Reversing Noise / rumble / vibration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Nick900

Reversing Noise / rumble / vibration

Post by Nick900 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Everyone, I have a 2016 180 R sport with 21K. I have quite a steep drive that I normally reverse off. I have noticed there is a vibration, almost a rumble coming from the front of the car when selecting reverse? On flat ground it is not present but if you reverse slightly quicker the noise and vibration returns. It almost feels like something is clipping the wheel or prop shaft. Whist it only occurs in reverse it doesn't feel like a gearbox issue. I have noticed the slightly of feeling through the steering wheel when starting a drive and just coming to a full stop when breaking. I appreciate this is pretty non descriptive but having driven for 30 years its not something I have experienced before.

It does not feel like a tinny noise you would associate with loose heat shield on an exhaust. Not quite as loud as a rumble from a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Definitely feels like a rumble and vibration and most definitely coming from the front. I have jacked the car and spun both wheels but nothing seems apparent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

Vespa

Re: Reversing Noise / rumble / vibration

Post by Vespa » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 pm

A long shot here, I wonder if it's the progress control system working? https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docume ... c/G1763075
Possibly applying the brakes in pulses.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Could be but it hasn't done it bofore in 3K of ownership. I am starting to wonder if it is a wheel bearing. The starter motor was replaced last month at 22k miles so wouldn't surprise me!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Can you jack up each wheel and check for a rumble noise and any movement? Bearings are quite a distinctive noise when worn. I did one on an old Wolseley and a rear on my MG Maestro. The trouble with today's cars is that the whole hub usually has to be replaced, which is ridiculous.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Took it to a large chain tyre and exhaust place. They placed on their vibrating plate machine. Nothing found jacked up the rear and ran in reversing. Definitely not gearbox or drive system. Jacking up the front and spinning both wheels Tech felt there could have been the slightest noise from the NS but on us both listening could hear nothing. He then said when spinning the wheels [front] in the air the NS wheel had less resistance which he felt could be a sign of the wheel bearing starting to fail?

I have had many a wheel bearing fail. I will try it on the motorway to load up each side to see if I can hear it going forwards.

I am not convinced. The noise on repeating it several times does feel rotational. It cannot be heard outside the car only inside. The confusion grows!

Thanks

Nick

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Probably exhaust or engine mount vibration
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Without hearing it, could it be a sticking front pad? Try pressing the brake lightly as it is reversing and see if it either goes or gets noisier. Bit of a wild card but you never know.

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Applying the brakes does not seem to affect it. Engine Mounts seem just fine as does the exhaust. There is a faint feeling at v low speed normally coming to a stop when the wheel is turned slightly which feels like a failing CV joint, is how I would best describe it. Its almost imperceptible and as it doesn't have CV joints on the front I am guessing its not that.

Any ideas anyone.

Bad experience with nearest JLG I do not want to take it there.

Thanks

Nick

Nick900

Post by Nick900 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Having watched some other topics on vibration and watched a YouTube video where another forum member had a similar thought I am now thinking engine mounts?

I am becoming very tired of the XE in 3 months of ownership its had:

New battery completely understandable

New starter motor at 21K

and now quite possibly engine mounts.

My weekend car is a Brera S seems more reliable!

Nick

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Nick900 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm
Having watched some other topics on vibration and watched a YouTube video where another forum member had a similar thought I am now thinking engine mounts?

I am becoming very tired of the XE in 3 months of ownership its had:

New battery completely understandable

New starter motor at 21K

and now quite possibly engine mounts.

My weekend car is a Brera S seems more reliable!

Nick
Seems unlikely that the engine mounts would only be an issue when on an angle though? Also not sure how common the engine mount issue really is so should be fairly unlikely. From what I’ve seen online the engine mount noise and vibration isn’t subtle at all and would lead to the whole car shaking fairly violently.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)