Lost tracks on USB?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Domfow

Lost tracks on USB?

Post by Domfow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am

Like many on here, I have a large CD collection. Therefore on getting my XE late last year I downloaded a number of albums onto a quality USB stick.
Now I go to my albums list and list tracks standard ICT system:
1. Crowded House Greatest hits - List Empty (all tracks disappeared :o )
2. The Very Best of Supertramp - list 9 tracks ending in 'Dreamer' or list 15 tracks ending in 'Cannonball' (pot luck :o )

At the weekend in the car, I was telling my wife that the new Amazon Christmas Ad uses the Supertramp track 'Give a Little bit', to prove it I went to the album, the list ended at 'Dreamer' (wife thinks i'm dreaming :D ), I got her to remove USB stick reinsert USB stick and hey presto track 13 'Give a little bit' is present and I play and save face, today back to 9 tracks.

Anybody else had this loss of tracks, some albums are totally present. Looks like a new USB stick and a weekend downloading again, unless anybody knows if it is a known problem on the ICT, before any one asks, the tracks are still present when I put USB stick in my PC.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

147daytona

Re: Lost tracks on USB?

Post by 147daytona » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

Is it a USB 3 you're using, I did have problems when using a USB 2 but everything OK since using a 3.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I've taken the USP stick and scanned the offending album folders and I now find that the two albums I mentioned earlier are now corrupted with system files some with time stamp 2032, now I can't wait 15 years to see what's in them, but they are totally non standard system format, with pure symbols for file names?.
The USP stick has not been out the car since I loaded the albums last year.

Questions
1. when it went in for service did they upgrade the infotainment system and as such corrupt these files?
2. Has the car been patched remotely?

Whatever be aware at service to remove any usp stick, it might get a flash over from any update the infotainment system requires.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am

Well at the weekend, I switched my car on and the USB played 'Elgar' on start up, interesting as the previous night the last Track played was ' Careless Whisper' from George Michael's Greatest Hits, don't remember Elgar recording 'Careless Whisper'? :lol: . I knew prior to George Michael I had been listening to Elgar, I went to my albums list, George Michael's Greatest Hits was present, but when I went to the track list, it said 'List Empty'. I removed the USB, reinserted still no George Michael. Took the USB to my laptap and sure enough the album was present, I decided to delete it and I then copied it again from my laptop onto the USB stick. Back in the car put USB stick on and sure enough George Michael's Greatest Hits was present and the track list. Now I have to conclude that when switching off the car, a spike is going to the USB stick and killing which ever album is presently playing. I have so far lost 3 albums and had to restore them. Interesting the infotainment memory remembered I was playing Elgar before George Michael when I started the car up the following morning.

douglasb

Post by douglasb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm new to the XE (got it in Sept but had an XF before) and have just experienced what sounds like the same thing.

I have a folder on my PC with all the music on the USB so I add and delete things to/from this and when I add a few CDs to this I tend to do a complete erase/reload rather than just adding a new folder to the USB.

I was sure that I'd added a CD in a new folder to the USB but when I browsed the USB in the car I couldn't find it.

I then added some more CDs and did another erase/reload (for information, the top level folders are called things like Albums, Compilations, Comedy, Classical, Greatest Hits, Sixties, Seventies, Eighties, etc.). Today I looked for some CDs that I knew I had definitely uploaded and updated but they weren't there. I also looked in some folders and got the "nothing to see here" message.

I removed and reinserted the USB stick and found that some folders that were previously visible had disappeared (eg Greatest Hits was no longer there) but others that had appeared to be empty previously had contents and the CD that I had originally been looking for was now showing.

As has been said, when I look at the USB on my PC everything seems to be there. There is also no obvious pattern to what is missing. I have also tried removing and reinserting the USB both with the car running and with the ignition off and I can't discern any pattern to what causes it to re-read the contents of the USB.

I'm frustrated!
MY 18 XE Prestige 250t AWD, Loire Blue, Light Oyster leather, panoramic roof, 10 way seats, Meridian 380W, mirror pack, parking pack, cold climate pack, illuminated treadplates.

douglasb

Post by douglasb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

This is getting even more frustrating! I've tried quite a few ideas but am getting nowhere.

I had been using a 64GB USB stick and this seemed fine. The recent load of CDs that I added meant that I needed a 128GB memory stick and this is where the problems started. I copied all the folders to the memory stick but could only see five folders (of the 12 that there should be). Everything appears correct when I look at the memory stick on my PC.

Here's what I have then done -

Tried to get the car to re-read the USB. I can't work out how to do this reliably as removing and reinserting it with the ignition on doesn't make any difference and neither does starting the car without the USB inserted and then inserting it.

Reformatted the USB. As I was using Windows 10 the options were NTFS or exFAT. I went for exFAT, reloaded all the files - no differece.

Got a 128GB SSD and USB3 caddy. Formatted as exFAT. Copies all files over. Exactly the same (same folders show as available each time).

Tried formatting the USB stick as NTFS. Copied all files over. Exactly the same result.

Found a FAT32 formatting tool so used this on the SSD. Copied the files over. Same result.

Took the original 64GB USB stck and inserted this. This would now only read the same five folders!

I've looked at a few subfolders and it seems hit or miss whether they have the expected contents or the "no files found" message.

I'm now copying the folders to the 128GB stick in a different order so see if a different set of folders becomes available.
MY 18 XE Prestige 250t AWD, Loire Blue, Light Oyster leather, panoramic roof, 10 way seats, Meridian 380W, mirror pack, parking pack, cold climate pack, illuminated treadplates.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm

How full is the USB?

I would try with a 32Gb USB to see if the problem still exists. If not the try a 64Gb. It may be an indexing issue if you have more than a certain number of tracks? I'm guessing here mind you. I use an old iPod Classic as a store for my music, it's about 60% full but seems to work OK. Not tried a USB stick though.

douglasb

Post by douglasb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 pm

The 64GB drive had around 58GB taken up and the 128GB drive(s) have around 80GB. I might also be thinking along the "how full" lines if the 64GB drive hadn't worked correctly when I first used it. It also worked with no problems in my previous XF. "Something" seems to have happened since using the 128GB drives that has caused the car to only read the same folders on each USB drive (and whether or not a folder will have any readable contents is unpredictable)..

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I think 64GB USB drive is the max allowed if memory serves me right, i tried a 128 and it wouldn't read it at all. mine is a MY17 with ICTPro.
Bob Mc.
Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, and a selection of addons. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3470

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm

@boc_mcn: the portable media connections section of the Owners Handbook says that USB mass storage devices, e.g., a memory stick must use FAT or FAT32. I could find no reference to 64GB being the maximum allowed though. Do you recall where you saw that?

@douglasb: ExFAT does not seem to be compatible, according to the Handbook at least. The USB has to be FAT or FAT32.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”