Jaguar XE Forum banner

MERIDIAN 400W is changing the volume permanently

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  philfry 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am driving an XE with the built-in MERIDIAN 400W audio system (XE 200D MHEV, MY 2021, R-DYNAMIC BLACK EDITION). My model year is providing with JLR latest PIVI PRO system. Great improvement compared to my older INCONTROL of my former XE MY 2016.

As far as the audio systems goes it is generally doing a pretty good job. A little bit of rattling (coming from the right door panel) was fixed by the dealer within incredible 30 minutes. The rattling occured while playing low bass frequency at 61 - 64 Hz. By the way: The dealer was really grateful and impressed, when I provided him with a small "frequency generator app" to assist him during troubleshooting.

However, I am dealing with a problem from the first day: Sometimes, whilst driving pretty relaxed with a constant speed on a motorway (mostly 120 - 150 km/h) the MERIDIAN audio system suddenly starts to permanently change its volume from low to high and than back from high to low . It is doing that in recurring oscillating way: aaaaAAAAAaaaaAAAAAaaaaAAAAA. The volume then remains for nearly 5 seconds at the changed level before altering again. However, the environment (cabine) noise is not changing at all. No talking inside the car, no change of road surface, etc. ... nothing.

I thought maybe this behaviour is owed to a kind of "dynamic volume adjusting feature". Unfortunatelly, I have not seen an option to disable anything like this. Generally, not many audio settings can be set: treble, bass, subwoofer, left/right, front/rear. Right?

Is anyone facing the same behaviour?

PIVI PRO has received it's latest updates a few days ago. But the problem still persists.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards from Germany
Oswald

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Oswald,

greetings from Germany.

Any news on this?
I'm facing a smiliar issue but not exactly the same (2022 XE w/Meridian 400W).
The volume varies in a non-reproducible way (i.e. it's not related to the media file) when driving at something between 90 to 150 km/h and playing mp3/ogg/flac media files. When playing radio/dab it does not happen.
It feels like the sound system reduces the volume to send a notification sound which fails to appear – i.e. the volume is turned down fast to like half of the desired setting and turned back up after around one second. See my "artwork" below.
I have the latest software updates and today I sent a bug report to my dealer.

Best,
Phil

Code:
max ------.      .----------.      .------
          |     /           |     /
          |    /            |    /
max/2     |___/             |___/

min

#3 ·
Funnily enough, I've recently started noticing this on my non-pro Meridian radio. Volume subsides for a minute or so and then comes back to normal. I thought it was just radio 2 losing signal temporarily but maybe not?

#4 ·
Ahoy.
I'd like to dig this thread up for a little update.
JLR is aware of this problem, meanwhile there are plenty of XEs with the same or related sound issues.
Some radios could have been fixed by re-flashing the pivi software, some others not. My garage kept an XE for months for trial and error attempts, like extract control and sensor data from the vehicle, send it to JLR engineering, upload a patched control set, test, wash, rinse, repeat. They were unable to solve this issue with this car, so it got returned to the customer. Similar with mine: First attempt was to re-flash pivi, which made it worse. For the second attempt they kept my car for about a week before they gave up. But it seems that JLR has enough data for working on a solution which is announced to be provided in late february 2023. They expect it to be an ota update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.