HELP .. Cold mornings = Loud Vibrations!

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Deacsleeds

HELP .. Cold mornings = Loud Vibrations!

Post by Deacsleeds » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:04 am

Hi All

Hoping someone can help?

Its now cold start weather with the (* on the temp gauge) and im now getting horrendous vibration, what i thought was the heat shield on my exhaust, but think its now possibly to do with the E-brake.

I have an auto 2.0 Rsports Diesel 65 plate.

As I reverse out of my drive or stop at the hill at the top of the road the car has an awful loud vibration sound which is very audible.

When I start driving and the car is warmed up its fine and there are no noises.

Afraid that when I go into Jaguar they will say no issue and try charge me the diagnostic fee (bearing in mind I have a video with the sound)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Wayne

Deleted User 732

Re: HELP .. Cold mornings = Loud Vibrations!

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Possibly the exhaust balance damper. It is a rubber cylinder shape with a bolt through it that can break.

s-l1600.jpg

Or the engine mounts which are a fairly common problem on earlier cars.

Jay

Re: HELP .. Cold mornings = Loud Vibrations!

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Could well be, I had one of those dampers come adrift. At first I thought it was the exhaust box banging against the heat shield, on closer inspection the damper rubber was loose on the bolt. Symptoms were a rattling/banging and noticeable vibrations at the exhaust tips on cold idle but also could hear it, albeit quieter, when stationary at lights and warm.
There are 2 on the back of the rear box, on mine the outboard one was loose. Replaced by dealer under warranty and fixed the noise.
If not that could be engine mounts or vac tubes as Vespa says.
If I held the exhaust tips down then the noise would stop.
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.