FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Deleted User 732

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 pm

JLR had a modified longer lead available so it may be standard on yours now. I have spent a couple of hours today trying to find the part numbers of old and new which I located 3 days back in my XE volumes but at present can't find it. I will have to sort out all my files as they have gradually been built up over 5 years or so and become totally disjointed.

Colt
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: Midlands

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Colt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 pm
JLR had a modified longer lead available so it may be standard on yours now. I have spent a couple of hours today trying to find the part numbers of old and new which I located 3 days back in my XE volumes but at present can't find it. I will have to sort out all my files as they have gradually been built up over 5 years or so and become totally disjointed.
Ok thanks Vespa 👍
2019 XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlining, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.

JAGDH
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by JAGDH » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this, but I have a 2015 Jag XE 2.0d which has the original earth cable (has a test date of 2015 a few months before the car was registered and is the plastic sheathed kind).

The sound I’m experiencing could be described as a sewing machine or a rattle/vibration/resonance that sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the dashboard/vent or from the central vents maybe. It all sounded like I’d found the cause of the issue - This can only be heard inside the car also. I’ve tried getting a passenger to hold every single piece of plastic and it’s driving me a bit nuts if I don’t have the radio on to drown it out.

I tried doing the Halfords fix and sadly it hasn’t removed the sound, not sure if I did something wrong, maybe I bent the Halfords cable a bit too much or there’s a problem with the nut bolt and washers I used to connect to the old lead.

Anyway I am real disappointed and thinking of getting a quote from the local Jag dealership to have the official fix applied, the cars VIN falls within the range and I’ll be paying out my own pocket so expect there won’t be an issue. I’m hoping that maybe I’ve just done something wrong, I’ve ordered another Halfords earth lead in case I did indeed twist it about too much.

To be sure can anybody who’s experienced this please listen to the below clip and see if it’s even remotely like the sewing machine sound? If it’s not I may start taking the dash apart this weekend to hunt around, otherewise plan is to re-try the halfords fix with a new cable/bolts, and then go in for the official fix.

Here’s the clip, what do you think? The clip makes it sound worse than it is tbf, but you can hear when it gets to around 1800rpm and then is held at 2k rpm that the sound is clear:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiLDYdBp-N27gP7VMF3 ... s?e=8zJDJQ
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

fireblader929
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by fireblader929 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49 am

Hi JAGDH,

I listened to your recording. That doesn't sound like the sewing machine noise I was getting. The noise I would hear was a slower ticking noise (from the high pressure fuel pump) at the speeds you would hear from a sewing machine. The noise from your car is at quite a higher frequency.

I don't know if it's because yours is a diesel and there's a difference in sound compared to the V6 petrol engine but it's definitely a different sound. Also, the sound you're hearing sounds quite a bit louder than the "sewing machine" ticking.

Good luck tracking it down...

-Steve
2017 XE 3.5T AWD R-Sport, Ammonite Grey, 19" Venoms, Adaptive Dynamics - Packages: Comfort & Convenience, Driver Assistance, Technology

Deleted User 732

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:44 am

Do you have a panoramic roof? If so gently press all around the inside black plastic trim as it was known that some were not pushed home fully. Mine was one and that fixed a rattle that seemed to be "somewhere" on the passenger side but wasn't.

User avatar
BRC
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Pot hole county, aka Surrey

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by BRC » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:57 am

Hi JAGDH
Personally I would think that could well be the noise so often complained about at least on diesel models. What I cannot understand is your reference to the Halfords strap and whether you have mounted it correctly. The strap doesn't need twisting other than a gentle 90 degree bend to the earth point near the expansion tank. At the same time do make sure the original strap to which you attach the Halfords is oriented as far as possible to a point where there is little to no risk it will come into contact with any other part of the car. This will negate the chance of the primary cause finding a secondary noise pathway. If it’s mounted correctly the straps should be free to move but not so much they could indirectly come into contact with the car bodywork or components.
Last edited by BRC on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Deleted User 732

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:01 am

I thought it was just the V6 that had this issue?

JAGDH
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by JAGDH » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:09 am

BRC wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:57 am
Hi JAGDH
Personally I would think that could well be the noise so often complained about at least on diesel models. What I cannot understand is your reference to the Halfords strap and whether you have mounted it correctly. The strap doesn't need twisting other than a gentle 90 degree bend to the earth point near the expansion tank.
It’s likely I’ve done it correctly, but perhaps it just wasn’t the cause of the problem I’m experiencing - At least the Halfords fix gives the lead a bit more length as I’ve seen the odd post where people have had the earth lead snap completely due to how tight it is.

Vespa wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:01 am
I thought it was just the V6 that had this issue?
I’ve seen a few threads on different forums where people have debated this and many with Diesel engine owners claiming they’ve definitely had the issue. Sounds like my rattle/noise might be something else. It looks like my VIN is in the range of the tech bulletin (not sure if they mention specific engines on that or not).

Vespa wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:44 am
Do you have a panoramic roof? If so gently press all around the inside black plastic trim as it was known that some were not pushed home fully. Mine was one and that fixed a rattle that seemed to be "somewhere" on the passenger side but wasn't.
I had a look at that now, pushed it all in and held whilst driving, doesn’t seem to make a difference sadly so can’t be that. It sounds like it’s coming from the dashboard somewhere but it could be behind the glovebox, could be right at the back centre near the window, really hard to tell and not obvious where, but very obvious it’s there.

I had a look under the centre speaker grille (no speaker in mine with the standard sound system), but couldn’t see anything loose or moving from there. It looks like there is a panel in the Centre right by the window behind the reva hoop that might come off easily so could be somewhere to try investigating if I can get my head in to see.

I’m getting close to either taking apart the dash (like I say, would prefer not to start taking the interior apart) or just trading in / selling the car for something else but that would be a shame as i love the car otherwise
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

User avatar
Repairman
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by Repairman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:16 pm

JAGDH wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:13 pm
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this, but I have a 2015 Jag XE 2.0d which has the original earth cable (has a test date of 2015 a few months before the car was registered and is the plastic sheathed kind).

The sound I’m experiencing could be described as a sewing machine or a rattle/vibration/resonance that sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the dashboard/vent or from the central vents maybe. It all sounded like I’d found the cause of the issue - This can only be heard inside the car also. I’ve tried getting a passenger to hold every single piece of plastic and it’s driving me a bit nuts if I don’t have the radio on to drown it out.

I tried doing the Halfords fix and sadly it hasn’t removed the sound, not sure if I did something wrong, maybe I bent the Halfords cable a bit too much or there’s a problem with the nut bolt and washers I used to connect to the old lead.

Anyway I am real disappointed and thinking of getting a quote from the local Jag dealership to have the official fix applied, the cars VIN falls within the range and I’ll be paying out my own pocket so expect there won’t be an issue. I’m hoping that maybe I’ve just done something wrong, I’ve ordered another Halfords earth lead in case I did indeed twist it about too much.

To be sure can anybody who’s experienced this please listen to the below clip and see if it’s even remotely like the sewing machine sound? If it’s not I may start taking the dash apart this weekend to hunt around, otherewise plan is to re-try the halfords fix with a new cable/bolts, and then go in for the official fix.

Here’s the clip, what do you think? The clip makes it sound worse than it is tbf, but you can hear when it gets to around 1800rpm and then is held at 2k rpm that the sound is clear:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiLDYdBp-N27gP7VMF3 ... s?e=8zJDJQ
I had sewing machine noise on my XE and have a very quiet version on my XF, and sound in clip does not sound like same sound, yours sounds inline with engine revs whereas sewing machine noise stayed at more fixed rate, independant of revs,

Regards Repairman
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

JAGDH
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by JAGDH » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Looking like a different, not so easily solved issue then. I’ll probably go as far as getting the glove box out and see if it stops or makes it more obvious what’s causing it but if I can’t solve it might have to sell after a very short ownership, problem with that is there’s no other cars I really want :lol: except maybe a Panamera Diesel (yes I really like how they look). it was the alternative car I was considering but opted for a newer Jag XE which cost a bit less also.

Could try another XE or an XF maybe.....Preferred option is find the source of the noise and resolve it so I’ve opened another thread on the interiors section since this doesn’t appear to be the sewing machine - I am assuming now it’s something in the interior and not an engine related issue as can’t hear anything like this when outside the car.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Post Reply