New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Vale of Glamorgan

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by BOBCDP » Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Indianajons wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm
BOBCDP wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm
A few days ago the engine management amber light came on. The car is running perfectly with no indication of a problem other than the light being on. Today I took it in to my local garage and was surprised to be told that when they plugged in their computer, it is indicating poor quality DEF. I have had none of the usual dashboard messages about quality which I always thought was the only indication of a DEF problem. I didn't know it could just bring on the engine management light. They told me they have had a few XE's in with the same problem and a software update at the main dealer has cured them all. The fault code has been reset and the light is now off so I will wait and see if it re-occurs. If it does, I shall be contacting Jaguar and requesting that the software update is done at no cost as this is a well know ongoing problem with numerous cars.
I smell bullcrap from a dealer desperate for some income....
Oh Ye of little faith!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the local Stratstone is completely closed anyway, but what I intend to do if the light comes back on (and I have a sneaking suspicion it might :cry: :cry: :cry: ) is to contact Jaguar direct and very politely suggest they instruct the dealer to sort it out. If you don't ask you don't get!!

I once had an all singing, all dancing Panasonic microwave oven when they first came out with grilles etc. 15 years later, the inside of it was apparently nackered and about £250 to fix so I wrote to Panasonic pointing out how my whole house was full of their wonderful products and was therefore amazed that this one had thrown a wobller. They fixed it for nothing. Not so hopeful about Jaguar though...but I can try :) :) :)
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats.
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Indianajons
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: Peak District, UK

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Indianajons » Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm
Indianajons wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm
BOBCDP wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm
A few days ago the engine management amber light came on. The car is running perfectly with no indication of a problem other than the light being on. Today I took it in to my local garage and was surprised to be told that when they plugged in their computer, it is indicating poor quality DEF. I have had none of the usual dashboard messages about quality which I always thought was the only indication of a DEF problem. I didn't know it could just bring on the engine management light. They told me they have had a few XE's in with the same problem and a software update at the main dealer has cured them all. The fault code has been reset and the light is now off so I will wait and see if it re-occurs. If it does, I shall be contacting Jaguar and requesting that the software update is done at no cost as this is a well know ongoing problem with numerous cars.
I smell bullcrap from a dealer desperate for some income....
Oh Ye of little faith!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the local Stratstone is completely closed anyway, but what I intend to do if the light comes back on (and I have a sneaking suspicion it might :cry: :cry: :cry: ) is to contact Jaguar direct and very politely suggest they instruct the dealer to sort it out. If you don't ask you don't get!!

I once had an all singing, all dancing Panasonic microwave oven when they first came out with grilles etc. 15 years later, the inside of it was apparently nackered and about £250 to fix so I wrote to Panasonic pointing out how my whole house was full of their wonderful products and was therefore amazed that this one had thrown a wobller. They fixed it for nothing. Not so hopeful about Jaguar though...but I can try :) :) :)
When you said you took it to your local garage I thought you meant Jag dealer but I’m sure your local independent garage has no axe to grind :oops: :oops:
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Deleted User 732

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm

There seems to be a lot of DEF problems getting reported on here at present in various posts. Is this because of this Covid 19 restrictions on driving and the current hot weather? I am going shopping tomorrow and then a blast up the M6-M56-M57-M62 and then (to Barnard Castle) home. That will clear the transmogrifier and the urine dispenser. :lol: :lol: My Jag dealer is open for service, MOT's and repairs by appointment.

BOBCDP
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Vale of Glamorgan

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by BOBCDP » Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Indianajons wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm
When you said you took it to your local garage I thought you meant Jag dealer but I’m sure your local independent garage has no axe to grind :oops: :oops:

Ah yes I should have made it plain that I had not visited the great silver square palace. This was my my local Jaguar garage where the receptionist wears overalls and they don't charge you for telling you what the computer says. :) :)

Vespa wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm
There seems to be a lot of DEF problems getting reported on here at present in various posts. Is this because of this Covid 19 restrictions on driving and the current hot weather? I am going shopping tomorrow and then a blast up the M6-M56-M57-M62 and then (to Barnard Castle) home. That will clear the transmogrifier and the urine dispenser. :lol: :lol: My Jag dealer is open for service, MOT's and repairs by appointment.

My thoughts exactly. Although the car had not been anywhere from mid March until last week, it had been run for about 20 minutes a week and driven up and down our lane just to move everything. I drove it about 20 miles last week and it was fine. The light only came on on Monday when I went out.

I think your proposed trip is an excellent idea Vespa. Please make sure you can see ok and take a 4 year old with you as detailed under the new Cummings and Goings Law. I would do the same with maybe a trip to Snowdon, but I'm afraid we are still not allowed out in Wales, so no chance to clear out my transmogrifier. :lol: :lol:
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats.
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Deleted User 732

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm

I am taking my cat. I am sure I will have a good hair cut when I arrive home. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomb
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Tomb » Thu May 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Just had a call from the dealer regarding my xe.

Seems they are going to change the catalytic converter as they think that's the problem....

Have to admit they weren't 100% convincing.

Is a faulty cat (on a cat) common?

Tomb
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Tomb » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Got the car back today.

New catalytic converter fitted & road tested.


I had only driven 12 miles on my way home before the engine management light came on again.

:shock:

Back again to the dealer on Monday methinks....

.

JAGDH
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by JAGDH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Tomb wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 pm
Got the car back today.

New catalytic converter fitted & road tested.


I had only driven 12 miles on my way home before the engine management light came on again.

:shock:

Back again to the dealer on Monday methinks....

.
At least if they’ve done it under the approved used warranty you’ve now got a brand new cat at no cost to yourself.

With all the issues coming up on here at the moment (I appreciate you only hear the bad on a forum) I’m kind of wondering if I regret not buying approved used instead of from an independent (I went for independent because they had the car I wanted, but there’s obviously benefits to holding out for approved used if it comes with 12 months warranty)
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Tomb
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by Tomb » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 pm

To be fair to the garage they have actually offered to extend the approved used warranty for an extra 12 months for no charge making it a 24 month approved used warranty.

The dilemma for me is that I'm kind of losing faith in the car (not the dealer as I do think they are trying their best).

Changing the catalytic converter doesn't appear to have solved the problem & if they cant pinpoint the cause of the EML lighting up then maybe I should cut & run.

Not what I want to do but I guess I must have been lucky with previous cars (mainly Fords & Vauxhalls) & never had a problem like this. My 1st venture into the premium end of the market & the bleeding thing wont work properly.

Then again if this pattern of part replacements continues...by Christmas I'll have a completely new engine ;)

Of course if I do reject the car I'm back to having to find another motor... I'm not sure I can be bothered...... I might just commandeer my daughters wee Corsa!

JAGDH
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: New (Used) xe from dealer - Engine Management Light..

Post by JAGDH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:21 pm

I get that, I’ve had BMWs in the past and tbh I don’t think other cars in this range are all that better.

It almost feels like the most risky option buying a 4-5 year old luxury car vs almost any other car purchase you could go for.....old banger you don’t care if something does go work, older luxury car say 8 years old are much cheaper, still likely to have issues.

Any car could have major issues at any point in its lifetime, but if it happens to a £13-£15K car (potentially out of warranty) you’re going to feel it way more than on a £7.5K older luxury car.

Ironically the more expensive cars are the most complex, use chains rather than belts, all adds up to potential issues it seems.

If you can get another 12 months on the warranty you could always keep the car a couple years, fairly risk free and then sell?
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Post Reply