Post camshaft sensor update

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
User avatar
vitoman58
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent

Post camshaft sensor update

Post by vitoman58 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Following an orange Engine Management Light I had a software update on the camshaft sensor.

Could be my imagination (but don't think so and other forum members have said the same) but since then the performance of the car is much better and smoother. Once very noticeable change is a smoother and better pickup when changing gear (I have a manual shift) at low revs. First gear pulling away from stop also seems less jerky with less hesitation.

Hope I'm right and that once I replace my Pirellis with something else my entrance on to roundabouts and away from lights won't be quite as embarrassing with tyre slip ;) .
Steve
R-Sport 250ps, Firenze Red, Black Pack, 825w Meridian ICTP, Adaptive+Configurable Dynamics, IDD

Deleted User 732

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 am

I had mine updated last year and noticed better start ups and quieter when warmed up.

Indianajons
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: Peak District, UK

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Indianajons » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

I was told mine was done last summer but it’s still showing on Topix as outstanding?
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Deleted User 732

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am

Indianajons wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am
I was told mine was done last summer but it’s still showing on Topix as outstanding?
Topix now takes ages to clear as the dealers are in the main using WASP.

JFH_14
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm
Location: London

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by JFH_14 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi people, this is my first post on here, I own a Jaguar XE R Sport 2015. Since owning the car it has been perfect (other than start/stop not functioning, SHOCK?!). However just over a week ago the engine management light came on which seemed to trigger a loss of power. A diagnostic tool was used to determine the fault as P0341 (camshaft position sensor - circuit range or performance problem). As a result I changed the sensor (twice!!) to no avail! it has been in with Jaguar specialists for 5 days and they have returned the car without finding a solution or cause to the problem. It has been mentioned there is a possibility it could be related to the timing chain, however the mechanic who worked on the car said other than the fault (P0341) there is no other evidence to suggest this. When the engine management light is tuned off by the mechanics the car drives fine for a period of time before the light illuminates again and the cars performance drops. This has stumped me. my Dad (who is a mechanic) and the Jaguar specialists! It's a bit of a longshot but hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on what's causing my problem. I also had Jaguar check for updates for the camshaft position sensor and they told me the car was fully up to date...?? HELP!!

Rye17
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Rye17 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi there,
New to the forum but just came across this thread.
I have had the exact same problem as is described above.
My 2015 XE started to struggle to start back in March so took to Halfords as a result of the dealerships being closed. Halfords diagnosed as a cam shaft sensor fault and therefore replaced the sensor. The issue did not go away and was told that a solenoid was potentially a problem which would need to come from the dealer. They did however disconnect one of the other sensors at the back which meant the issue did not return.
Earlier this week I took the car into the dealer and asked them to reconnect the sensor and fix the issue. They diagnosed the problem as a variable valve solenoid and a connected sensor which they then replaced but the issue did not go away (albeit I have still been charged £600 for the privilege of the new sensors.
The dealer has now said that the cam shaft sensor is showing as a fault however they have tested the new sensor and there is no issue with that. They therefore are suggesting that it is a timing chain issue as was the case in the previous post. They are suggesting they want £1,200 just to look to see whether this is the problem!
Any help or experiences anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
I have to admit, i'm not a mechanic so i'm a bit lost here but keen to understand where those posting the previous issues ended up...
Many thanks

Rye17
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Rye17 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:28 pm

JFH_14 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 pm
Hi people, this is my first post on here, I own a Jaguar XE R Sport 2015. Since owning the car it has been perfect (other than start/stop not functioning, SHOCK?!). However just over a week ago the engine management light came on which seemed to trigger a loss of power. A diagnostic tool was used to determine the fault as P0341 (camshaft position sensor - circuit range or performance problem). As a result I changed the sensor (twice!!) to no avail! it has been in with Jaguar specialists for 5 days and they have returned the car without finding a solution or cause to the problem. It has been mentioned there is a possibility it could be related to the timing chain, however the mechanic who worked on the car said other than the fault (P0341) there is no other evidence to suggest this. When the engine management light is tuned off by the mechanics the car drives fine for a period of time before the light illuminates again and the cars performance drops. This has stumped me. my Dad (who is a mechanic) and the Jaguar specialists! It's a bit of a longshot but hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on what's causing my problem. I also had Jaguar check for updates for the camshaft position sensor and they told me the car was fully up to date...?? HELP!!
Very keen to hear how this turned out as is almost identical to my situation!!!

JAGDH
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by JAGDH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 am

Rye17 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:28 pm
JFH_14 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 pm
Hi people, this is my first post on here, I own a Jaguar XE R Sport 2015. Since owning the car it has been perfect (other than start/stop not functioning, SHOCK?!). However just over a week ago the engine management light came on which seemed to trigger a loss of power. A diagnostic tool was used to determine the fault as P0341 (camshaft position sensor - circuit range or performance problem). As a result I changed the sensor (twice!!) to no avail! it has been in with Jaguar specialists for 5 days and they have returned the car without finding a solution or cause to the problem. It has been mentioned there is a possibility it could be related to the timing chain, however the mechanic who worked on the car said other than the fault (P0341) there is no other evidence to suggest this. When the engine management light is tuned off by the mechanics the car drives fine for a period of time before the light illuminates again and the cars performance drops. This has stumped me. my Dad (who is a mechanic) and the Jaguar specialists! It's a bit of a longshot but hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on what's causing my problem. I also had Jaguar check for updates for the camshaft position sensor and they told me the car was fully up to date...?? HELP!!
Very keen to hear how this turned out as is almost identical to my situation!!!
Is your car a 2.0d or petrol model?

Mine has had the EML come on a few times due to an emissions issue, and when the battery went flat I had all sorts of errors logged (that seemed to disappear on their own), never had any limited performance though so I would get it fully investigated before driving the car anymore.

Where did you buy the car from and how long ago was it?
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Rye17
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Rye17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 am

Hi
The car is a 2015 2.0 r sport diesel.
Car has been in my family from new (it was my dads previously). Done 50,000 miles.
I don’t have limited performance, the car runs fine it just struggles to start initially. I do have to turn the stop start off however.
Can’t be anything to do with the battery as I had a new one fitted a month ago.
Very odd!

JAGDH
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by JAGDH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am

Rye17 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 am
Hi
The car is a 2015 2.0 r sport diesel.
Car has been in my family from new (it was my dads previously). Done 50,000 miles.
I don’t have limited performance, the car runs fine it just struggles to start initially. I do have to turn the stop start off however.
Can’t be anything to do with the battery as I had a new one fitted a month ago.
Very odd!
I do see people mentioning on here that issues starting can be chain related when combined with this error. Is there no sure fire way for an indie Jag specialist to inspect the chains and tensioners for stretching? Last thing you want is to be caught out by a chain failure as a new engine is probably as much as the car is worth on a trade in.

I wouldn’t panic necessarily, but there are definitely isolated cases with chain issues mentioned on this forum. You know the full history of the car and I assume it’s been meticulously serviced, I always suspected any chain issues were on cars that weren’t getting properly serviced, something that’s stayed in the family has usually been looked after well.

When you say it struggles to start, have you got a video showing this? Is it a second or two longer than it should or does it completely fail to turn over a few times before the button works?

A video would be worth a thousand words if you could get one of the startup issue and engine
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Post Reply