Post camshaft sensor update

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Rye17

Re: Post camshaft sensor update

Post by Rye17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi JAGDH

Thanks for the response.

I do have a video of the issue but i'm struggling to be able to upload it to the forum here. Not sure how best to go about getting it on?

In short the car does start first time albeit it takes a couple of seconds of turning over before it kicks in. The engine light is constantly on. What was odd is that Halfords previously disconnected a sensor from the back of the car which meant that the car started and ran just fine. Even the stop start worked! I don't know whether that would have been simply masking an issue though.

Completely agree about the chain failure and the new engine. I really hope that is not going to be where I end up as I love this car. As you say, it has been kept in the family, had full jaguar service history and been very well looked after so i'm really surprised to be having an issue like this before it is even five years old.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:59 pm

I think IMGUR is the easiest service to upload to. Then you just paste in the URL to your post here and it automatically converts it to an embedded video when people view the post.

I’ve been paranoid about the chain on mine due to some posts here, but it could just be that you only hear the negatives on a forum most of the time.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Rye17

Post by Rye17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Try this?

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Rye17 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Try this?
Looks like it’s uploaded without sound (according to the app when I’m viewing it) but somehow somebody from Imgur has replied with their view of the issue (not sure how they’ve heard it)

If I remember correctly when uploading there is a sound/mute icon that you have to toggle to “On” as the default is to upload without audio.

Feel free to PM me if you want to send it to me on WhatsApp and I’ll try uploading from my account.

Rye17

Post by Rye17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:56 pm

I’ve just reuploaded with sound. Whoops!

Rye17

Post by Rye17 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:23 am

Update

I have just received a call from the garage to say the technicians have diagnosed the issue as the timing chains and have quoted me £4,500 to fix!!

An absolute joke to be having an issue like this on a car less than 5 years old!

Geoffscat

Post by Geoffscat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 am

Were you sitting down or have you just recovered ?

That does sound expensive ! Has the timing chain stretched ?

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Rye17 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:23 am
Update

I have just received a call from the garage to say the technicians have diagnosed the issue as the timing chains and have quoted me £4,500 to fix!!

An absolute joke to be having an issue like this on a car less than 5 years old!
Oh no, gutted for you ☹️

Have you got a second opinion to be 100% sure?

I’ve seen a few posts on here saying they’ve had this issue (worth pointing out for the number of times we’ve seen the issue on the forum recently there are probably a hundred other cars that didn’t get the issue).

For something so big it would always be worth checking again with another garage. There could (I’m not a mechanic) be other causes of these symptoms I’d imagine?

Geoffscat

Post by Geoffscat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:13 pm

If the car has been regularly serviced for all those years I think you should contact JLR.

They stated in their description of the engine that the timing chain lasts the lifetime of the engine . A timing chain should last longer than the mileage recorded on

your car . It was one of the reasons why manufacturers changed from using toothed belts .

They have placed the timing chain at the back of the engine behind the flywheel which makes it extremely difficult to get to and would imply that they didn't

think it would need replacing .

I think you should get a 2nd opinion and go from there .

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Geoffscat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:13 pm
If the car has been regularly serviced for all those years I think you should contact JLR.

They stated in their description of the engine that the timing chain lasts the lifetime of the engine . A timing chain should last longer than the mileage recorded on

your car . It was one of the reasons why manufacturers changed from using toothed belts .

They have placed the timing chain at the back of the engine behind the flywheel which makes it extremely difficult to get to and would imply that they didn't

think it would need replacing .

I think you should get a 2nd opinion and go from there .
Good advice, I can’t remember the username but convinced that I did see a post from at least one person who suffered a catastrophic failure due to the chain snapping and Jaguar ended up sorting it - not sure how old it was. But worth checking for sure.

Expect they will push back if it hasn’t been serviced exactly on time at main dealers mind you. But for £4.5K which is probably 33% of the cars value I’d definitely give it a go!