Jaguar XE Forum banner

Adblue life

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Madatter 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how long adblue lasts once it's put in the car. I have an unopened 10l container that's a year old. Shelf life 18 months. I only need to top up once a year at most. I understand that once opened the shelf life is 6 months. So my concern is that if I refill with this will it go 'off' whilst in the cars adblue tank before my next refill comes around? Thanks, Ken.

G
#2 ·
All I can say here is that I have kept topping mine up from the same 10 ltr supply for 3 1/2 years and its been OK. If you think you need to top it up now I would do it. I have always decanted into a REDEX Adblue bottle as it has a filter built in and does not allow overfill. The dealers use a machine which detects the level and the actual amount to be added so as not to overfill as this sets off all sorts of alarm lights to the effect of Adblue qulity is not correct. As your car is an 18 year model you may assume that 500 miles per litre is about right. Mine is around 1000 miles / Ltr being an older model in 15500 miles of which I have done 11000 miles that works out about right for MY car with the first lot from Redex Adblue (For mine see this https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4N/2016/T19950/18377_en_GBR/proc/G1763066) for yours a 2018 model https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4N/2018/T19950/25469_en_GBR/proc/G2062189 Read furthur down and you will see advice of about 500 miles/ltr. It really is up to you but DO NOT overfill.

#3 ·
I tackled it slightly differently. Last November I bought 10 litres of AdBlue (DEF) from ECP. In early August this year up popped the warning that it needed topping up/refilling. Given I had done something like 6 thousand miles and the alleged consumption of the stuff, I attempted to put in 10 litres and it took every last drop. I should also add I had the 180 engine and therefore the larger 18 litre AdBlue tank. It willingly took all of the 10 litres and immediately thereafter the refill warning extinguished. So if I still had the car I would wait until I saw the warning again knowing full well it would cheerfully take 10 litres. I stored the AdBlue on the garage floor in a sealed cardboard box and upon using it there was not even the merest hint of any crystallisation and I therefore assumed it was as fresh as it could be.

#4 ·
Given the issues around Adblue, I personally wouldn't risk it. A 5l container of it is cheap enough, so I drop a fresh one in when the message centre tells me I need 10l.

#5 ·
I differ only slightly from BRC's method, I wait for low level warning (500 miles I think), and then purchase a 10 litre can, and dump the lot in, saves me worrying about storage :)

#7 ·
Just a small warning. On the bottom of the service items list right at the bottom in the small print it says jaguar will drain and replace the adblue if you've done low mileage, and there will be an extra charge for this.

#8 ·
I've got 25 litres given to me from a friend who got it from work so who knows how old it is. Today add blue warning on car 1500 miles left, reading on hear about age and other problems people have had I decided not to use what I have and to ring local Jaguar garages 2 of them. Asked how much 10 litres was, answer £29.90 and they fill it, told them its says 12 litres, how much, answer same price as they just fill it. thought may aswel leave till down to couple hundred miles left, Asked second garage and answer was its free just pull in and they'll fill it up. next problem Halfords 10 litres 12.50 minus trade card 20 mile round trip, free top up 90 mile round trip. I do like driving my car and a free bee, more like 130 miles round trip by time i'm back.

#9 ·
Madatter said:
Just a small warning. On the bottom of the service items list right at the bottom in the small print it says jaguar will drain and replace the adblue if you've done low mileage, and there will be an extra charge for this.
I do about 10,000 a year so should be OK. Putting it in for a year 2 service next month and there will be 21,000 on the clock. Had an oil and filter change done at 12,000 though.

#10 ·
Kennl said:
Madatter said:
I do about 10,000 a year so should be OK. Putting it in for a year 2 service next month and there will be 21,000 on the clock. Had an oil and filter change done at 12,000 though.
I was wondering why they have to drain it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.