FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
DeBruce

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by DeBruce » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Pongo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:00 pm
Right. I have today re-fitted the Halfords strap fix and, thank god, it has worked for a second time. Whaf a relief (again). Not quite so elegant a fix though this time due to the different position and stiffer nature of the new Jaguar strap (it seems to be both longer and stiffer - ooh errr missus).

Anyway, while I had it apart i could get some better pics of the label on the new strap (see below). Now in a quandry as to whether to leave it, and let sleeping dogs lie, or take it up with Jaguar. That will tend to depend on whether mine and Steve's straps should be the same, aren't, and Steve's is the correct one meaning mine is the wrong one (if that makes sense).

I can see immediately that Steve's code starts HX73 and mine GX73....

20181125_105730.jpg

20181125_110109.jpg
Sorry for the late reply here Pongo but the replacement earth strap should be braided construction - you can see other images of the fix on here showing what that looks like (I.e. not pvc coated cable). Looking at your pics it seems your dealer has replaced your old earth cable with the same new but "old" type. Hence the reappearance of the noise. The silver you can see is heat reflective covering. Check under that and see if the cable is uncovered braid or PVC cable.

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:42 pm

All this is after I have read the entire thread more confusing than concluding.

Could someone post pictures and part#s of the wrong/old and new earth strap?
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 am

There are pics on here somewhere and the strap is located on the passenger side of the lower part of the engine. I will try and find the pics for you.
EDIT............... The info with pics is the first post on this thread ie page 1 post 1

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:44 am

Xephil, unless you have an annoying fast tappety type noise at higher revs and particularly (in my case) on the overrun, I wouldn't worry about it.

Whichever variant you have, the earth strap is a thick wire, probably rubber but possibly foil covered, running from under the engine up the engine bay wall and is bolted to the body in an easily accessible place. All you do is unbolt that, attach a short new strap, and attach that to the original body bolt. Essentially, just extending the length of the strap. If the strap is your problem, you will know immediately as it will be cured.

I had my strap changed by Jaguar and it was as bad as before. So I re-fitted the temp strap extension and it is still like that.

DeBruce, yes, I'll check mine again. I'm sure they fitted the wrong replacement strap - but decided to just leave the temp strap in place in the end as Jaguar simply don't get it (otherwise, they'd have realised it still wasn't right after fitting the new strap !)
2016 XE-S 340

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 am

Sometimes problems arise in the parts dept where the parts man looks up the vin number and gets the part number and that is the part that is causing the problem. The modified part number is not noticed or updated. This issue was apparent with my recent battery change where it only showed the 80Ah battery for my XE and didn't reference the 90Ah battery for my car at all, yet there are XE models with the 90Ah battery.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm

malawbrook wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:00 pm
The noise has gone! Thank you so much, Mistral Blue, for the initial posting of the Jaguar bulletin. I bought my XE 18 months ago, and at the time I pointed out the irritating machine noise which was only present in the cold weather and when the throttle was depressed. I got the "They all sound like that" reply, and was taken in, but it was only when I had a loan car (exactly the same model) that I realised that they didn't. The dealership from whom I bought the car was not interested in finding the cause, so I took it to another dealership. They were very helpful, but unfortunately, after talking to Jaguar, decided that the problem was the timing chains. They had the car for a week and changed the timing chains and tensioners, and said that the noise was better, but it wasn't. I left it over the summer, because the noise was very much less in that hot weather, but last week, when the car was going in for an MOT, I decided to have one last go at getting the noise fixed. I emailed a copy of the photo of the Technical Bulletin, and lo and behold they changed the earth strap and the noise has completely disappeared, even in cold conditions! I am therefore very grateful to everyone that has contributed to the forum on this topic, but what a shame that the 2 dealerships didn't know about the bulletin.
Wow @ Jaguar! Glad you got sorted, it's soooo much better when it sounds as it should...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Deleted User 5127

Post by Deleted User 5127 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 am

I think I have this noise, it almost sounds like there is a hole in the bulkhead allowing the engine noise in. Going to try the Halfords fix and see what happens...

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:05 am

It affected the early V6

Deleted User 5127

Post by Deleted User 5127 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:05 am
It affected the early V6
It most certainly did... And I use the word did to mean not on my v6 it doesn't anymore!
Amazing how something so basic, ie it's just a wire, can make such a huge difference to a car. After doing to mod I haven't had the stereo on!!

Big thanks to mistral blue for the fix.
This forum may replace my usual haunt :lol:

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 am

I hope you are not on that RAC forum :lol: :lol: