Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
darrenbailey2008

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by darrenbailey2008 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:22 am

The report stating £1200 for the DEF sensor. - Nitro Sensor replacement.

Nitro sensor - £309
Screw - 0.72
Kit Injector - 7.00

I then got 80% 'goodwill' from the garage - so it cost me £241.37.
I was told that I had to pay something to ensure the part would be covered under 2 year warranty.
Hell of a scam isn't it.

IMG_20200119_111033.jpg

darrenbailey2008

Post by darrenbailey2008 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 am

Hi Everyone.
I have opened a case with the motor ombudsman, namely that this seems to be a monopoly situation when your car is held hostage and you have to negotiate for its release with the garage going for gold with an opening gambit of £1200.
This is a symptom of Sensor management. A light comes on, only Jaguar garages can switch it off and they take full advantage of this.
It needs exposing.

The only resolution is pay as you go £1200 or extend warranty at £700 a year.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 pm

darrenbailey2008 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 am
Hi Everyone.
I have opened a case with the motor ombudsman, namely that this seems to be a monopoly situation when your car is held hostage and you have to negotiate for its release with the garage going for gold with an opening gambit of £1200.
This is a symptom of Sensor management. A light comes on, only Jaguar garages can switch it off and they take full advantage of this.
It needs exposing.

The only resolution is pay as you go £1200 or extend warranty at £700 a year.
Darren, I found out today that not all motor traders are part of the Ombudsman scheme and sadly that particular Ombudsman is very ineffective. I hope, for your sake, that they are part of the scheme and sort it out.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

johnj46

Post by johnj46 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:08 am

The first time I had that message I took the car to Guy Salmon in Northampton who did all the tests and the only thing needed was an update to the software in the PCM? For all of this they charged £550 so I took it to Jaguar complaints who gave me a credit note for that amount. Next time the same fault came up (six months later) the garage agreed not to charge the £90 diagnostic fee. However they found the NOX sensor was faulty and total repair cost was £900. A NOX sensor can be bought for about £140 but Jaguar charge £635 plus fitting and a 1.5 hour drive cycle check. I used the credit note on this repair.
Fingers crossed it will all be OK now.
(BTW I bought the car from Inchcape Norwich but would never take it back to them for repair after troubles I had with them over a previous warranty repair not associated with the adblue issue.).

visartuk

Post by visartuk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 pm

As per a previous post I had the £1300 bill from Jaguar for nox sensor and drain and refill, fought it and got eventually got refund (first said it was not covered by warranty as I had put wrong adblu in).

Since then I had the recall H149, and although Adblu was filled again then a couple of months later I go the message to refill and have done without any problems with everything doing as it should.

The Adblu scenario was my first encounter with Jaguar service and will be my last, I was told at the same visit I needed new breakpads at £800, yet an independent check this and said they did not need replacing, I did have them replaced at the independent some 8 months later at a cost of £95.

Baylea

Post by Baylea » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:09 pm

My Jaguar has beaten me. My fabulous XE R-SPORT 163 AUTO Italian racing red Diesel, purchased new in August 2015 has had to go !! It was perfectly
alright until last August when the Warranty ran out. First message "top up the Adblue" OK did that, then 500mls later message read " Incorrect Diesel additive detected. 500 mls before no restart" That one cost me £670 with visit from Jag Engineer to reset and clean. Great now ready to go to Spain.
We got as far as the French/Spanish border when the dreaded 500 ml countdown came on again! We had 650 mls to go. Emergency calls to Jag Helpline and their response was " You'll be alright for 500 mls but from there DON'T STOP the engine. Well we got to the Villa and parked under our car port to unload the car. This is when it got serious, I could not restart the car. I contacted the Jag dealers in ELCHE and was told to have the car transported there. Car stuck in PARK will not release without starting the car (see last posting on my site) Had to hire a car for 8 days (250 euros) pay for Tow truck (250 euros) and Pay Elche to Drain and refill the Adblue again ( 200 euros)!!. Well at least we drove home (nervously checking for messages) and 1 week after getting home another message" Incorrect Diesel additive detected. 500 mls before no restart" again. Jag at Castle Bromwich could not fit me in for a diagnosis for 2 months. Elche wanted a diagnosis before they would accept responsibility. I got my local garage to fit a new injector paid Jag Technician to reset the fault (total £650) did another 200mls and SOLD IT. I do hope the new owner does not have any more problems! Be careful, the vehicle will not restart after the countdown has expired. This very bad experience has now cost me £25,000 ( only got £10,000 part exchange) Never again will I buy a Jaguar.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 pm

And that's the reason I've just sold my faultless (almost) 25D. I couldn't take a chance on this error message occuring to me. Having said that, every time I put Adblue in, I made damn sure I never overfilled it. Not that I'm suggesting you did, Baylea.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D

Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm

I have just soiled myself reading this thread 🥴

Car just out of warranty. Warning that adblu was low came on last week. Bought 10ltrs from halfords and topped it up. Didn't realise I had to do it 1ltr at a time! I've put about 7-8 litres in there. I've just checked and it is the correct serial number...but 😔
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 pm

gsb1970 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm
I have just soiled myself reading this thread 🥴

Car just out of warranty. Warning that adblu was low came on last week. Bought 10ltrs from halfords and topped it up. Didn't realise I had to do it 1ltr at a time! I've put about 7-8 litres in there. I've just checked and it is the correct serial number...but 😔
You don't need to put 1 litre in at a time, I buy 10 litres and pour it in and have not had a problem on the XF, now the XE that was something else, and one of the reasons I got shot of, was when I was on first name terms with the Jag assist guy's with this issue :)
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm

I guess I better start putting some $ aside for the inevitable then?!🙄😔
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.