Brake lights out?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Brake lights out?

Post by PhilB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Nice fella pulled alongside yesterday to say my brake light was out on the nearside.
Got home and yes, both bulbs out which was a bit strange.
Popped off to Hellfords this am and bought a two pack of Bosch replacements as manual says to replace both.
Once I had managed to wrestle the rear light unit out (a real fiddly pain) I undid the holders and had a look.
Bulbs are W16W push fit types.
Bulbs seemed ok.
Both seemed to be sitting a bit proud so pushed them back in.
Connected the mutiplug and both were now working again.
Don't know why but undid the holders again and they both could be popped firmer in again.
Did another test and they were off again.
:roll:
Thought f**k it and put the new Bosch ones in and they clicked firmly home and worked perfectly.
Had a look at the indicator, reversing light and side light bulbs and all could be pushed back in a bit but all were working ok.
I don't know if it's vibration or what but the existing bulbs (Toshiba) didn't sit as frimly in the holders as the Bosh replacements.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Spitfire

Re: Brake lights out?

Post by Spitfire » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Cue all of us now going out to check our brake lights :D

That's good to know you have identified a solution, very useful.
R-Sport 200 Dark Sapphire, Panoramic Sunroof, Chrome Window Surround, Jet/Oyster Interior

CharlesH

Post by CharlesH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 pm

I had the same problem on both of my XEs, changing both bulbs on the side that was out wouldn't fix the problem. Jaguar Assist came out, inspected the unit, sprayed some electrical connectors cleaner on the bulb holders and untwisted some of the wiring to the light cluster. Needless to say, it wasn't the bulbs but most likely the tightly twisted wiring.
XE S - Ultimate Black - Panoramic Glass Pack - Black Pack - Advanced Parking Assistance Pack - head up display - heated/cooled seats - garage door opener

Original delivered 01/09/2015 - REJECTED
Replacement delivered 02/07/2016 - REJECTED

Bluefire65

Post by Bluefire65 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Having been kindly told that my nearside brake light was not working, and being inept with anything requiring practical skills, I would normally use the local garage to replace the bulbs. However, as I will be in the vicinity of the main dealer tomorrow, I rang them to enquire whether they could do it on the spot for me.

Lucky I did, because lo and behold, they have informed that there is a known issue and the whole back light unit needs to be replaced under warranty; so I am now booked in Wednesday week for the job to be done while I wait.

Nothing on Topix for my vehicle in relation to this issue, so whether it's hot off the press I know not but given mine is a 2016 model with only 12K on the clock, it seems unlikely. DIYers be aware.
Portfolio 240PS: Bluefire, Gloss black side vents and exhaust tips, Sienna Tan, 18" Star 5 spoke wheels, Surround Cameras plus bits and bobs. Now P/Xd for F-Pace

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen this thread, and it explains how I've noticed quite a few XEs on the road with brake lights out. It struck me as a little odd considering their age!

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeh I've seen a few also. Will keep an eye on mine
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

moose

Post by moose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Both brake bulbs on offside out on mine.

Just off to have a look and fiddle some wires :shock:

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

moose

Post by moose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Bulbs were fine but, as PhilB said, not a very good fit so will get some new Bosch ones.

Closed the bulb holder contacts a bit, cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and all working again. No twisted wiring in sight.

Removing the offside cluster is fun due to the fuse box and a few other bits in the way.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Britannia

Post by Britannia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am

Hi All

Mine Offside brake light not working for a couple of days. Got the warning triangle on the dash, Not fun to replace offside as a Fuse box is in the way. I assume that the Cluster has to be unscrewed and pulled away.? Need to get to Halfords and get Bosh bulbs. How on earth do you get a 10mm spanner in there . Oh well wish me luck..

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 am

Britannia wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am
Hi All

Mine Offside brake light not working for a couple of days. Got the warning triangle on the dash, Not fun to replace offside as a Fuse box is in the way. I assume that the Cluster has to be unscrewed and pulled away.? Need to get to Halfords and get Bosh bulbs. How on earth do you get a 10mm spanner in there . Oh well wish me luck..
Not sure you need a spanner?
On my previous it had a big plastic "wingnut" type thing which you loosened and tightened by hand.
Yes, apparently the offside is a pig due to the fusebox.
Once the "nut" thing is undone you should be able to lift the rear cluster out and get access to the bulbs.
Make sure it's snug and tight when you do it back up to stop any moisture ingress.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.