Jaguar XE Forum banner

Gear Selector stuck in down position in Drive

12K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Coops 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 XE with 40k miles - My gear selector is stuck in the down position in drive, so will not start . I have, yesterday put a brand new battery in, but that hasn't improved things. Can anybody advise a fix please.
Many thanks. Coops

#3 ·
This is to unlock the gearbox for transportation to a dealer,
If a vehicle requires recovery or transportation, the Emergency Park Release (EPR) mechanism is used to manually disengage the park lock and engage the transmission in neutral.

The EPR mechanism consists of an operating lever that is connected by a cable to a lever. The lever is attached to the transmission selector shaft and secured with a nut.

The operating lever is located in the engine compartment, and is secured to:

A bracket on the intake manifold on Ingenium I4 2.0L Diesel and GTDi 2.0L Petrol engines.
A bracket attached to the left side of the supercharger on V6 3.0L Petrol engines.

The EPR operating lever, when moved to the park lock release position (transmission neutral), is latched in position by a locking clip which is part of the EPR lever assembly. The clip holds the operating lever and the transmission park lock in the disengaged, neutral position.

To disengage the park lock:

Ensure the vehicle is secured via the footbrake (two people required) or wheel chocks.
Open the hood and remove the engine cover.
Pull the EPR operating lever upwards and ensure it locks in the vertical position. A flashing 'N' symbol will appear on the information and message center to signify that the EPR is activated.

To re-engage the park lock:

Release the latch using a small flat blade screwdriver or similar instrument and lower the EPR operating lever to the horizontal position. DO NOT force the operating lever to the closed position as this will result in damage to the system. Once the latch is released, the transmission park pawl will engage. The information and message center display will display a 'P' symbol to show that the transmission is returned to park.
Replace the engine cover and close the hood.
Remove wheel chocks if used and ensure vehicle is held on brakes until park lock is engaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.