Jaguar remote - almost useful

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
ColinR

Jaguar remote - almost useful

Post by ColinR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 am

When I first got the car I had a play with this and thought, that will be useful when it gets cold. Sadly on the 2 days this week so far when I would have liked to fire up the car remotely it has come up with a slow network error and refused to start the car. I've had to nip outside to start it manually.

It is currently showing as last contacted 30th October at 23:20.

Is this a general issues or am I just in a rubbish network access area? What would happen if I had a prang or wanted to contact Jaguar Assist?

CaptainNoddy

Re: Jaguar remote - almost useful

Post by CaptainNoddy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 am

My remote climate works about 3-4 times out of 5. It seems to depend on how I park up the night before. The ‘driver exit’ feature certainly seems to cause an issue with remote engine start - that’s when your auto S/S kicks in when you come to a stop in your driveway and then the car shuts itself down/selects P when you unclip your belt and take your foot off the brake.

Generally if I think I will want remote climate the next morning, I make sure I select P with the engine running and I seem to get a better hit rate.

You’ll know if it is a network problem easily - if you can lock/unlock the car without any trouble then your network is fine.

Remote Climate is hit and miss overall it seems. But as I’ve said here before - I spent 15 minutes yesterday trying to get my Wemo WiFi lightbulbs to be visible on my phone app before I gave up and tried again later. Then they appeared long enough for me to turn them on but they immediately disappeared again afterwards.

It just seems to be the nature of these connected features. They all (Jaguar, Wemo, Nest, Evohome, etc) have the feeling of a beta, first round prototype design sadly....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am

This tends to crop up this time of year when people start using the remote climate thingy.
In many cases it's a crappy signal and in others there can be an issue with the app not being up to date etc.

A couple of things that might help.
Delete and reinstall the app.
Clear out as many of your old journeys as you no longer need (best done on the incontrol website where you can delete pages at a time - the phone takes forever) this will help it load quicker.

The emergency button and the Jag assist button work on a separate built in sim that is already in the car which also let's the car give its location on the app, list journeys etc.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

wecpcs

Post by wecpcs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 pm

ColinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 am
When I first got the car I had a play with this and thought, that will be useful when it gets cold. Sadly on the 2 days this week so far when I would have liked to fire up the car remotely it has come up with a slow network error and refused to start the car. I've had to nip outside to start it manually.

It is currently showing as last contacted 30th October at 23:20.

Is this a general issues or am I just in a rubbish network access area? What would happen if I had a prang or wanted to contact Jaguar Assist?
I just tried the remote start today as a test and it gave me a slow network error and that it was still trying to connect, so I then shut down the app. Then a few minutes later I heard my cat start up, which quite surprised me, so I assumed it was correct in its message about still trying and that it was obviously been held in a network queue. But at least it did work.
XE Prestige 2.0 Ingenium Auto, Fuji White, Light Oyster Grained Leather Seats & Trim, Adv. Parking Assist, Auto Dimming Power Fold mirrors with Approach Light & Space saver spare wheel.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm

That could be interesting if it suddenly kicked in and you didn't know about it!

Visions of the car starting up all by itself because it feels a bit chilly!

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:58 am

Third time lucky. It worked this morning. Mind you it was quite mild so not really needed.

EagleOne

Post by EagleOne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 pm

I just tried the remote start today as a test and it gave me a slow network error and that it was still trying to connect, so I then shut down the app. Then a few minutes later I heard my cat start up, which quite surprised me, so I assumed it was correct in its message about still trying and that it was obviously been held in a network queue. But at least it did work.
I had exactly the same experience on Monday.
MY18 XE R-Sport 25t Caldera Red

EagleOne

Post by EagleOne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Yet another dismal failure this morning and then this evening when the app flashed an error message I go out to the car and find it running. And what's more, the app is trying to tell me the alarm isn't set when it absolutely is. The remote app is a really useful feature in principle, pity only 2 drivers can use it at the same time :roll:
MY18 XE R-Sport 25t Caldera Red

billvega

Post by billvega » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 pm

What phone are you running the app on?
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 am

I can't offer any further advice than already has been unfortunately, but it's a shame you are having problems with it as mine (like others) works perfectly every time. It must be a reception or handset issue. I don't know what network the built-in SIM uses but perhaps it's one that is not so good for coverage in your area?

When I was on Android, sometimes it would throw a connection error after the car started but coming out of the screen and going back in would update it and show it was working.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”