not a new thing...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

comet

Post by comet » Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 pm

It's a shame it took Jaguar nearly 2 years to admit that the S had this problem. I complained a number of times about this and was continually fed the usual "it's normal" line.

I got rid of my S a couple of months ago and this was one of the reasons for me doing so. I was disappointed with Jaguar's customer service as I'd initially hoped it would be a cut above other manufacturers.

A real shame as otherwise it was a great car. I'd struggle to justify buying another Jag.
XE S Italian Racing Red | Jet/red 14x14 seats | Adaptive Cruise | Panoramic Glass pack| Parking pack with surround | Heated screen | InControl Secure | Space saver spare | Delivered Nov 15 |

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am

mistral_blue wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm
I've not tried it with the paddles in 1st. If you're in S I would have thought it would use 1st from rest too...? I know my old XKR uses 2nd in D so it's not a new thing...
I did on my previous in 1st and it had several "shunts" from the rear wheels before the traction control kicked in and it launched.
Not sure it was any faster overall than doing the standard take off in 2nd.
Good news is though the new one squirms slightly on take off in 2nd but launches far better than the previous one.

comet wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 pm
It's a shame it took Jaguar nearly 2 years to admit that the S had this problem. I complained a number of times about this and was continually fed the usual "it's normal" line.
I got rid of my S a couple of months ago and this was one of the reasons for me doing so. I was disappointed with Jaguar's customer service as I'd initially hoped it would be a cut above other manufacturers.
A real shame as otherwise it was a great car. I'd struggle to justify buying another Jag.
The thing is though that they didn't all have that problem!
It's clear from the OP's post that the ticking in the cabin may well have been down to the earth strap which has been on a general recall for breaking in other XE's.

If you look at the other threads it also mentions the noises outside the car particularly when cold.
My previous had this issue when cold but it soon went when it was warm.
It may well be the dealer was referring to this as being normal.

The good news is that Jaguar must be looking at noise or the NVH thing as there is now quite a lot of thin foam sound deadening lining the engine bay on my My 18 and definitely no ticking inside or outside on startup.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR » Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 pm

comet wrote:

It is a shame but I had the same experience with a new VW. It took 2 years and a technical bulletin from VW in the USA to come up with a cure. The UK were useless.

I have my car booked in to have this carried out along with numerous other faults. I'd like to stress to others with a similiar noise that the technical bulletin applies to all XEs and not just the S.

This will be Jaguars last chance at keeping me as a customer if this does not give me the results I'm hoping for.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 pm

BAIKAR wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 pm
I'd like to stress to others with a similiar noise that the technical bulletin applies to all XEs and not just the S.
Good point, I've edited my original post to highlight this in bold! :!:

BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I had the fix applied to my car today and I'm pleased to say the annoying ticking/fan noise has gone. I highly recommend to anyone with this to have it done. Don't listen to your dealer if they test drive your car and tell you that they all sound like that sir.

angra123

Post by angra123 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:57 am

mistral_blue,

Thank you so much for this!!!

Took the car over to my local dealership, handing over a print out of the bulletin to their service department where I have been complaining about this since I had the car. The same people that thought I was essentially complaining for no reason now were completely embarrassed when I handed over an official JRL warranty repair bulletin. Something they should have bloody surfaced themselves!

The issue is now completely gone, even when putting it in S first thing in a cold morning - Can't hear it any more at all!

I must say it was an even bigger pleasure to see them embarrassed when handing over the printout than the actual fix.......................! :D
XE S Ultimate Black.
Black Pack, 20" 10 Spoke Propeller Alloys, Heads Up Display, InControl Touch Pro, 4-Way Electric lumbar adjust, Space Saver Spare wheel.

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:20 pm

comet wrote:
....I was disappointed with Jaguar's customer service as I'd initially hoped it would be a cut above other manufacturers......A real shame as otherwise it was a great car. I'd struggle to justify buying another Jag.
I do feel in Jaguars defence - or any other manufacturer for that matter - that poor customer service or follow up is quite often to do only with the particular franchise or dealership you are dealing with.

I have found Jaguars service levels generally to be a cut above the rest, but within the 5 dealerships that have dealt with over the last 10 years I have had the best experiences of my car driving life with 2 of them but also the worst on record with another - that one involved attempting to sell me a heavily crash damaged and repaired vehicle after I had asked about the cars damage history and being told it was clean. An AA inspection before I handed over any money found the tell tales that I couldn't see myself. That is the kind of thing I expect to get from an alleyway car dealer. But that's not Jaguars fault as a manufacturer and it hasn't kept me away from the brand at all.

Perhaps your experience comet goes beyond your relationship with the dealer you got the car from, but I would hope that a lack of attention from one business wouldn't cloud your view of the brand overall. There are plenty of good places out there!!

Every brand suffers from the same problems in this respect.... Jaguar is not immune....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”