Jaguar XE Forum banner

Adblue, DEF bill for £971 Beware

24K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Kinte 
#1 ·
Had the warning sign to top up the Adblue. Could not get to main dealer so looked in handbook and saw that there is an option to top up. Took it to Halfords who did the top up (about 9 litres) but the warning light (showing incorrect quality DEF) remained (with countdown to car shut-off).
Taken to Stratstone in Nottingham and have been told that it needs the full system drain and new sensor which with the diagnostic etc comes to nearly £1k.
I suspect that it was the quantity of Adblue that impacted on the sensor rather then the quality as it is up to ISO standards specified.
What cheeses me off though is that there is no warning in the handbooks. I appreciate that it says top up with 1.89 litres but there is no indication that going above this level is dangerous. It must be a known issue (there is a lot about this on the forum) but the fact that Jaguar has not done anything to warn users is a disappointment and is brand-damaging. Certainly makes me feel that this will be my first and last Jag.

#27 ·
I've a FPace 3l, I had low Adblu warning and dosing errors. Jag wanted£150 just for the diagnostic before any work done. I had a top tip from the HGV community saying that they have similar problems with Adblu. The liquid crystallises as the liquid evaporates.
I went to a local garage who stripped the system down, found the Adblu injector blocked and the the feed pipe gunged up with Crystal debris. They cleaned and flushed. The fault code doesn't clear straight away, had to take the car for a run to reteach the sensors. On restart the error codes had gone. No issues since. Cost from local garage £99!!!
Remember Adblu crystallises- the associated Nox errors are just a symptom of the real problem.

#28 ·
chrisneil said:
Good news regarding the AD blue problem

The car was booked into Jaguar Derby for investigation and they diagnosed the nox sensor and the cat. The bade news was they quoted me £1500.00 to fix it BUT JLR customer service has confirmed that this will be done at no cost to me.

I have to say the issues I have had have put me off getting another Diesel Jaguar but I cannot fault JLR customer services.

Interestingly, having initially had the incorrect ad blue message this changed to an incorrect dosing message after about 250 miles then disappeared while I was on my way to Derby .

So, if you have this issue don't enter into a battle with the dealer, they just want to make sure they get paid, go straight to JLR customer services first.

It worked for me on my 2016 XE R Sport that is out of warranty with 54k on it
Hi Chris

Do you have any correspondence from the dealer as I am having the same issue and they are not playing ball.
Thanks
Tim

#29 ·
As part of my usual checks, oil, tyre pressures etc I have always topped up the Adblue and never let it run down much (max 1 litre) and in 6 years never had any Adblue problems so far (I bet I have spoken too soon). As for the problems one poster has had, many parts in the XE are European based and many are common to other so called, reliable German makes. The problem with a lot of faults is a bum mechanic with little or no knowledge of the car and how it works. Sadly there seems to be quite a few dealers out there who are there purely to sell cars and not have good mechanics to fix them when they go wrong. Out comes the JLR playstation and away we go. Ah it could be one of 60 different things so lets just replace parts. What is mentioned so many times in the manual, is part substitution is not the correct method of diagnosing faults.

#30 ·
Quote: AND most annoyingly grrrr locking wheel nut adapter failed with locking ring detached inside socket so could not get the wheel off the car last week to have new tyres fitted... JLR would not sell me a new socket and would only sell me a new set of locking wheel nuts at £110.00 plus vat. Then they wanted £60.00 per wheel to remove the old locking wheel nuts - I didn't swear but FRO was on the tip of ,my tongue. Again a common known fault and I was lucky enough to be put in touch with this great guy at www.thewheelnutman.co.uk/07702 043170; he is based in Barnsley and removed all 4 and sold me a new set with a better locking wheel nut socket for £110.00 -brilliant service and a thoroughly nice guy.

I've now removed all 4 locking wheel nuts from my XE and replaced tham with standard wheel nuts - which are freely (and cheaply) available on the aftermarket. I didn't fancy being stranded at the roadside with a puncture and an unremoveable wheel nut preventing the use of my spacesaver - which I was careful to specify and which has already been in use once.
Although locking wheel nuts were important when only a few cars had alloy wheels and they were sought after, I can't believe that, now virtually every car has them, they are likely to be at risk of being stolen.

#31 ·
chrisjp said:
Quote: AND most annoyingly grrrr locking wheel nut adapter failed with locking ring detached inside socket so could not get the wheel off the car last week to have new tyres fitted... JLR would not sell me a new socket and would only sell me a new set of locking wheel nuts at £110.00 plus vat. Then they wanted £60.00 per wheel to remove the old locking wheel nuts - I didn't swear but FRO was on the tip of ,my tongue. Again a common known fault and I was lucky enough to be put in touch with this great guy at www.thewheelnutman.co.uk/07702 043170; he is based in Barnsley and removed all 4 and sold me a new set with a better locking wheel nut socket for £110.00 -brilliant service and a thoroughly nice guy.

I've now removed all 4 locking wheel nuts from my XE and replaced tham with standard wheel nuts - which are freely (and cheaply) available on the aftermarket. I didn't fancy being stranded at the roadside with a puncture and an unremoveable wheel nut preventing the use of my spacesaver - which I was careful to specify and which has already been in use once.
Although locking wheel nuts were important when only a few cars had alloy wheels and they were sought after, I can't believe that, now virtually every car has them, they are likely to be at risk of being stolen.
The fact that some bloke can turn up and remove all four locking nuts with little effort tells you all you need to know about how much use they are.

#33 ·
chrisjp said:
you would be surprised what can be stolen these days :lol:

whole front of astra: bonnet, wings, bumper, overnight, while parked on the street...no damage to car!

#34 ·
#35 ·
Only last week I was able to help out an elderly relative who'd lost the key to their X-type nuts. I was able to match the pattern to a Ebay sellers and when it arrived, two minutes with a dremel ensured a perfect fit. Another relative was going to smash sockets on to try and release the nuts!!!

That reminds me, must buy a spare for mine.

#36 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Chris, are there any aftermarket ones that would suit? I am not sure if the seating is taper flat or curved but there must be someone out there that sell a decent cheaper set.
I can't actually remember now who supplied my wheel nuts, but just putting "Jaguar XE wheel nuts" into Google brings up lots of choices. The nuts have a small taper to locate accurately into the wheel and a larger captive washer that clamps the wheel tightly. They are available from an Amazon vendor, with a set of 5 (I don't know why it's not 4) costing £11.98.

#37 ·
1st thing I do on all our cars when we get them is bin the locking wheel nuts. No one nicks wheels these days, too easy to just take the full car. Or if you really want to go through the effort of taking the wheels then universal sockets are readily and easily available.
I've just recently replaced all my chrome nuts with black ones and mine were the flat washer type of nuts, chrome nuts on black wheels from factory really?

#38 ·
Hi everyone!
This is an old thread but l haven't had luck finding a solution to my problem, so thought l'd turn to you...
I bought my first Jag this Spring (2016 XE 2.0 Diesel) and have had a good time riding it. Two weeks ago a "DEF injection malfuction, start-up not possible after xxx km" warning appeared along with a yellow engine light. I topped the system with approx. 4 litres of ADBlue, with no effect. Because of my inexperience and the fact that l was on a two-week business trip, l didn't handle the matter immediately. Once the countdown was down to 50km, l fully topped the system with no effect.
Then, as l started heading home, l started calling all the possible Jaguar dealers, but none wanted to help... :rolleyes:
So l drove home, and now start-up isn't possible because the countdown has reached zero... I've read ODB's but my meter couldn't clear the codes... Now I have two questions:
1) Is there a way (like a secret button or a combination) for starting the car so l can drive to Jaguar maintenance?
2) If l manage to fix the problem (I'll start by checking and cleaning the DEF injector, then move forward), will the error disappear on its own or do l still have to get the car to maintenance in order to clear the codes?
Thanks for your help in advance (y) I'd be happy to give more info if it is required!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.