Strong vibration at idle

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
ahostmadsen

Strong vibration at idle

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 pm

My XE 2.5t (with the pre-ingenium (Ford?) engine) has strong vibration in idle. One can both hear and feel it. A tractor comes to mind. I took it to Jaguar, and they tightened some bolts on the exhaust, with zero effect. I think they will take a look again. But before that, I would like to see if anyone else has that problem, and what could be the cause?

I love the XE, definitely the best driving car I ever had. But the vibration at idle drives me crazy.

Barrie

Re: Strong vibration at idle

Post by Barrie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Loose vacuum tube to the engine mounts. Or failed engine mounts.

Barrie
XE 20T 200ps Prestige. Rhodium Silver.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm

My as gone in today😫
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Time WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm

ahostmadsen wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 pm
My XE 2.5t (with the pre-ingenium (Ford?) engine) has strong vibration in idle. One can both hear and feel it. A tractor comes to mind. I took it to Jaguar, and they tightened some bolts on the exhaust, with zero effect. I think they will take a look again. But before that, I would like to see if anyone else has that problem, and what could be the cause?
As Barrie says, it's a known problem with the engine mounts and the vacuum tubes connected to them.
Quote SSM 72758 to the dealer who should do a test on the system.
Big thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5675
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

PhilB wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm
ahostmadsen wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 pm
As Barrie says, it's a known problem with the engine mounts and the vacuum tubes connected to them.
Quote SSM 72758 to the dealer who should do a test on the system.
Big thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5675
Thanks. Very informative, as usual. I will tell the dealer when I talk to them, perhaps later today.

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm

My dilemma is: our car is on short term lease with perhaps 8 months remaining. So, do I want to go through the trouble with getting this fixed?

On the other hand, I really, really like this car. I want my next car to be a Jaguar (XE or XF). But not if the dealer service is bad (had bad experience with other brand). So, this is like an exam: can the dealer service fix this problem?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:00 am

It may be a simple fix such as reconnecting a hose (others have found this).
I'm not sure if it would be an issue with the leasing company as I understand they go over them with a fine-toothed comb on return and it sitting there shaking itself to bits might not be too good.
I would give the dealer a try.
They definitely aren't all bad so get it looked at.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 pm

PhilB wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:00 am
It may be a simple fix such as reconnecting a hose (others have found this).
I'm not sure if it would be an issue with the leasing company as I understand they go over them with a fine-toothed comb on return and it sitting there shaking itself to bits might not be too good.
I would give the dealer a try.
They definitely aren't all bad so get it looked at.
Yes, I took it back to the dealer, and they are keeping it for several days. So, at least they take it seriously. We'll see what the result is,

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”