Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by PhilB » Sun May 10, 2020 11:52 am

Just merged this new topic with the existing one.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deacsleeds

Post by Deacsleeds » Sun May 10, 2020 12:07 pm

[quo[/quote]Thanks guys. How can i check my injector and is it easy to do?

Deacsleeds

Re: DEF incorrect quality issue

Post by Deacsleeds » Sun May 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:51 am
There's a whole bunch of threads on that very subject!

If you go down the official Jaguar warranty route, be very clear to the dealer that you expect them to find and repair the issue. Do not let them get away with saying that the wrong DEF has been put in, and charging you a fortune as some dealers have been known to do.

If it were me, I'd get under the car and inspect the DEF injector. The only tool you'll need once lifted would be a 4mm allen key.
Thanks so much. Is this easy to do or a difficult task? Any guidance to check / clean would be helpful

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Sun May 10, 2020 12:36 pm

rdcars on page 5 of this tread gives a basic write-up. Have a look on Youtube, there's a VW video on essentially the same system.

If you do get the injector off can you take a couple of pics to post up. I'd have done that, but I sold my diesel.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D

Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Wright24

Post by Wright24 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 am

Had the same dreaded issue come up on mine. 440 miles and counting for me. I had the low level notification pop up so I put 5L worth in almost straight away, a week and 600 miles later I now have a quality issue.

I’ve tried the injector clean but no joy for me. It’s simple enough to do, Jack up the car at the passenger side rear, take wheel and arch cover off and it’s easy to see the pipe to drain tank.

Replace all of that and I found it easier to axle stand the front and go under that way. The injector is pretty much just inside the furthest part of the splash guard for the engine (you don’t need to take the guard off). If you can’t see it then trace the exhaust pipe all the way along from the rear of the car, go past the NOX sensor, past the catalytic converter and you will see it shortly after. It’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be. There is a YouTube video which we have exactly the same one as which will help a lot.

Sadly mine had no crystallisation, so I’m going to plug it into a fault reader and see if I can clear it. I’ve got it booked in at Jaguar but considering how many people suffer with this I won’t be happy if they expect me to pay for a software update.

Bamm

Post by Bamm » Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 pm

I had the warning on as wel, drained flushed and refilled the tank.
Removed the ad blue injector (I did not took the feeder hose off) and cleaned the injector with hot water. And cleaned the exhaust intake :o with a vacuum cleaner and a screwdriver.
I drove the car for 50 km on the highway but the message is stil there.
Tomorrow to the garage a have them reset the fault, I hope that's it.

See attachment for the dirty intake and injector.

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5591.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

Bamm

Post by Bamm » Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Today to the garage, http://www.hartendorp.nl/merken/ They tried to reset several function's in the computer but the measage stil there and counting down. They were gone contact Jaguar to ask for assistance and will call later on the day.
I drove away and noticed that the message has changed from ad blue quality to ad blue injector quantity. And yes!!!!!!! after 20 minutes on the highway the message is gone!!!!!! :D

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Fri May 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Great news but keep us posted. That exhaust looked choked, I'm wondering if a particular journey profile causes that?
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D

Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Wright24

Post by Wright24 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am

That’s a great guide Bamm,

Luckily after I had done as suggested with the injector clean (not that I had much crystallisation) I put a diagnosis machine on it and cleared an error out (it didn’t say which one). Was only a cheap £20 one but seemed to clear something off. The error then changed to a dosing error rather than quality. I gave it a decent run for about 30 miles and towards the end of that run the warning had vanished.

Cancelled my JLR booking after a few days and it hasn’t returned since. Keeping an eye on it!

Bamm

Post by Bamm » Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am

It's a strange complain. It looks like there are more complain's but they are in some sort of order.
Main complain is;

#1 Quality AD Blue
But it seems that there is no sensor that measures the quality, it looks like the NOX sensor is measuring something and relates it to the quality of the AB Blue. (NOX values after injection)

#2 AD Blue injector quantity
This one comes up when you clear the quality Fault #1. The quality fault has a higher priority so you have to clear that one first.
I think this one comes up due to temp droppings, but why after the quality fault...... I think this is the major problem.

And then above all why do they come on after a refill with overfill occurrence? There is an ultrasonic level sensor installed and the waves need to bounce back from the top level of the fluid and this is not happening when overfilled, the the waves bounce from the tank.

If there is somebody who has more information please share so we can tackle this complain.

There is also a lot of information about this complain on some Land Rover forums (they use the same engine set up)

Oh and don't start poking in the injector nozzle use hot water to clean it