XE Aircon Condenser broken with stone chip

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
jcmorgan

XE Aircon Condenser broken with stone chip

Post by jcmorgan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 am

Hi -

I have a Jaguar XE just 10,000 miles in the AirCon stopped working so I took it to the garage and they said there is a stone chip in the air con unit - cost to replace £700 and not covered under warranty because the damage was due to "wear and tear".

I've refused to pay and so a "customer liason" person offered me a 25% discount. I still find this unacceptable. Surely such an expensive unit should be protected with a mesh? Can it really be called wear and tear -- seems to cover any fault if it is just a result of "using the car" ? Can anyone help me or how to escalate this case?

It's winter - hoping to sort this by the summer!

Thanks!

PhilB

Re: XE Aircon Condenser broken with stone chip

Post by PhilB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:03 pm

I think you have been very unlucky.
I can't recall anybody else taking a stone into it as the front grilles are normally pretty good but as it needs air there have to be holes.
You can try sending a PM to the Jaguar customer care rep on here "CRC@Jaguar" who might be able to help.
They will need the Vin of your car and details of the dealership who had a look at it.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Storm grey Pics black pack and a few more bits.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:36 pm

I doubt if you'll get very far with Jaguar. It's a bit like having a cracked windscreen, or a paint chip on the bonnet.
Not a warranty or design issue. Just bad luck.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Hold on a minute!!!
Just had a search and it seems there could be more to this than meets the eye.
It has now prompted my failing memory and this was quite an issue.
It seems another member had the "Hole in it" excuse when some had issues with condensers failing.
Have a read through this one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4708

Putting "condenser" in the search box throws up a few threads about faulty ones being replaced under warranty.

jcmorgan

Post by jcmorgan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I get the argument that it is "bad luck" but where is the border between "bad luck" and a design fault? I.e., if this is a common occurence with the car.

I have read the other threads and there does seem to be a lot of broken A/C condensers around (albeit that it is difficult to quantify "a lot" without stats from the manufacturer). If I have "bad luck" again - am I going to be paying £700 every 10k miles?

If Jaguar can show me this is an unusual issue then I would agree with the bad luck hypothesis. :?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 am

jcmorgan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 pm
I get the argument that it is "bad luck" but where is the border between "bad luck" and a design fault? I.e., if this is a common occurence with the car.

I have read the other threads and there does seem to be a lot of broken A/C condensers around (albeit that it is difficult to quantify "a lot" without stats from the manufacturer). If I have "bad luck" again - am I going to be paying £700 every 10k miles?

If Jaguar can show me this is an unusual issue then I would agree with the bad luck hypothesis. :?
I think things might be getting a bit confused here.
IF you actually have a hole due to stone damage then that is bad luck.
We haven't heard of anybody else genuinely damaging the condenser from a stone or road debris.
But as you now know another member had the same excuse which wasn't true.
It's obvious from the other thread that others have had condensers replaced under warranty due to defects and you can use that evidence to push for a warranty replacement on yours unless they can prove yours definitely has damage caused by external means.

MTwomey

Post by MTwomey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 pm

jcmorgan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 am
Hi -

I have a Jaguar XE just 10,000 miles in the AirCon stopped working so I took it to the garage and they said there is a stone chip in the air con unit - cost to replace £700 and not covered under warranty because the damage was due to "wear and tear".

I've refused to pay and so a "customer liason" person offered me a 25% discount. I still find this unacceptable. Surely such an expensive unit should be protected with a mesh? Can it really be called wear and tear -- seems to cover any fault if it is just a result of "using the car" ? Can anyone help me or how to escalate this case?

It's winter - hoping to sort this by the summer!

Thanks!
Hi JCMorgan, what was the end result??

redhot ES

Post by redhot ES » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am

In the garage yesterday ,Air con not working.

Got the call, stone hit the unit.

Part here on Friday, dreading the costs ,as French prices on premium car parts are horrendous .

As previously said ,shouldn't there be some sort of protection for this ?

Will do my best to have a go about the costs, but will no doubt get the Gallic shrug & will just have to cough up.

So I could leave the garage ,go down the road & hit happens again .

NOT HAPPY
XES
20 Propeller Racing Red Sunroof Climate Seats Heated Wheel, Red Leather Navi Pack 380 Black Pack Plus Cold Climate Pack Advance Parking Assist 360 Cam Road Tech Pack 40/20/40 M Lighting Wi FI Hot spot control Secure lane secure

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:06 am

Ask to see the condenser and get them to show you the hole in it.
There were quite a few failures due to faulty condensers and most got them replaced under warranty.
Quite a few had the "stone damage" excuse until they dug their toes in and asked to see the damage.

As we have said before, the chances for a stone to hit the condenser through the small holes in the grille is incredibly small.

redhot ES

Post by redhot ES » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:08 am

Was going to do exactly that.

Got the wife brushing up on her French

Probably be like flogging a dead one of what they like to eat over here
XES
20 Propeller Racing Red Sunroof Climate Seats Heated Wheel, Red Leather Navi Pack 380 Black Pack Plus Cold Climate Pack Advance Parking Assist 360 Cam Road Tech Pack 40/20/40 M Lighting Wi FI Hot spot control Secure lane secure

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”