'Tinny' vibration from exhaust?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
AndyB

'Tinny' vibration from exhaust?

Post by AndyB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi guys,

I've only had the car a few months so I don't know if this has always been like it but I seem to get a sort of 'tinny/metallic' vibration under acceleration. Now, I only seem to notice it if I'm in a tunnel or next to a wall or something and I hear the echo come back so it's not something that I can hear all of the time and it's hard to get a video but I will keep trying.

I will admit that this is the first big engined car that I've owned so I might be overthinking it but it's one of those noises now that when I'm in the right environment I cannot unhear it! Grateful for any advice that someone might be able to give!
2016 XE-S in Ultimate Black with 20" Propeller Alloys

BruceTheQuail

Re: 'Tinny' vibration from exhaust?

Post by BruceTheQuail » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm

I had a car years ago that did that (a Daewoo Leganza, what an awful car to drive!). It was a loose heat shield. You only heard it when the car warmed up, and when you were near something to reflect the sound.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Ah that would be a great place to start thank you! The only way that I can describe it at the moment is something being a bit loose and vibrating when accelerating so that's a good place to start looking

MartE

Post by MartE » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Is it something you only hear when inside the car or can you also hear it when outside, if someone else revs the engine?
New to me MY17 20t R-Sport Polaris/Fuji White, Black gloss wheels, privacy glass and black bits.

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24 am

I had the door open and was reving it and I could hear it, haven’t tried it with someone else reving it though so will try that tomorrow

mdem

Post by mdem » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am

If you tap the side of the bumper you will hear it rattle. I have the same thing but it doesn’t vibrate any other time except when washing around that spot. I had the dealer look at it and they said it was a loose heat shield. After they dealt with it it was gone but a few weeks later it came back. I haven’t bothered again since it only happens when I touch that part of the car.
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:57 am

mdem wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am
If you tap the side of the bumper you will hear it rattle. I have the same thing but it doesn’t vibrate any other time except when washing around that spot. I had the dealer look at it and they said it was a loose heat shield. After they dealt with it it was gone but a few weeks later it came back. I haven’t bothered again since it only happens when I touch that part of the car.
Same with mine and I hear it when I close the boot, put it down to the chrome exhaust finishers rattling but could be something else I suppose.... where is the heatshield?
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

mdem

Post by mdem » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 am

On the S there is one on either side above and to the side of each of the mufflers.
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:29 pm

When I first got my car there was a rattle and the adblue tank was checked and that was OK so the techy probed furthur and found a loose heat shield on the exhaust. Once tightened up it has been fine since.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:15 pm

So I managed to get a brief video of the rattle, apologies that they're short but I was doing this in a motorway service station so I was getting a couple of funny looks :lol: I've got the car being looked at tomorrow but from what people are saying on here it sounds like it might be the heat shield! I will update once I know some more :)