Jaguar XE Forum banner

ECU Remap and Air Filter

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 
#1 ·
G
#2 ·
By now I am sure you will have had the remap done. I am always dubious of tinkering with electronics but there again I am old fashioned. I once fitted a Sparkrite electronic ignition to a Vauxhall and it worked perfectly. Then I got my first Maestro 1600 and that was electronic ignition and failed within a few weeks. That made me wary of electronics. Silly I know. The K&N filter was always part of my cars from the Maestros onwards and K&N offered to completely retune and modify my Rover 45 V6 as a test for the pending MG V6 ZS. All work would be covered by them against problems but I chickened out because the car was new. They are not far from me in their UK operations. I may get one on the next service now all warranty are coming to an end. I still have all the cleaning and reoiling fluids. I expect that the filter alone will give about 5 BHP anyway. From memory it gave about that on my MG Maestro when tested by one of the car mags. I'd love to know what it feels like when you get it done. ;)

#3 ·
Well, it's done.

It's a little bit scary to the uninitiated....e.g. The car goes completely dead when just reading the ECU.

After the ECU was read, the car came back to life as normal, and he uploaded the ECU file to BlackCode.

After a nervous hour wait, the modified file was received and re-uploaded to the ECU.

So, I've taken it out for a brief spin...….and it's noticeable.....very noticeable.

The power seems to be applied much more smoothly...hard to explain....but acceleration is noticeable also.
It actually makes me feel like I was driving a broken car before. It's.....less jerky...if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately, the renowned lag is still present when approaching a roundabout, when you want to scoot off.....a bit akin to turbo lag, but once the turbo spools up, you see the difference.

I for one am very pleased, and was £227 well spent in my opinion.

I still haven't fitted the K&N filter yet.....damn work getting in the way of that....but a project for the weekend perhaps.

So, in essence, personally, I think it's worth getting done. Can't speak for fuel efficiency as yet, but will update after a tank of diesel.

#5 ·
Glad it all worked out ok Alan.

I have just bought a K&N filter and will probably fit it next week. I did have a look at the old filter a few weeks ago. It was previously changed at the first service. It isn't difficult to replace. Just undo the torx screws around the edge of the top of the filter housing, ease it up carefully as it is still attached to the air feed pipe across the front of the engine and pull out the filter. The existing filter wasn't particulary dirty but as it's due for change anyway at the 2nd service in July and I intend to keep the car, I thought it was a good idea to buy a K&N.

Might consider the remap myself. I will be interested to see your future comments when you have used it for a while with the extra ooomph :) :)

#6 ·
Just changed the filter now.

Exactly as per your description bob. Very easy.

Unfortunately I can't take it for a good ragging at the minute as my young son is in bed and SWMBO has gone to the pub!

Tomorrow......I feel a little road trip somewhere ......

#8 ·
Well, here's something new.

Before I went for my long drive this morning.....I couldn't believe this.....my stop/start that hasn't work in like a year is now working perfectly. No long run, no battery charge, just ECU remap and K&N filter. LOL

Also, I tried Dynamic and Sport mode on my run......let's just say.....it's made a massive difference. Couldn't believe it. I think they may have programmed a 5.0 Mustang ECU by mistake!!!

#9 ·
Bit of a bizarre solution to the omnipresent stop start problem! Reading between the lines sounds like you are very pleased with the outcome ( :D ) but are there any negatives you've picked up on or is it early days and too soon to tell?
Presumably it's also difficult/impossible to know the car has been re-mapped unless you purposely access the ecu?

#10 ·
No downsides whatsoever. So far.

The engineer showed me his laptop which confirmed that the new map had been written to the ECU. I watched the whole process.

It's definately not placebo. 100% noticeable.

I'm thinking of getting the wife's done also!!

#11 ·
Just realised you meant "other" people knowing if it has been mapped.

As far as I'm aware, no, they won't know.

I asked specifically what if Jaguar update the ECU as part of some update, and he said he'll just come back and reupload the file for a small fee.

#12 ·
I hope you've notified your insurance company, they could refuse to pay out on any claim you may make in the future if they weren't told and they somehow find out about it (such as reading about it on here)

G
#16 ·
I remember the days when I modified my MG Maestro, uprated brakes, K&N filter, Turbo side skirts, top tailgate spoiler, 25% uprated 2" lower springs with gas shocks and a Janspeed exhuast. No extra charge with General accident and Commercial Union (both eaten up by others now). Now they want to know if you change the floor mats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.