Jaguar XE Forum banner

My solution to Jag's awful infotainment system

15K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  bugsrunner 
#1 ·
I love my Jag but the infotainment system really sucks especially when compared to the one I had in my Volvo. For the first year of ownership I had a smartphone permanently connected to the wi-fi hotspot and used that to stream TuneIn, Spotify etc. via Bluetooth. I've now got a better solution! I bought an Amazon Echo from the US months before it was released in the UK and loved it. As soon as the Dot was announced for UK release I pre-ordered one for my Jag. I have connected it to the car's Wi-Fi hotspot (could also use a smartphone hotspot which would also mean 4G) and then to the aux socket. I can now ask Alexa to play music from my Spotify premium account, Amazon Prime account, TuneIn etc. or even ask her to read me the news or tell me a joke, all without pushing a single button or taking my eyes off the road. There is a slight lag at the start as Alexa needs to boot up each time I power the car on and then also wait for the car's hotspot to go live but this takes less than a minute. The only other slight problem is that I can't see what's playing as there's obviously no text feed etc. via aux but I'm not bothered about that. Best £50 spent and I think Jag should offer a permanently fitted Dot as an option. The Dot fits perfectly in one of the front cupholders and I will probably try to hide the cables later but they're not too intrusive.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I only drink super strength espresso (or my own home brew beer)!

#5 ·
USB Micro power lead to 12v socket in armrest and 3.5mm auxiliary cable to aux socket in armrest. The Dot doesn't have speakers like its bigger sister the Echo so it's perfect for the car as the Echo also needs 240v power supply. I did try connecting via Bluetooth but the Dot seems to recognise the Jag as something cleverer than a bog standard speaker so it didn't like it. That's also fine as I was trying to avoid Bluetooth as I find good old cable sounds better and the Bluetooth also had some quirks when I was connecting the dedicated car smartphone. My proper phone still connects to the USB port for charging and also in case I ever decide to use the awful In Control apps. I also still have the old dedicated car smartphone with the Alexa app installed in case I need to tweak Alexa although I can also do that via my proper phone. Honestly, it's a near perfect solution.

#6 ·
The main thing is to try to remember to refer to Alexa by a code name when you're talking about her rather than to her! My Echo in my kitchen keeps adding toilet paper and dog food to my Amazon shopping basket every time the new TV advert comes on. ☺

#8 ·
Not the sound but the functionality. Alexa is the all seeing...

#9 ·
Aahh, I see. I thought when you referred to the awful infotainment system you were like many others who are not happy with the sound. :)

#12 ·
I did try putting Alexa in the armrest but she didn't seem to hear me very well (bit like the wife) and it's also handy being able to see the blue light on top so I know when she's listening. My house is awash with gadgets and I have an Amazon Firestick and a Chromecast on every television so I have some knowledge of Chromecast. The limitation for me is that I have to use a device to cast via it but with Alexa I only need her (don't tell aforementioned wife). The main reason I love her is because she's always on and always listening so there's no buttons etc. Having said that you can turn off the microphone if you want to but there's no need unless your wife / girlfriend is called Alexa. You can change the call sign to Echo so again, unless you have a wife called Alexa and a child called Echo (weird) you'll be fine.

#13 ·
Ah fair enough, I thought that may be the case. Chromecast is a good idea that would work well as you could use your phone to issue commands and all the cables will be hidden.
The start up time is probably quicker too?

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of kids born in the 90's named Echo/Ecco after the computer game :)

#14 ·
I had considered using some double sided tape to mount Alexa on the side of the tunnel or somewhere but I'm really not that bothered as you only see a few cm of cable and function overrules form in this instance.

#15 ·
Just thought I'd try this for a laugh with Alexa #2. I have latest ICT Pro and she won't connect to the Bluetooth. Unless I'm missing something I have no aux in under the armrest either for a wired connection, just 12V, HDMI + x2 USB... hmmmmm

#16 ·
mistral_blue said:
Unless I'm missing something I have no aux in under the armrest either for a wired connection, just 12V, HDMI + x2 USB... hmmmmm
Correct, ICT pro is a 100% digital system, so no analogue inputs.

#19 ·
Hi - came across this post and I have a space Echo dot so going to try it.

Quick question - do you leave the dot plugged in to the USB power all the time? Or disconnect when not driving?

Wondering about impact to battery if its left 'on' all the time? (or does the USB not draw power if engine is off?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.