Thoughts on awful sat nav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP

Re: Thoughts on awful sat nav

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 pm

irishtaff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 am
Great stuff!! I haven't noticed the trains bit but yes it does seem to know about tunnels. The worse bottleneck in Wales is the infamous Brynglas Tunnels in Newport and the latest (ish) version actually shows you a picture of a tunnel as you drive through. This also happens going through the Gibralter Tunnels at Monmouth

Thanks for that Bob, unfortunately I am old enough to remember watching the M4 and Brynglas tunnel being constructed...great view from the Ridgeway !

You are not alone :) :)

I also remember being on a course in Scotland I think it was August 1964. In those days the M6 finished at Preston and you drove over Shap to get there.
One Sunday we drove under the Forth Rail Bridge and stopped at a local pub and marvelled at the sight of the Forth Road Bridge which was due to open soon after. In those days Scotland was dry on Sundays but if you were a bona fide traveller you could get a drink in a pub. Trouble was you couldn't get to bar for locals :D :D :D

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:05 pm

147daytona wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 am
Indianajons wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm
From the manual:

TO SET A SELECTED DESTINATION

Once a destination has been selected, there are four options:

Yes: Select to accept the selected destination and start guidance.
Options: When calculating a route, various options can be selected.

Before accepting the requested route, touch Options to view the following list of options:

Fast.
Short.
Economical.
Route Alternative.
Round Trip.
Select the required option from the list.
Avoid: When calculating a route, a road type to avoid can be set.

Before accepting the requested route, touch Avoid to view a list of options to avoid. Select the required option from the list.
Save: When calculating a route, the destination can be saved as a favourite.

Before accepting the requested route, touch Save to save the route to Favourites.
On my Pro system, I don't have the option to choose between Fast, Short or Economical. Am I missing something?
Sorry, don't have pro so can't comment but on standard version you only need to do it once and it remembers for all future routes. It's not in the satnav settings, it's an option when the route has calculated before touching yes to show the map
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

richmond

Post by richmond » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Today I thought that I would give it one last chance on a simple route from Solihull to a well established address in Manchester. I put in the post code and it found the wrong address, so I put in the full address and it claimed to have found it. The route looked simple, M42-M6-A556-M56. All went well until we left the M6. Somewhere on the A566 I turned onto a new dual-carriageway (M566?) which isn't in my satnav's mapping. It threw a complete wobbler as my car appeared to be moving over open countryside and the display froze and the voice kept repeating 'Route recalculation'. After a while the voice guidance started again and seemed to be right as we drove down the M56, although it did take us off at one junction and straight back on again!. In the end it took us to a place about a mile and a half from our real destination and swore we were there. We were lost as the screen mapping had never recovered and was still frozen somewhere near Altrincham.
Fortunately I had my Tomtom in the car and it found the address from the post code and took us straight there. Never again.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Post by 165237 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I bought my car in July 16 and ever since have tried to raise the sat nav issue with Jaguar. I finally thought I had got somewhere when I sent an article to Auto Express which subsequently initiated a response from JLR Customer Service. Laura the Customer Service person assigned to my case could not have been more helpful and considerate. Keeping in contact and letting me know about the latest updates and organising them with my local Jaguar dealer.

So I have had the latest update a few weeks ago but I am afraid it still wants to send me up single track roads so frequently used they have grass growing in the middle of them. I think after talking to Laura, the position is now that what I have is as good as it is going to get. Expect no more, no less that is all of us with the standard Sat Nav in XEs and probably F Paces are going to get. I note on the proposed E-Pace they are having a different infotainment system. I think I will ask for a test drive just to see how that performs when they eventually hit the dealerships? As for the XE I now and have had since my initial experiences with the sat nav posted earlier on the forum, a paper map and my mobile phone with Google maps in the car. They call this progress????

irishtaff

Post by irishtaff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Richmond commented on travelling over fields.
Same here. Last week I drove to Galway via a new motorway....ignoring the suggested route.
30 km of off-road travel with no link to my destination .
I didn't expect updates so soon but am not optimistic of ever seeing an update
The nav is an option for the Prestige here cost me E1000 amd were I buying today would save this .
..but this forum was quite new in Q2 2015.
At least new buyers are aware today thanks to xeforums.
Prestige 2.0D MY16 180 IRR, Manual, Light Oyster,Sunroof, !8" Matrix silver wheels, Nav, Lighting Pack, Towbar, Rev assist, Spare wheel, Folding mirrors, and rear seats, Meridian Audio. (+ Skoda exhaust trim )

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Couldn’t understand criticism of the satnav, as mine works fine, until I had an XF loan car with the Pro system and realised how much worse it is. Not at all user friendly and impossible to set up the same as the standard system.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”