Boot 12 Volt Socket

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Post Reply
User avatar
j3bnl
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am
Location: Forfar, Scotland

Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by j3bnl » Wed May 02, 2018 7:15 am

My XE doesn’t have the boot 12v socket unfortunately so I was looking for possible solutions so I can use my electric cooler. I don’t want/need anything permanent so wondered if anyone had managed to run a 12v extension to the boot under the rear seats?
This type of cable I already have:-

E1AAA8AB-71B9-4AA3-983E-8E4DDD8C5F6D.jpeg

Yes you’ve guessed I don’t have the folding rear seats either😭.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel


User avatar
XES Owner
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:50 am
Location: East Anglia

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by XES Owner » Mon May 14, 2018 12:37 am

I don't see why that cable wouldn't work for you. There is room under the seat for the cable but I think you may have a problem feeding the plug/socket under the seat without removing it.
I installed a similar permanent system in my Volvo but I connected it directly to the battery as the vehicle factory fitted 12v socket was not live unless the ignition was on
I think you'll find that the Jaguar 12v sockets are not powered until the ignition is on, so using the cable will mean your electric cooler will be off when the ignition is off.


User avatar
Bazzamf
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by Bazzamf » Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 pm

The battery is in the boot so it would be relatively easy to install a socket from this, I would have thought. To be safe you will need to fit the correct sized fuse in the feed.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black


User avatar
j3bnl
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am
Location: Forfar, Scotland

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by j3bnl » Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 am

XES Owner wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:37 am
I don't see why that cable wouldn't work for you. There is room under the seat for the cable but I think you may have a problem feeding the plug/socket under the seat without removing it.
I installed a similar permanent system in my Volvo but I connected it directly to the battery as the vehicle factory fitted 12v socket was not live unless the ignition was on
I think you'll find that the Jaguar 12v sockets are not powered until the ignition is on, so using the cable will mean your electric cooler will be off when the ignition is off.
Thanks for the response.
I assume that the rear bench is like most other cars will lift up easily enough so that’s my next job to have a look at exactly what room is under there as you may well be right in regards to the plug end of the cable.
I assumed the sockets would only be live when the ignition was off as that was the case on my last car. It’s not a major issue as my cooler stays cool for ages once it’s up to temperature so to speak.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel


User avatar
j3bnl
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am
Location: Forfar, Scotland

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by j3bnl » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 pm
The battery is in the boot so it would be relatively easy to install a socket from this, I would have thought. To be safe you will need to fit the correct sized fuse in the feed.
Thanks for the reply.
That will be the route I go down if running the cable under the rear bench is not possible.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel


User avatar
PhilB
Posts: 4647
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: South Buckinghamshire

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by PhilB » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am

j3bnl wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 am
I assume that the rear bench is like most other cars will lift up easily enough so that’s my next job to have a look at exactly what room is under there as you may well be right in regards to the plug end of the cable.
Removing the rear bench can be pretty tricky.
On either side of each front corner of the bench there are two release levers.
If you have a feel around in the tight gap where the bottom of the seat meets the carpet you can find them there.
Be prepared for sore fingers as they are real pigs to find and actually release the seat.
I found a flat blade screwdriver handy to help move them.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.


User avatar
j3bnl
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am
Location: Forfar, Scotland

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by j3bnl » Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 am

PhilB wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am
j3bnl wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 am
I assume that the rear bench is like most other cars will lift up easily enough so that’s my next job to have a look at exactly what room is under there as you may well be right in regards to the plug end of the cable.
Removing the rear bench can be pretty tricky.
On either side of each front corner of the bench there are two release levers.
If you have a feel around in the tight gap where the bottom of the seat meets the carpet you can find them there.
Be prepared for sore fingers as they are real pigs to find and actually release the seat.
I found a flat blade screwdriver handy to help move them.
Cheers thanks for the tips.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel


User avatar
j3bnl
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am
Location: Forfar, Scotland

Re: Boot 12 Volt Socket

Post by j3bnl » Tue May 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Well I got the rear bench up without a single drama and it took less than 20 seconds.
Was easy enough to route the 12volt socket cable under the boot floor once I removed the plastic cover that is right up against the rear seat. After that it was just a case of popping the bench back, clipping the plastic cover back and putting the boot floor and boot liner back in place.
Doddle.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel


Post Reply

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”