Does petrol go bad?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Byrus

Does petrol go bad?

Post by Byrus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi. I filled my XE up right before our stay at home order in March. I work from home now so no longer drive to work. Hence, I hardly use my XE at all. I do take it out once week for a quick spin so it's just not sitting there all the time. However, I still have at least 3/4 of tank in the car if not more. Is this a major problem? At this rate she'll have the same tank of gas in her for a year! Thanks for the thoughts.
2017 XE 35t Prestige. Ultimate Black, Vision Package, Technology Package and Comfort and Convenience Package.

Hillmangt

Re: Does petrol go bad?

Post by Hillmangt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Petrol does age and go off but not sure how long it takes. You should be ok.
It is advised to keep your fuel tank full when the vehicle is not in use to avoid condensation in the tank which can lead to other problems. I top mine up regularly at the moment as it is used fairly infrequently as I use my other car for work.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015. Every extra available except sunroof I believe.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm

It does go off but don't know how long it takes, my brothers motorbike had been stood a couple of years and when started it ran like a bag of nails, changed fuel and all ok.
When I stand my bike over winter I always add a little fuel stabiliser to keep it fresh.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:00 pm

In your situation, I'd be tempted to brim the tank with super unleaded. My Xe doesn't get a huge amount of regular use, so I always use the best fuel available.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:14 pm

There are also different winter and summer grade fuels.
Refineries put more butane in petrol in the winter. Butane is cheap, so it’s more advantageous to get as much into petrol as possible. In the summer less is added because it evaporates readily with the heat. It’s tested by putting a sample in a sealed container & warming to 37.8c, the pressure generated is recorded as Reid vapour pressure. The amount if butane is controlled in a distillation column. Basically the hotter you heat the base of the tower the less of the lighter butane will be left, thus reducing your RVP, but increasing your running costs. Refineries will have various sources of petrol from with differing octane & RVP, they blend it all together to get the required specification.
The following is an extract from a riveting read called UK Statutory Instrument 1994 No 2295 - The Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1994. It details when winter and summer fuels can be sold.
Restrictions with respect to the sale of motor fuel

7.—(1) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations, no person shall, during a period beginning on 1st September in any year and ending on 31st May in the following year, sell by retail at a filling station petrol which—

(a)does not comply with the winter leaded petrol requirement, the intermediate leaded petrol requirement, the winter unleaded petrol requirement or the winter super unleaded petrol requirement; and

(b)is for use within the United Kingdom.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to the sale of petrol which complies with—

(a)the summer leaded petrol requirement; or

(b)the summer unleaded petrol requirement or the summer super unleaded petrol requirement,

at a filling station to which, at the time of the sale, less than three deliveries of petrol have been made since 20th July next before the beginning of the period referred to in paragraph (1).

(3) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations, no person shall, during a period beginning on 1st June and ending on 31st August in any year, sell by retail at a filling station petrol which—

(a)does not comply with the summer leaded petrol requirement, the summer unleaded petrol requirement or the summer super unleaded petrol requirement; and

(4) Paragraph (3) does not apply to the sale of petrol which complies with—

(a)the winter leaded petrol requirement or the intermediate leaded petrol requirement; or

(b)the winter unleaded petrol requirement or the winter super unleaded petrol requirement,

at a filling station to which, at the time of the sale, less than three deliveries of petrol have been made since 15th April next before the beginning of the period referred to in paragraph (3).

(5) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations, no person shall, during a period beginning on 22nd October in any year and ending on 15th March in the following year, sell by retail at a filling station diesel fuel which—

(a)does not comply with the winter diesel fuel requirement; and

(6) Paragraph (5) does not apply to the sale of diesel fuel which complies with the summer diesel fuel requirement at a filling station to which, at the time of the sale, less than three deliveries of diesel fuel have been made since 9th September next before the beginning of the period referred to in paragraph (5).
Another potential problem is moisture mixing with fuel containing ethanol. It can make fuel quite corrosive resulting in damage to pumps and other components.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:34 pm

I'd just go for a really long drive, just what the Jag likes. Get the petrol used up. Then just top up a small amount when required leaving the fuel fresh.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

lexie

Post by lexie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Similar to a previous answer. I used to have motorbikes and after 6 months laid up the petrol would have gone off a bit and they would run pretty rough. Although I expect modern fuel injection systems adjust better nowadays.

You'll know if the fuel is a problem as it'll crank a bit more to start and be a bit hesitant. Some fresh fuel mixed in will cure it anyway. I did wonder if the super unleaded having more ethanol (to make higher octane) is more prone to absorbing moisture than ordinary unleaded when unused.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Kaikoura wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:14 pm

The following is an extract from a riveting read called UK Statutory Instrument 1994 No 2295 - The Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1994. It details when winter and summer fuels can be sold.
Legal rubbish! wrote:
Thank you....

My brain hurts from reading that, and I'm reasonably used to reading legal bovine waste from my days at work! :lol:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Gojira wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm
Kaikoura wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Legal rubbish! wrote:
Thank you....

My brain hurts from reading that, and I'm reasonably used to reading legal bovine waste from my days at work! :lol:

There will be a test later :lol:
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:05 am

Hello, new here, but saw this post. ALL fuels will deteriorate after time and will form bugs in the fuel which will eventually cause blocked fuel filters. This is why aviation fuel is checked regularly as it can be catastrophic in any aircraft. Biocides can be added to reduce the bugs but I doubt that a few months ageing in a petrol tank will cause too much of a problem. I suggest driving the car and then adding some new fuel to it as that will be a better option to trying to find biocides.
R Sport 180D 2015