Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Deleted User 732

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:00 am

Sadly, I think you have no option but to visit the dealer. I think, but am not 100% sure that there is a patch for the electronics for this issue, without the need to drain and refill, and replace parts unecessarily.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Yes, I had the same issue which was fixed simply by a software update and a re-priming of the system via diagnostic software.
No sensors or pump replacement, no draining of tank, and no cleaning of injector or anything.
Might be worth looking into that first if it's cheaper than the other options.
Mine was done by the JagAssist man-in-a-van as it was still in warranty.

I don't believe it was a software bug in the code as such, just that the parameters used to determine DEF quality were set too restrictively and were loosened up by the software update.
Also, I think that if the tank is overfilled then the system has issues reading the DEF sensor(s) and falls back to reporting invalid fluid. Something I only vaguely recall reading on a TSB somewhere.
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

sdaspland

Post by sdaspland » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think more than anything I begrudge going to jaguar to sort this.
I'd rather just use my normal garage, just not sure if this is something only jaguar can sort out?

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:28 pm

sdaspland wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 pm
Thanks for the reply, I think more than anything I begrudge going to jaguar to sort this.
I'd rather just use my normal garage, just not sure if this is something only jaguar can sort out?
With a lot of makes using Adblue the independant garage may be able to reset everything. No doubt it will be a Bosch system.

sdaspland

Post by sdaspland » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:28 pm
sdaspland wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 pm
With a lot of makes using Adblue the independant garage may be able to reset everything. No doubt it will be a Bosch system.
Thank you, I will contact them, hopefully they can, I hate how franchise garages charge ridiculous amounts

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Sadly it is to keep everything up to date with decor, tooling and all the training they get given to their techs. The local guy probably has a good range of equipment and a reasonable establishment but nowhere near the kit and overheads of the franchised garage.

rdcars

Post by rdcars » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 pm

I recently had the dreaded Ad Blue quality warning and the count down running on my 2015 XE. This was not long after I had topped up the Ad Blue.
After doing some research on here I couldnt find any information for a fix on the the Ad Blue system, other than take the car to the dealer for a potentialy expensive repair and reset.

What I did find on here was a good Topix guide on how to drain the Ad Blue tank which was easier than I thought. It just involves removing the LHR wheel and wheel arch liner, and draining the system through the drain tube, before refilling with fresh Ad Blue.

While I had the car on axle stands I also removed the Ad Blue injector, (very quick job and only requires undoing one 4mm allen bolt) and was suprised how much crystilisation was on the injector and the exhaust hole was partially blocked with crystalised Ad Blue.

The crystalisation on the injector was removed using a spray bottle containing hot water, which disolved the crystalisation very quickly.
To unblock the hole on the exhaust, I simply used a screw to loosed up the Adblue while holding a hoover next to the exhaust hole to stop any Adblue residue falling into the exhaust.
Once reassembled the Adblue quality warning was still on, but at some point during the drive to work of about 25 miles the next day the Ad Blue quality warning went off.

This was over a month ago and 900 miles covered since, without the Ad Blue warning re-appearing.
Based on my experience, if you have this fault I would recommend checking the Ad Blue injector first - It takes longer to jack up the car and fit axle stands than it does to do the job.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:37 am

Good info and thanks for sharing.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:37 am
Good info and thanks for sharing.

+1. Hopefully not, but this could be very useful in the future.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

MalcolmT

Post by MalcolmT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Less of a problem - at the moment.
My XE (180 d) 2016 showed 2800 miles DEF remaining.
I topped up with a 3.5 litre (fresh bought) from Halfords, and didn't overfill.
Then did about 800 miles (no problems)
The car is STILL showing 2800 miles DEF remaining
Does this mean I have a problem about to rear its ugly wotsit?