HELPPP leak discovered

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP

Re: HELPPP leak discovered

Post by BOBCDP » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Just checked mine. Dry as a bone. July 2015, 27000 miles.

IMG_1428.JPG

MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:23 pm

That is how mine looks but on touching it it was slightly wet at the very top. I suspect oil misting and it is nothing to worry about until/or if it gets to the EGR valve which can be cleaned with a suitable cleaner.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

M4RK5JAG

Post by M4RK5JAG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks all for the replies, that’s really helpful!

I have got it booked in with JLR this Wednesday under warranty and will report back their findings.

It seems pretty unusual and on mine it is pretty wet and pipe is really black where it looks like it’s been leaking for a while.

Also my engine seems to run a bit rough when I start it in the morning but not sure if this is normal on Jags or even if the above is related in any way but will mention it to them when I drop it in Wednesday.... The engine sometimes is really loud when it starts and then calms down after about 3-4 mins.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm

The rough running could be the EGR valve needing cleaning but most diesel engines sound a bit clackety when cold. I use Millers Ecomax which is supposed to help keep things running better. Every now and then I put a bottle of Wynns diesel engine cleaner in the tank on fill up, usually in the spring just to give in a clean up. Probably a waste of money but I have done it with the two diesels I have had and never had any problems. I am still convinced that this is caused by oil misting which many cars suffer from. On my old MG Maestro it was a real pain and caused small breathers to block, until I insulated the oil filler pipe which had a breather attached to it. It was right at the front of the engine exposed to all the cold air. The insulation was noted by my dealer and MG Rover made a kit to fit it which I got FOC from my dealer. They are now my JLR dealer.

M4RK5JAG

Post by M4RK5JAG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks Vespa.

I managed to get a recording of the rough engine start up (see below link) which you will hear in the first part of the video and in the second part you will hear it has slightly calmed down.

https://youtu.be/lBR0QN4N1oo

I took my car to a JLR service centre today and they are currently investigating both the noise and leak. Not much progress yet, had to leave it overnight.. I don’t think mine is caused by misting as the liquid seems oily and solid rather than misty. I think it’s probably a faulty seal (I hope). I’m keen to find out what this engine noise is though. I don’t hear it that often and sounds a bit concerning :cry:

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am

M4RK5JAG wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:29 pm
Thanks Vespa.

I managed to get a recording of the rough engine start up (see below link) which you will hear in the first part of the video and in the second part you will hear it has slightly calmed down.

I took my car to a JLR service centre today and they are currently investigating both the noise and leak. Not much progress yet, had to leave it overnight.. I don’t think mine is caused by misting as the liquid seems oily and solid rather than misty. I think it’s probably a faulty seal (I hope). I’m keen to find out what this engine noise is though. I don’t hear it that often and sounds a bit concerning :cry:
The misting eventually goes back to oil as the water evaporates and is slightly gooey. On the MG Maestro this formed in the thinner pipes and
eventually go sucked out under vac pressure entering the cylinders and causing what looked like an exploding engine for a few seconds. The XE pipe is in a similar place although much wider and that is why I am sure its oil misting. I would bet they find no faults but change the pipe and clips. The noise sounds like oil starvation on start up combined with cold diesel engine noise. I think that needs looking at but if its only for a few seconds it may be nothing to worry about. This engine has a cam chain and is known to have problems with them. There are several tensioners on the route of it around the pulleys they may be at fault.

M4RK5JAG

Post by M4RK5JAG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Vespa wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am
M4RK5JAG wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:29 pm
Thanks Vespa.

The misting eventually goes back to oil as the water evaporates and is slightly gooey. On the MG Maestro this formed in the thinner pipes and
eventually go sucked out under vac pressure entering the cylinders and causing what looked like an exploding engine for a few seconds. The XE pipe is in a similar place although much wider and that is why I am sure its oil misting. I would bet they find no faults but change the pipe and clips. The noise sounds like oil starvation on start up combined with cold diesel engine noise. I think that needs looking at but if its only for a few seconds it may be nothing to worry about. This engine has a cam chain and is known to have problems with them. There are several tensioners on the route of it around the pulleys they may be at fault.
I see what you mean and thanks, that’s really helpful.. I just had a call from JLR and they have confirmed it’s a oil leak with the ‘down pipe turbo’ and the noise is due to lack of pressure caused by the leak (I think he said). They’ve ordered parts (not sure what) but won’t arrive until next week so I’m taking the car back for the time being as I would rather it be in my garage than their car park :lol: They said it will be okay if I keep an eye on the oil level and don’t use it much which I won’t.

I’m really keen to find out next week if that is the cause of the noise

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”