FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Deleted User 5127

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Deleted User 5127 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:08 am

Vespa wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 am
I hope you are not on that RAC forum :lol: :lol:
I didn't know the RAC had a forum.... Its another Jag forum, it's a great place but with great members and mountains of very useful (and not so useful) info. However given the XF is Jaguars best selling model it's mainly XF orientated although all modern Jaguars are represented, whereas here the focus is the XE.

Eman

Post by Eman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Pretty sure I also have this issue, do we know the definite part no for replacement lead ?

Deleted User 5127

Post by Deleted User 5127 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Depends on whether the car is still within Jag warranty. If so then get it done ilunder the TSB, if not spend £6 and make the repair yourself, it's surprisingly simple to do, space is limited but easy enough.
When I did mine, the difference was night and day.

Wickster

Post by Wickster » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi chaps had my xe,s a few months and heard this sound thought it might of been an injector on its way out until i read this post,bought the lead from halfords quick 10min job its like a different motor now nice and quite even through the air vents on cost £6

Eman

Post by Eman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Finally made time & fitted earth lead what a difference well worth doing now starting to believe I’m driving a Jag

KJW

Post by KJW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Yep, did mine too this weekend. It's lovely without the "Chrysler Alpine" soundtrack. :lol:

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:17 pm

I’ve just done this fix and wow. I can’t believe the difference, I’ve only had the car about 4 weeks and I sort of hadn’t really noticed the noise until I saw this post and then I couldn’t in-hear it but now, it’s like a new car!! Amazed!
2016 XE-S in Ultimate Black with 20" Propeller Alloys

Groningen

Post by Groningen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 am

I also did mine this weekend. It’s worth doing it. It takes away a lot of the “tractor” sound of the diesel. Still a diesel, but more refined.
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport 163 diesel. Ultimate black.

MartE

Post by MartE » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks to those who discovered this fix and posted the "how to" pictures of the Halfords' fix. Couldn't get to a Halfords over the Christmas holidays so ordered a 6" braided earth strap off Ebay to be delivered. Fitted today and completely removes the annoying sewing machine hiding in the engine bay.
Looking forward to only listening to the engine from now on.
New to me MY17 20t R-Sport Polaris/Fuji White, Black gloss wheels, privacy glass and black bits.

Colt

Post by Colt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi all. My jag is a 2019 2.0 petrol. I get a tappy noise on start up. Could this be the earth strap need replacing ? I’ve just looked and I have what looks like a metal strap earth lead.
Thanks
2019 XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlining, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.