Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
jagxe91
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am
Location: County Down

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by jagxe91 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:08 pm

rdcars wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 pm
I recently had the dreaded Ad Blue quality warning and the count down running on my 2015 XE. This was not long after I had topped up the Ad Blue.
After doing some research on here I couldnt find any information for a fix on the the Ad Blue system, other than take the car to the dealer for a potentialy expensive repair and reset.

What I did find on here was a good Topix guide on how to drain the Ad Blue tank which was easier than I thought. It just involves removing the LHR wheel and wheel arch liner, and draining the system through the drain tube, before refilling with fresh Ad Blue.

While I had the car on axle stands I also removed the Ad Blue injector, (very quick job and only requires undoing one 4mm allen bolt) and was suprised how much crystilisation was on the injector and the exhaust hole was partially blocked with crystalised Ad Blue.

The crystalisation on the injector was removed using a spray bottle containing hot water, which disolved the crystalisation very quickly.
To unblock the hole on the exhaust, I simply used a screw to loosed up the Adblue while holding a hoover next to the exhaust hole to stop any Adblue residue falling into the exhaust.
Once reassembled the Adblue quality warning was still on, but at some point during the drive to work of about 25 miles the next day the Ad Blue quality warning went off.

This was over a month ago and 900 miles covered since, without the Ad Blue warning re-appearing.
Based on my experience, if you have this fault I would recommend checking the Ad Blue injector first - It takes longer to jack up the car and fit axle stands than it does to do the job.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem
Driving home yesterday in my 2016 XE R Sport 180 manual - "Incorrect DEF quality detected" then today the mileage countdown began. I read through these forums and many people with the same problem.

I wouldn't be confident enough to try the fix quoted above myself as I've zero mechanical experience. Took the car to local garage & they plugged in the computer, tried clearing faults etc but no joy - it's booked in with them on Friday to have a more in depth look and hopefully I can avoid a trip to a Jaguar dealer.

At the garage when going through the faults the warning message on the dash changed to "DEF dosing malfunction" - anyone have any experience with this particular warning message?
2016 Jaguar XE R Sport Black Pack, Manual - Diesel

Bamm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by Bamm » Mon May 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Same as my measage/problem.
Clean the ad blue injector and the exhaust Ad blue inlet and have a highway run for 20-30 min then the message wil disappear .

jagxe91
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am
Location: County Down

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by jagxe91 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:01 pm

jagxe91 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:08 pm
rdcars wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 pm
I recently had the dreaded Ad Blue quality warning and the count down running on my 2015 XE. This was not long after I had topped up the Ad Blue.
After doing some research on here I couldnt find any information for a fix on the the Ad Blue system, other than take the car to the dealer for a potentialy expensive repair and reset.

What I did find on here was a good Topix guide on how to drain the Ad Blue tank which was easier than I thought. It just involves removing the LHR wheel and wheel arch liner, and draining the system through the drain tube, before refilling with fresh Ad Blue.

While I had the car on axle stands I also removed the Ad Blue injector, (very quick job and only requires undoing one 4mm allen bolt) and was suprised how much crystilisation was on the injector and the exhaust hole was partially blocked with crystalised Ad Blue.

The crystalisation on the injector was removed using a spray bottle containing hot water, which disolved the crystalisation very quickly.
To unblock the hole on the exhaust, I simply used a screw to loosed up the Adblue while holding a hoover next to the exhaust hole to stop any Adblue residue falling into the exhaust.
Once reassembled the Adblue quality warning was still on, but at some point during the drive to work of about 25 miles the next day the Ad Blue quality warning went off.

This was over a month ago and 900 miles covered since, without the Ad Blue warning re-appearing.
Based on my experience, if you have this fault I would recommend checking the Ad Blue injector first - It takes longer to jack up the car and fit axle stands than it does to do the job.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem
Driving home yesterday in my 2016 XE R Sport 180 manual - "Incorrect DEF quality detected" then today the mileage countdown began. I read through these forums and many people with the same problem.

I wouldn't be confident enough to try the fix quoted above myself as I've zero mechanical experience. Took the car to local garage & they plugged in the computer, tried clearing faults etc but no joy - it's booked in with them on Friday to have a more in depth look and hopefully I can avoid a trip to a Jaguar dealer.

At the garage when going through the faults the warning message on the dash changed to "DEF dosing malfunction" - anyone have any experience with this particular warning message?
So just wanted to get opinion of anyone who has encountered this before.
Had the car today at my Jaguar dealer (Charles Hurst, Belfast). They diagnosed the problem as; the Adblue tank had been overfilled, the car had initiated a 'fault' state and therefore started the mileage countdown. I was charged £288 to have the tank drained, refilled and then tested & have fault cleared.
I advised the dealer today that I never got any initial prompt to fill the tank or any other messages regarding the DEF until I got the "Incorrect DEF quality detected" message.
Would I have a case for contacting Jaguar Complaints as this surely isn't an error on my part?
2016 Jaguar XE R Sport Black Pack, Manual - Diesel

RoJo
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm
Location: West coast of Scotland

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by RoJo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 pm

If the DEF tank was overfilled, who filled it and why?
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

jagxe91
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am
Location: County Down

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by jagxe91 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 pm
If the DEF tank was overfilled, who filled it and why?
Thanks for reply.

To give some context I bought the car in October last year and have drove roughly 3.5k miles. As I said before when I got the "Incorrect DEF quality detected" message I hadn't got any prompts or warnings regarding DEF before. I hadn't even thought about Adblue at all - this was my first ever warning message on the car. After getting this message and the countdown came on I decided, having consulted this forum to put 5 litres into the Adblue tank - to see if this would help remedy the warning as it could take some time to register etc. Considering the tank is meant to have a 16L capacity; in my opinion this could not have 'overfilled' the tank.

Would I have grounds for complaints?
2016 Jaguar XE R Sport Black Pack, Manual - Diesel

RoJo
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm
Location: West coast of Scotland

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by RoJo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 pm

The problem is that dosing seems to be a bit variable, some people report 1000 miles per litre, others 500. Who's to say the tank wasn't filled up by the supplying dealer?

Does your car have the ability to check tank level - service menu with engine off?
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

jagxe91
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am
Location: County Down

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by jagxe91 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 pm
The problem is that dosing seems to be a bit variable, some people report 1000 miles per litre, others 500. Who's to say the tank wasn't filled up by the supplying dealer?

Does your car have the ability to check tank level - service menu with engine off?
Thanks again Rob

No there is no way of checking the tank level in the menu - I looked hard enough for it 😂

Have you experienced this problem yourself?
2016 Jaguar XE R Sport Black Pack, Manual - Diesel

RoJo
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm
Location: West coast of Scotland

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by RoJo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 pm

From the online manual for 17MY cars, although yours might be earlier;

Screenshot_20200615-230226.jpg

The problem is that you had an error message, but the dealer seems to have found an issue and resolved it. Obviously the error message occurred before the tank was topped up so it couldn't have been the original cause. Getting a dealer to recognise that would be problematic at best.

I had no issues with my diesel in the year/13k miles I had it, but I was aware that problems could arise with the DEF system.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

BOBCDP
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Vale of Glamorgan

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by BOBCDP » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 pm

jagxe91 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Rob Wright wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 pm
If the DEF tank was overfilled, who filled it and why?
Thanks for reply.

To give some context I bought the car in October last year and have drove roughly 3.5k miles. As I said before when I got the "Incorrect DEF quality detected" message I hadn't got any prompts or warnings regarding DEF before. I hadn't even thought about Adblue at all - this was my first ever warning message on the car. After getting this message and the countdown came on I decided, having consulted this forum to put 5 litres into the Adblue tank - to see if this would help remedy the warning as it could take some time to register etc. Considering the tank is meant to have a 16L capacity; in my opinion this could not have 'overfilled' the tank.

Would I have grounds for complaints?

Unfortunately I think you have shot yourself in the foot. If you can't check the DEF level your car is 1000 miles per litre so probably early 16. The later 500 miles per litre cars have a dashboard check for DEF. The warning that came up was about DEF quality, almost certainly wrong as it's never a quality problem anyway, it's always something else in DEF dosing chain. However it didn't tell you it needed refilling and when you added 5 litres you probably either got very near or over the tank capacity, at which point the sensor in the tank detected an overfill and probably triggered another fault. When you took it to the dealer he read the fault codes and found it overfilled so providing a justification for charging you a hefty sum for sorting it.

You could try a complaint and explain exactly what you did and why but I fear it will be a case of "Sorry Sir......."
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Deleted User 732

Re: Ad Blue Incorrect Quality and 512 mile Warning

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 am

This year we are seeing a lot of DEF problems not seen for the past 5 years in this amount. I assume it is caused by two things, Covid 19 and less use and the mini heatwave we have been through. Early on dealers were told to stop filling with "top up" bottles and to use the correct Adblue dosing machine. There are many pieces of advice saying to put in "X" amount without any correct checks as to the level. The small bottles supplied by the dealers have a valve ( similar to the REDEX Adblue bottle " which cuts the flow at a certain back pressure. I have topped mine up via the Redex bottle method and never had any problems so far. I know many will be sick and tired of hearing about my method but I am now well into a second 10 litre tub that I decant into the Redex bottle. That is still in date and remains stored carefully in a fairly constant temp garage to suit the temp range. My driving is really not good for a diesel with many short journeys and yet I have not, so far, had any problems. Make of that what you will. Never overfilled and topped up once a month.

Post Reply