Jaguar XE Forum banner

Transmission oil specification

10K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  3381 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm struggling to find the specification for the transmission oil in a 2017 automatic 2.0L ingenium engine. Can anyone advise?

Thank you.

#3 ·
I've found a few brands from generic searches wasn't sure if they have a specific JLR specification, I believe they do? I was hoping to figure that out so I could find a suitable product as I can't really verify what the websites are telling me otherwise.

Didn't find the ZF Lifeguard 8, so I will look at that thanks.

So I've looked at the ZF Lifeguard -- I don't really fancy paying £170 for a 10L drum. Do they put glitter in it or something?

#7 ·
It looks like it. Rimmer Bros have the same numbers in their reference number as the LR one in the specification for the one on ebay. Personally I would check it with a Jaguar dealer before I committed myself. It's an expensive gearbox to make a mistake with. As it's only changed every 60K I would rather pay more for the best oil I could get.

#8 ·
Ta, after much searching I managed to find the vehicle transmission applications document on the ZF website here:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf

Which lists on page 4 the JDE specification of 02JDE 26444 as matching the ZF Lifeguard 8 specification of ZF No. S671 090
312, which matches the ebay listing above, so I've gone for that. But, *grumble grumble* I can't for the life of me understand how any oil is worth that much.

The Lifeguardfluid 8 product specification itself is here:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/master-content/zf-services-portal/pc-and-lcv/parts-and-products/oil-change-kits/oil-datasheets/zf-lifeguardfluid-8-en-201704.pdf

The website shows they do a kit -- there's a filter which is built into the platic transmission sump cover which is detachable from the cover itself, the kit seems to contain replacement bolts, the filter and 7 bottles of lifeguard 8:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/aftermarket-portal/passenger-cars-and-lcv/spare-parts-and-products/oil-and-oil-change-kit

G
#12 ·
bugsrunner said:
How many liters does it need?
2017 XE X760 with 8-Speed Auto 8HP70/45 - RWD

Um..... Here is picture from Topix. 8.5 litres??????????? Surely not!

WARNING: There are specific details and testing to ensure it is refilled correctly to the correct level (and torque settings and tools required) according to the manual so be careful if your attempting this yourself (not that you would if you have a 2017 model anyway as per OP question).

View attachment 6997

Attachments

#15 ·
By the way, you wont get all 8.5litres in, in one go. You need to brim it to the fill port, run the car, cycle through all of the gears, let the transmission reach temperature (40 degrees celcius from memory) so that the internal valve opens which circulates the trans oil around the cooling system, and then it should take another approx 1.5L, basically brim it to the fill port again.

#16 ·
I've spent some time doing this myself recently and found the only way i could get the fluid in was via the small black breather pipe on the top of the engine. Cyling reverse, first and second. Then revving to two thousand rpm in neutral for 30 seconds, turning off the engine then a load of air comes out of the breather and rinse and repeat. Its a real ball-ache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.