FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP

Re: FIX: XE sewing machine rattle in passenger cabin (TSB)

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:44 pm

JAGDH wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 pm
Looking like a different, not so easily solved issue then. I’ll probably go as far as getting the glove box out and see if it stops or makes it more obvious what’s causing it
If you decide to remove the glovebox, you may find this useful: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6572&p=88075&hilit ... ter#p88075.
When you get it out, it will enable you to have a good look underneath the dash and over towards to centre and see if you can see anything that might be causing the problem.

Nothing worse than a rattle you can't find. Good luck with it.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:44 pm
JAGDH wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 pm
Looking like a different, not so easily solved issue then. I’ll probably go as far as getting the glove box out and see if it stops or makes it more obvious what’s causing it
If you decide to remove the glovebox, you may find this useful: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6572&p=88075&hilit ... ter#p88075.
When you get it out, it will enable you to have a good look underneath the dash and over towards to centre and see if you can see anything that might be causing the problem.

Nothing worse than a rattle you can't find. Good luck with it.
Thank you for that, as I have kind of determined this probably isn’t the sewing machine I’ve started a separate thread earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8981

And I might have actually solved the issue Without removing the glovebox based on my most recent attempt and quick test drive. I put details in the thread but I randomly found a post (which I’ve never came across until I started specifically googling fuse box rattles) that talked about cable tidying a wire under the bonnet....If anybody has a chance to nip over to the threat I linked above I am keen to find out where the wire actually goes, and if it related in any way to the fuse box in the passenger footwell
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

TheStick

Post by TheStick » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Hello there!

Sorry for digging out this old thread but i think this might could be the solution im looking for.

My 2.0 Diesel does (only when its cold outside) a weird tapping/clatter like noise in idle. It starts a few seconds after firing up the engine and goes away after 2-3mins. Its really weird that in only happens when its cold outside but it drives me crazy. When i start driving the car while the noise is still "active" i can hear an almost "gurgling" sound which goes with the rpm. I will drive to a local car part dealer and buy a earth strap and give it a try. I really hope it solves the problem!

At first i thought it was the timing chain so I drove to my local JLR dealer today and hat the pleasure to talk to a really good mechanic. He then told me that he hadn't had to change a timing chain since he works for JLR and he can't imagine that's the problem because if it was the timing chain, the noise would still be there when the engine is warmed up. He also said that the noise would even be worse when it's warmed up because metal is expanding when getting hot. For me personally, that made total sense. What do u think?

I will give a feedback tomorrow evening how it all worked out and will also make a video for comparing the noises before and after.

Thanks to all the great members of this forum who make all this possible!
Jaguar XE 2.0 Diesel R-Sport from 2015/16

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:30 am

You now have three threads on the same issue.
I see you have spoken to a mechanic and they have said it's ok.
On your other topic other members have said that the noise when cold on a diesel engine is quite normal until they warm up.
My previous V6 petrols were both were slightly "tappety" until warmed up.
It's quite normal with petrol and diesel engines in colder climates until they warm up.
This topic was about a noise from the fuel pump which in some cases was transmitted through the earth strap.
It was there all the time and didn't go once the car was warmed up.
I don't think you need to worry about this issue.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

mrb

Post by mrb » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:45 pm

I think I might have the sewing machine noise under hard acceleration. As I am out of warranty will Jaguar still fix it FOC?
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 pm

mrb wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:45 pm
I think I might have the sewing machine noise under hard acceleration. As I am out of warranty will Jaguar still fix it FOC?
In a word no.
Plus this particular issue is for a noise that is there all the time not just when accelerating.
That could be many different things so don't rely on this "old" issue which affected early cars .
The earth straps were changed for a different version on later cars.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

mrb

Post by mrb » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:01 pm

OK thanks. Mine is only there on hard acceleration and tbh normally my music is on so drowns it out!
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:56 pm

So it appears my XE is making a ticking noise......

Mine is a 15 plate XE-S.

Characteristics - worse on cold start, its a ticking noise from the engine bay and honestly, it does sound like a sewing machine. Tends to die down after the engine is fully warm but its definitely there still, its very faint but enough to be able to annoy me. Would also say I can hear it going down slopes when engine braking and it definitely relates to the engine speed.

The VIN ends in 905753 so corresponds with the TSB

I've taken a look at the earth cable and it does say tested in 2015 so must be the original part
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

TheStick

Post by TheStick » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:14 pm

PhilB wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:30 am
You now have three threads on the same issue.
I see you have spoken to a mechanic and they have said it's ok.
On your other topic other members have said that the noise when cold on a diesel engine is quite normal until they warm up.
My previous V6 petrols were both were slightly "tappety" until warmed up.
It's quite normal with petrol and diesel engines in colder climates until they warm up.
This topic was about a noise from the fuel pump which in some cases was transmitted through the earth strap.
It was there all the time and didn't go once the car was warmed up.
I don't think you need to worry about this issue.
Hey PhilB! Sorry for the double posting, that wasnt my intention. Thank you for putting the threads together!

And u were totally right. I tried this fix but it didnt changed anything at all. My strap was from 2015 but it seems to be ok. So i take to extension-strap out again.
Jaguar XE 2.0 Diesel R-Sport from 2015/16

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:15 pm

So, from my previous post - today I have completed the "Halfords DIY"

Bloody hell - who would have thought a 9cm £4.99 part would solve this racket! Im shocked, honestly!

The engine was mildly warm, but I noticed straight away, no unusual ticking noise and she's purring away, however, Ill confirm in the morning.

Having said that, wasn't a 5 minute fix for me, actually took me a whole hour as I just didnt have enough space to get my hands in so had to remove all the clips for the wires running around the coolant tub. Then had to try and move it so i could actually fit a spanner in. Then had an issue with removing the nut because it was way too tight but managed in the end using a hammer on the spanner.

But, got it done in the end, and im very happy...... hopefully...... until tomorrow morning :lol:
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......