Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Swallows

Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by Swallows » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi,

My first diesel and first XE (MY15 37450 miles), which on the whole I have been enjoying for 2 months (about 500 miles), having moved from petrol XJ12, Sovereigns and S-types. I was told by the car dealership I bought it from, they would top up the AdBlue, obviously not?

Today I received a orange warning light "In correct Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected" then about 15 minutes later same error with "No Engine restarts in 512 miles In correct Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected " It has recently done a 150 mile trip at motorway speeds, very smooth running.

I have searched but am not clear about adding AdBlue, 1. because of the "In correct Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected" error and 2. guidance says add two bottles, then visit Jaguar for AdBlue fill up. Is it one or the other? Can I fill with AdBlue and that is enough or does it have to go to Jaguar for the AdBlue system?

Thank you
XE 180 Portfolio + several upgrades -Black Cherry Barolo
Past joys several: Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Jaguar XJ6's Sovereign 4.0 & Sport's 4.0, X350 V8, Jaguar XJS V12 6.0

RoJo

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by RoJo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 pm

I'd be wary about adding any more Adblue as the warning message is about quality, not quantity. In my opinion, it needs to go back to the supplying dealer to sort out, there's a whole saga about these messages.

Adding the DEF is simple, when required. It's a cheap and simple job, just be sure not to overfill.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 pm

A simple Adblue quality tester can be bought for £12. Might give you more leverage when talking to the car trader.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Get ready for the “incorrect ad blue” “drain and replace” “new sensor required” bullcrap from the dealer....
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 am

Regretfully there are many reported instances of "Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected" and much of the past form requires the DEF tank to be drained and a sensor to be changed. Neither should be necessary and are not without significant cost. To date there appears to be no definitive cause for this problem and therefore a wallet busting is the preferred dealer solution! If your supplying dealer allegedly topped up the DEF tank then you should query them as to why you are getting these messages. I fear however you will be required to visit a Jag dealer and the scenario outlined by Indianajons is highly likely to play out.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Swallows

Post by Swallows » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 am

Morning, thank you for the helpful thoughts, I am disappointed that it also a 'sensor' related problem with out a real known reason. My thoughts are it is now saying 512 miles to go, plus the 'incorrect quality' , it sounds sensor related, but it must have been running ok since last service. The dealer reliably informs me they filled with the correct AdBlue ISO 22241-1/DIN 70070

I know it is my choice, if I were to fill with AdBlue, this would clear the Amber triangle countdown? if the DEF quality issue is still there as a Amber warning, does it actually have any effect on the running of the car? how it injects, emissions etc., and will it stop the car from working?

Regards
Past joys several: Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Jaguar XJ6's Sovereign 4.0 & Sport's 4.0, X350 V8, Jaguar XJS V12 6.0

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:02 am

This fault can only be cleared by a dealer, as far as I know. Adding fresh Adblue won't help, but once the countdown reaches zero you will not be able to start the car!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am

If you add your own adblue then the supplying dealer can have wriggle room regarding quality.
At the moment the Adblue in the car is as they supplied it so they should sort it out at no cost to yourself.
Adding your own is very unlikely to clear the warnings so you will still be at square one.
Have a look at this topic which covers this ongoing saga:

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7723
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Swallows

Post by Swallows » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 am

Thank you, clear to me now, I appreciate all the advice given.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 am

Swallows wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 am

I know it is my choice, if I were to fill with AdBlue, this would clear the Amber triangle countdown? if the DEF quality issue is still there as a Amber warning, does it actually have any effect on the running of the car? how it injects, emissions etc., and will it stop the car from working?

Regards
It’s not telling you that you only have enough ad blue to drive 500 miles but that you can only drive a further 500 miles with “incorrect quality” ad blue that it thinks it’s detected. If your model is one of the later ones that only does 500 miles/litre this is likely to be caused by urea crystals on the sensor which can just be cleaned off and the fault reset. If it’s one of the earlier 1000 miles/litre models then it’s more likely to be a software fault. Both of which should be corrected foc by the dealer.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot