Jaguar XE Forum banner

DAB reception

13K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  PhilB 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone else suffered from the Standard ICT DAB reception dropping out, either mid journey or initially when turning the ignition on/starting the car.

1. 50% of the time, when starting the car it begins with FM reception then after 5-10 seconds reverts to DAB reception.

2. Whilst driving, DAB reception will drop out and reverts to FM reception on the same location e.g. same stretch of the road. Previous cars with DAB never encountered this.

3. When it does switch to FM reception, the volume is substantially louder than DAB.

Very annoying...

#28 ·
Hi

My DAB loses reception and deletes all the stored stations frequently, very annoying!

Never happened on my Merc.

My Driving special modes also disable themselves so you can only drive in "Normal" until you stop and restart.

Regards
Darren

#29 ·
Darren XE said:
My DAB loses reception and deletes all the stored stations frequently, very annoying!
My Driving special modes also disable themselves so you can only drive in "Normal" until you stop and restart.
I seem to recall the issues with stations being deleted was cured with a software update on other people's cars.
The driving modes being disabled definitely needs dealer attention and probably another software update as well.

#30 ·
Mine always drops out in two specific areas near to where I live, one near a police station and the other near a fire station. I assume it's something to do with their radio transmitters/receivers.

#31 ·
Phil,

I've had numerous replacement courtesy XE's and none of them have experienced DAB drop out on the same commute...
Still waiting for response from Jaguar Technical JCR

#32 ·
My 2016 XE has always had poor DAB reception compared with my previous car (Audi A3). Also the Audi somehow managed to keep the FM signal in sync time wise with the DAB signal (DAB is always around 2-3 seconds behind FM due to the encoding/decoding), presumably by delaying the FM audio to match the DAB delay. The XE doesn't do this so every time it falls back to FM, it's very noticeable as you get the same 2 seconds of audio again!

However recently the DAB reception has gotten much worse, I'm now losing signal in areas where it's previously been fine so I'm wondering whether there's a loose cable or the amp needs replacing. For now I've gone back to FM for the BBC national, but 5 Live on AM is horrid :cry:

#33 ·
j3132uk said:
However recently the DAB reception has gotten much worse, I'm now losing signal in areas where it's previously been fine so I'm wondering whether there's a loose cable or the amp needs replacing. For now I've gone back to FM for the BBC national, but 5 Live on AM is horrid :cry:
Try a refresh of the DAB lists first just in case they have been messing around with the frequencies which they do from time to time.

#36 ·
j3132uk said:
PhilB said:
Try a refresh of the DAB lists first just in case they have been messing around with the frequencies which they do from time to time.
I don't get that option on the wider display option. I guess it simply does it in the background.
Apologies, I should not have assumed it wasn't the pro.
Just had a play with mine (the pro that is) and yep, no obvious way of refreshing the DAB list so must assume it does it in the background.
Found the ways of selecting different types of stations and the full DAB list and also the linking to the corresponding FM station which was off on mine.
Might explain why some don't get the Fm version if the DAB drops out.

#38 ·
Just a bit more drivel from me on this one.
Last Sunday was driving home and about 5 minutes into the 30 minute drive I got the "no reception" thing on my fav DAB station.
Didn't worry as it normally comes back after a few seconds.
But it didn't come back.
Pulled up the list of DAB stations including BBC R2 and all had no reception.
Switched over to FM and carried on.
Next morning the DAB was back as usual and even came on in the garage as I was about to drive out which it hadn't before.
So I think it may well have been having an update (pro system) when it disappeared the day before.
All is back working perfectly ever since.

We know that updates can be done remotely (ICT Pro) without any driver action as my Nav had an "update" the other day whilst the car was parked outside the house so I can only conclude the DAB had to go off for a bit whilst the update came down the pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.