CTEK Battery Charger

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Kushanku

CTEK Battery Charger

Post by Kushanku » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I have got myself a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. The XE manual says "If the vehicle's battery should require charging, the battery must be removed from the vehicle. Consult a retailer/authorised repairer." which is nonsense. For those of you using CTEK chargers, do you use a 12V socket with the CTEK convenience pack (which I don't have), remove the spare wheel (which I do have) and connect straight to the battery or use the under-bonnet points used for jump-starting? Or doesn't it make a blind bit of difference?
Kushanku

XE Portfolio 200PS Ingenium Petrol
Metallic Yulong White with Sienna Tan interior and Satin Ash Burr Veneer.
Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Sound System, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Split Folding Rear Seat, Spare Wheel

Bazzamf

Re: CTEK Battery Charger

Post by Bazzamf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Kushanku wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm
I have got myself a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. The XE manual says "If the vehicle's battery should require charging, the battery must be removed from the vehicle. Consult a retailer/authorised repairer." which is nonsense. For those of you using CTEK chargers, do you use a 12V socket with the CTEK convenience pack (which I don't have), remove the spare wheel (which I do have) and connect straight to the battery or use the under-bonnet points used for jump-starting? Or doesn't it make a blind bit of difference?
Although the manual states that the battery should be disconnected and removed from the car, have a quick look at this video. It's not for the Jaguar XE but a BMW. However, it seems to be very similar. He does make reference to not connecting to the battery direct.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:49 pm

I have fitted the convenience socket to mine but this is connected directly to the battery without any problems.

20180624_144012-1209x1612.jpg

MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Kushanku

Post by Kushanku » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm

147daytona wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:49 pm
I have fitted the convenience socket to mine but this is connected directly to the battery without any problems.

20180624_144012-1209x1612.jpg
Thanks for your input 147daytona. Looks like a good setup you have. I don't actually have a 12V socket in my boot so I think I'll go with the under bonnet method.
Kushanku

Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Sound System, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Split Folding Rear Seat, Spare Wheel

Kushanku

Post by Kushanku » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Bazzamf wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:49 pm
Kushanku wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm
Although the manual states that the battery should be disconnected and removed from the car, have a quick look at this video. It's not for the Jaguar XE but a BMW. However, it seems to be very similar. He does make reference to not connecting to the battery direct.
Thanks Bazzamf for that video. Looks like I will be using this method or a variation of it. My XE is not garaged but behind locked gates. So open to the elements. So I might try whats in the video but try and keep the charger and the extension lead socket under the bonnet. Not that there's much room in there!
Kushanku

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Vespa is the "go to" man on here for all things CTEK so I'm sure he will give his advice when he is next on board.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm

There has been a few members buying the CTEK battery charger. My car has been in the dealer's for the second time due to the S\S not working and both times they have charged the battery over night. This does the trick for a couple of weeks and then it stops working. I am now considering whether to invest in one of these to recharge the battery every couple of weeks or so. Are they as good as they appear?
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:32 pm

I have the CT5 Stop Start battery charger, which I have been using on mine, but as a previous post lasts for 3-5 days and then S/S stopped working
Note I was told by tech to connect to positive Battery terminal and earth point in boot, not directly to battery negative, as it needs to be before the BMS module which is part of negative terminal lead connection
However, I also have been in again to dealer, and they tested battery which they claim is fine, and did some form of software update (did not tell me what and receipt does not show), and 3 days later, S/S has started functioning correctly, only time it doesn't work is if you have aircon on auto and it is pumping air thro at a high rate.
So at moment I am not going to need to charge battery, long may it last!
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am

Hi gents and ladies. I bought the Ctek MXS5.0 but it does not appear to be the same as in the video as it is usable in cold weather without going to any cold weather position with temperture compensation. Mine has four charge settings, motorcycle, car. AGM and Regen. I use it on car and AGM with the occasional regen boost. The last 3 times I used it I gave it the recon boost and since that the S/S has worked all the time within a mile or so of travel. I have connected it to an earth in the boot and the red battery terminal and to both battery terminals without any problems. I also observed in the dealers that they use both under bonnet and direct to the battery for charging. I am convinced that any position is OK. The Ctek people also provide a permanent bolt on plug set up for both terminals as well as the clips. As you can see there is also a boot plug available if required. I never lock mine whilst charging so nothing is running eg alarm etc. From the video and from others experience in different cars the S/S problem is in many models if not driven frequently. A neighbour has a Honda Jazz and does similar short journeys to me and her battery went flat this week. Regarding removal from the car, this is a safety issue because of hydrogen gases produced when charging and the fact that some chargers cook batteries.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Kushanku

Post by Kushanku » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 pm

My CTEK is the same as Vespa's i.e. no special cold weather setting and a setting for AGM & Regen.

For those that want some timings, my XE is a year old this month and I have no problems with S/S (I always disable it before driving off). I connected the CTEK to the under-bonnet posts and did a full charge and regen. It took about 12 hours. I also have a Boxster with a 6 year old battery and connected directly to the battery, did a full charge and regen and it took about 9 hours. The XE battery is 80Ah and the Boxster 74Ah.
Kushanku

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”