Post camshaft sensor update

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Crownwheel

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Crownwheel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 pm

Update
Engine management light noting "sensor fail" cam on again and featured on the dashboard for a few days and then disappeared again. No change to engine performance or fuel consumption so will continue to ignore on the basis of "if it aint broke....."
(Still have intermittent EGR problem too despite chemical additives in fuel)
John
Ultimate Black Jaguar 2016 XE R Sport 2.0 Diesel, Black pack with Oyster inlays on seats.

Dan1983

Post by Dan1983 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:03 am

Hi. Any update on how you got on with the fault and and further action.

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:37 pm

This is a problem that I suggested a cleaner with, such as Wynns. The fact that the light is now going out "may" mean that the cleaner is working and another bottle is required. Sometimes short distance travel in diesels is a major cause of injector, DPF problems and EGR problems. The XE is not a DPF faulty car, because of where it is positioned. You can buy a range of different additives to help clear and correct those, BUT it may take a few goes. Has the camshaft sensor update been done? (that was sent out by JLR in 2016/17) Who has been servicing the car? Have they used the correct spec oil? It's not just the grade as in 0W-30 but other things within the grade. The garage you have been to, stating chain renewal is I assume a JLR dealer?. I would suggest try the Wynns Gold treatment as this also reduces diesel engine clatter. https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/formul ... treatment/ I use Millers Ecomax @ double dosage every fill up (2 mls/Litre) a bottle of that will last many fill ups. Try the Wynns first and see what happens. I think the one dose has started to work from what you say but the Gold treatment maybe a way forward. That may be the way to go first as it will be far cheaper than renewing timing chains that may not be faulty.
R Sport 180D 2015

Patryk1092

Post by Patryk1092 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:15 pm

I Have similar problem like rye17, same foult and noise, but when I disconnect the injection on 1 cylinder the noise subside. Could u tell how was your problem solved?

Zacarious

Post by Zacarious » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:09 pm

I am having same issues intermittent EML coming on and off. With delayed power.
Had Jaguar Land Rover in YORK take a look they replaced the EGR Valve costing me £700 for diagnostics and to rectify.
Same fault is coming up 3-4 weeks after they done it.

Even though I asked them to check the sensor had been updated.

After my phone call today they said they could not confirm that. Pretty furious as they want another £100 to diagnose it again. I feel like stripping the injectors and trying that.

Jaguar XF prestige 2.0D automatic. 2015

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:03 pm

What is it with these supposedly highly trained technicians that they can't find a fault even with all their top notch computerised diagnostic systems to help them out.

I think it's disgusting that they seem to just have a stab in the dark as to what the fault is, replace a sensor or two, then charge the earth for the privilege only for the fault to remain. Then they expect us to pay all over again when they have another guess.

There's no way you should have to pay for another diagnostic check because they obviously didn't diagnose it correctly the first time :twisted:
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Zacarious

Post by Zacarious » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 pm

My point exactly. I was more annoyed they couldn’t even confirm what I originally asked them to do when booking it in. just fixed something else, which i think they did just to rinse me of money as they couldn’t find a diagnostics. And just thought doing that would fix it and give them a nice packet!!
Also overly charged just because it’s there garage when all these so called mechanics are just fitters really. Boils my piss.
Only reason took it to them because my local garage that are diesel mechanics said. We don’t wanna replace the sensors or do anything else until you get your update (only Jaguar can do) as it can be a number of problems but allot of the faults are fixed when updating the sensors. from what they could find out and also what I have seen all over forums.
I will update on here what I have done and if it works :)

First Jag-g-g

Post by First Jag-g-g » Sat May 01, 2021 2:41 am

Crownwheel,
Read your intermittent "Gearbox failure" error message post from about six months ago. For what it's worth, one of my Saabs had a similar niggling problem for almost a year that I and various master mechanics couldn't properly diagnosis other than suggested to replace the trans at around the 90k mile mark. That wasn't happening.
Eventually the problem was a constant On error message problem that invoked Limp Home mode and then the car completely shutting down. Turns out it was two wires going to the master computer that had a slight nick in them a year earlier due to something that corroded the wires over time which messed with connectivity and signal strength and eventually completely failed/broke creating an open circuit ( one which was a ground wire). The result of this almost impossible to diagnose before hand problem was effectively removing the master computer from the operation of the car (i.e. no brain equalled complete shutdown). US$200. easy fix to re-run two new wires with connectors plus lift time. Glad I didn't take the master mechanic's advice and replaced the trans, ha! Again, may not be your problem but in most cases, I've found if a problem is a major potential problem like Gearbox Failure or throwing a rod (yeah, had one of those in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler), the problem is either well known and socialized via at least a Tech Service Bulletin OR it's usually a sensor/software issue. In most cases, it's usually the latter since OEMs have reasonable quality controls in design and manufacture to avoid them paying big bucks down the line. Keep at it and good luck to you!
2019 Jaguar XE R-Sport 30t AWD, P300, Caldera Red, Ebony/Ebony Interior, Comfort & Convenience, Black Pack, 19" Black Rims, Smart Phone Pack Pics

Crownwheel

Post by Crownwheel » Sat May 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi First Jag,
Never had a reoccurrance of my "gearbox Failure" message but continue to have the Camshaft sensor fail messages which appears for a few days every few weeks or so. Vehicle performance remains unaffected. Latest spurious faults concern the ABS and associated functions such as AEB and stability control (7 in total plus lack of cruise control)
Fault code says left hand wheel speed sensor but it checks out OK so I have to assume damaged wires or connector issue downstream. And then it disappeared for a few days before returning during a trip. Reading other owners experiences with garages capability in correctly identifying actual faults I am reluctant to take the car to a garage, Jaguar or independent to be told an expensive repair is on the cards.
I will try tracing wiring and break/make associated connectors in case it is connectivity issue.
Otherwise the car runs as expected.
Ultimate Black Jaguar 2016 XE R Sport 2.0 Diesel, Black pack with Oyster inlays on seats.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 pm

Crownwheel wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:58 pm
Hi First Jag,
Never had a reoccurrance of my "gearbox Failure" message but continue to have the Camshaft sensor fail messages which appears for a few days every few weeks or so. Vehicle performance remains unaffected. Latest spurious faults concern the ABS and associated functions such as AEB and stability control (7 in total plus lack of cruise control)
Fault code says left hand wheel speed sensor but it checks out OK so I have to assume damaged wires or connector issue downstream. And then it disappeared for a few days before returning during a trip. Reading other owners experiences with garages capability in correctly identifying actual faults I am reluctant to take the car to a garage, Jaguar or independent to be told an expensive repair is on the cards.
I will try tracing wiring and break/make associated connectors in case it is connectivity issue.
Otherwise the car runs as expected.
Could be water ingress if it hasn’t had the drain hole mod
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot