Sick of this vibration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Repairman

Re: Sick of this vibration

Post by Repairman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Topix SSM72758 references
Issue: Excessive vibration of vehicle and exhaust system when stationary at idle
Cause: Engine mount not switching into idle condition references faulty hoses to engine mounts
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

babysquip

Post by babysquip » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Repairman wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:54 pm
Topix SSM72758 references
Issue: Excessive vibration of vehicle and exhaust system when stationary at idle
Cause: Engine mount not switching into idle condition references faulty hoses to engine mounts
Thanks I have had a look but cant find the topix ? as that sounds spot on

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:09 pm

here you go
SSM72758 - Vehicle __ Exhaust vibration when stationary at idle _ TOPIx.pdf
(71.63 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Babysquip, I can’t believe your dealer can’t agree it’s happening - it nearly shook my teeth out listening to it!!! Some dealerships just plain let the whole brand down I think.

It does sound like an engine mount or other significant structure issue. Bring repairmans doc to them and tell them to try it. Otherwise if you get nowhere I think even sending your video to Jaguar CRC by email would be a start.

That noise would drive me bonkers too I must say.

Fingers crossed it’s a quick fix.
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

sg1

Post by sg1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 pm

I too had this issue, and my dealer knew what it was before I had even finished describing the symptoms. It's most likely related to the switchable engine mounts, which change their characteristics when idling, so that engine vibrations are not transferred to the chassis.

Those mounts are driven by the engine's vacuum system, to which they are connected through some hoses. When those become leaky (some animals like to chew on them), the engine mounts cannot adjust properly. As a consequence, excessive exhaust vibrations occur sometimes, which we can hear in the video. I also noticed a general increase of idle vibrations when sitting in the car.

Your dealer should probably check the vacuum hoses first, and then anything else related to engine mounts/vacuum system.
XE 20d 180 MY17

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am

For the sake of a day off work, get in touch with Rybrook Jaguar Warrington and speak to Tony on service reception. Explain to him what is happening and the reference to the engine mounts and see if they can sort it for you. I am sure that they will with a loan car part of the job. All my jobs have been done 100%

stephendutton63

Post by stephendutton63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Vespa wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am
For the sake of a day off work, get in touch with Rybrook Jaguar Warrington and speak to Tony on service reception. Explain to him what is happening and the reference to the engine mounts and see if they can sort it for you. I am sure that they will with a loan car part of the job. All my jobs have been done 100%
Vespa did you get your vehicle from Warrington. Reason I ask is they are closer to me and I’ve lost DAB are they ok doing warranty work on cars they haven’t supplied. Thanks in advance. Steve

babysquip

Post by babysquip » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Repairman wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:09 pm
here you go
You are a star :D

babysquip

Post by babysquip » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Vespa wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am
HI Vespa only reason it went back was a free service agreed when I purchased the car, Spoke to Rybrook and they actually agreed get the free service then come back to them. :D

babysquip

Post by babysquip » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm

CaptainNoddy wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 pm
Babysquip, I can’t believe your dealer can’t agree it’s happening - it nearly shook my teeth out listening to it!!! Some dealerships just plain let the whole brand down I think.

It does sound like an engine mount or other significant structure issue. Bring repairmans doc to them and tell them to try it. Otherwise if you get nowhere I think even sending your video to Jaguar CRC by email would be a start.

That noise would drive me bonkers too I must say.

Fingers crossed it’s a quick fix.
I have posted the video on Jagaurs facebook page and no reply or comment And to Jaguar CRC still no reply