Strong vibration at idle

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Madatter

Re: Strong vibration at idle

Post by Madatter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am

They had mine in a couple of weeks ago, they said they couldn't find anything wrong but to bring it back if it continues? I've changed the fuel to Esso and I've got a 200 mile round trip next week, if it's still vibrating when I get back I'll be taking it back to the garage.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Seems to me like I am having the same issue?

You can hear (and I feel) it, when the engine revs go down.

Engine mount? Is it an issue which will come up again or is there a permanent solution?

Thx in advance.
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Xephil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Engine mount? Is it an issue which will come up again or is there a permanent solution?

Thx in advance.
It’s hard to judge from the video, the sound is not that clear. In my case, the vibration is there at idle. As soon as I increase the RPM just very slightly above the idle, the vibration disappears.

An update: they say it’s the left and right engine mounts, and they will replace them (left and right? Doesn’t that mean all engine mounts? Are there any other?). It took them a week to get to that conclusion, and it will take another week to get the parts. But I’m not complaining. Meanwhile I have a 35t loaner :D .

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes, it's not at idle, just a little "above". If you listen carefully you should hear it. Car than vibrates a lot. Feels like it's caused by exhaust. Gets better, when engine is at temperature. Worse at low temperature (outside) obviously.
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

Anyone (else)?
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:15 pm

The engine mount issue is normally evident at idle as it is caused by failure in one or more of the mounts or one of the vacuum tubes coming adrift.
Once a few revs are on the engine it smooths out so the mounts aren't as critical to the smoothness.

Listening to your vid there is a definite resonance just above 1000 rpm.
It would make me think something is lose such as one of the undertray panels, a heat shield maybe, or part of the exhaust?
It needs putting on a ramp by the dealer and revving whilst a tech has a good look underneath.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Storm grey Pics black pack and a few more bits.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I have been at my dealer and will bring it in in three weeks from now. Since the car / engine is shaking, any risk using it?
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 pm

I got the car back, and the vibration is indeed fixed. Let me be precise. The low-frequency vibration is still there, but it’s drastically reduced. Before I could both feel and hear the vibration — essentially the whole car was shaking. Now the sound is gone, and there is only a weak vibration through the seat. It’s still more than the 35t loaner and my Cadillac CTS, but not much — occasionally those two cars also have some moderate vibration. Definitely acceptable now.

This was an exam, and the Jaguar service department passed it! So, when my lease expires (soon), I will likely get another Jaguar.

I attach what exactly they did, for reference.

IMG_2827.jpeg

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Xephil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Thx in advance.
That sounds awfully similar to a vibration/rumble I had on my last XE, it was evident when the revs come down (for example when coming to a stop at a junction) and sounds like it's coming from the front footwells which made me think it was engine mounts.
Turned out 2 of the exhaust mounts had completely failed (one was missing). They were replaced and the problem was solved.
Jaguar XE S [380PS] |[Garage space for a new toy] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks, that´s actually what my first thought was before I read about the engine mount.
Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”