Thoughts on awful sat nav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Thoughts on awful sat nav

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 am

naro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm
2018 XE has awful navigation system that constantly suggests alternate routes and re calibration while there is traffic congestion. Not reliable.
To get the route to the local airport I need to enter the town, state , zip code and street address. I do not see where I can just enter the name of the airport. I use the free Navigator on my cell phone which is 100 times better. Shame of Jag.
You can choose to ignore any redirections or I think there might be a setting to switch it off.
Either way, I think a satnav should be there to offer alternative routes when there is congestion.
As regards your local airport, if you look in the search facility on the satnav there should be a section for "POI's" or places of interest.
If you look in that it will list local things like airports, hospitals etc etc so you may well find it's already in there.
Pongo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 pm
Is there a setting to make the crazy lady read the road names out properly? I'm guessing not as that would require there to be a setting (that I'm on) which was for "ridiculous road descriptions" :lol:
That used to annoy me too on my first one which had standard ICT.
It's seems to have changed on the Pro where the numbers are read out normally.
On my previous Merc her voice used to go up on the last figure to make it sound like a question ?
:D
I do miss the days when I used an old Tom Tom with Ozzy Osbourne doing the directions.
:lol:
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

JiggyJag

Re: Thoughts on awful sat nav

Post by JiggyJag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 am

PhilB wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 am
naro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm
2018 XE has awful navigation system that constantly suggests alternate routes and re calibration while there is traffic congestion. Not reliable.
To get the route to the local airport I need to enter the town, state , zip code and street address. I do not see where I can just enter the name of the airport. I use the free Navigator on my cell phone which is 100 times better. Shame of Jag.
You can choose to ignore any redirections or I think there might be a setting to switch it off.
Either way, I think a satnav should be there to offer alternative routes when there is congestion.
As regards your local airport, if you look in the search facility on the satnav there should be a section for "POI's" or places of interest.
If you look in that it will list local things like airports, hospitals etc etc so you may well find it's already in there.
The last option in the POI list is to enter name. I often use this and it's pretty good.
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”